Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wow! That's ridiculous.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

The thing I find particularly amusing about this and most hybrid cars is that the people buying them think they are doing something great for the environment. The mining involved for the batteries in these things makes a huge environmental impact. Not to mention how are you supposed to recycle these cars? I'm sure we'll come up with another government funded program soon to figure that out. Like the comments below the article mentioned it really does seem like the movie idiocracy will be coming true in the next few generations if we keep it up.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Cliff Notes:

1. Your tax dollars went towards building the Volt.
    2. Your earned income will go towards buying a Volt if you want one.
    3. In other words, you will have paid for these turds twice if you choose to own one.

Makes perfect sense. Don't even get me started on the debate over battery manufacturing pollution vs. my Mustang's exhaust pollution. The number of hybrids and batteries being manufactured and sold vastly outweighs the number of '85 Mustangs still on the road, so in the long run my 26 year old car is more green than a Prius. (no pun intended on the paint either lol)
    -EVIL SSP-
    '85 KY Highway Patrol SSP Coupe
    Walk around/exhaust clip

-David

I've often said that buying any new car is a less "green" choice than continuing to use one
    that already exists. But then, "being green" is not nearly so important as "looking green".

These days, "green" is just the new color of BS... All the rest is the same as it ever was.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

I love how electric cars are called zero emissions. So there's no emissions involved in the generation of electricity, right? Last I checked the vast majority of electricity was generated by burning some fossil fuel.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

I'm gonna preface this by saying I love my Mustangs, but if I was buying a new car today it would be something like the Volt or whatever version there-of that Ford brings out next year.

I've done a bunch of reading on the Volt and it's a pretty neat car. Firstly, it's not a "plug-in Hybrid", it's an "extended range electric" car. The difference is, a hybrid uses electric power up to a certain speed, say 19mph, and then the engine kick's in. The Volt is always driven by the electric motor and when the battery level drops to a certain point, or when the load is higher, the IC engine kicks in to recharge the battery.

In this respect, it has advantages over a hybrid because, if driven within it's effective range, you will very rarely need to put gas in it. It also has advantages over a full electric like the Nissan Leaf in that you won't ever run out of......electricity. Also, GM set the required electric only range of the Volt at 40 miles because studies showed this is slightly less than most Americans daily commute.

Now, given, they're not perfect, but the battery argument, to me, doesn't hold a lot of water. The environmental impact of mining lithium-ion (Li-I) can't be worse than the impact of drilling, extracting, transporting, refining, transporting and burning fossil fuels. Besides, Li-I is used in just about every form of re-chargeable battery. In your laptop, cell phone, Ipad, mp3 player, digital camera etc. and I've never heard anyone raise concerns about the environmental impact in that regard. Besides, if you compare the amount of Li-I used in cars as opposed to consumer electronics, I'm sure the ratio is miniscule. As for recycling, the rest of the Volt is a regular car so remove the battery and send it to the junk yard. Job done.

People having been hawking lately about Volt's "burning after crashes". If I remember correctly, the cars in question caught fire after the NTSB conducted crash tests and then didn't follow "GM's procedure for battery discharging after serious accidents". Don't worry folks, this isn't "exploding Pinto fuel tanks". If a Volt gets a hard enough hit to cause the battery pack to catch fire i don't think the car will be sitting in your garage when it happens.

I'm not a tree huggin' hippy, and i do see a lot of the inherent problems with these new generation cars, but I think the days of cheap fuel and the 15mpg car are over. Many people are nervous about new technology and until the infrastructure is in place owning one of these cars isn't necessarily easy. I think the Big Three and Big Oil don't really want to build these cars, see the "Tucker" story, but GM realize this is a burgeoning market. I think they cost to much, I'd be happier if a Volt was $25K. I'd rather the Volt got 100 miles to a charge. I could go on.......

For me, ultimately, I look forward to the day I can drive my car to work without using any fuel derived from foreign oil, purchased from an oil company receiving massive Govt. subsidies, diluted by ethanol derived from Govt. subsidized corn.

I'd rather see my tax dollars pumped into American innovation that helps American manufacturers and American workers make products stamped MADE in U.S.A.

I look forward to the day when I can drive my car to work on electric power derived from the solars panels on my roof or through the hydro-elctric stations on the Columbia River. Plug it into the solar system at work and then drive home to receive my rebate check from the Electric Co. for the power my solar system is returning to the grid.

Oh, and I'm gonna race my Mustangs on the weekends
    Ausie, Aussie, Aussie
    Oi, Oi, Oi

84 1C SVO "Blackie the Wonderbeater" (DECEASED!!!!)
    84 9L SVO T-TOP (under restoration)
    84 1C SVO T-TOP (Deceased)
    86 2R SVO (roller, future pro-tourer)

My sister-in-law bought a Volt. She said she used 15 gallons of gas to go on a 1500 mile trip. She plugs it in at home and also plugs it in when she parks it at work, she drive about 40 miles one way.

Me, I will just burn e85 in the Capri and have a zero emissions turbo monster. Much more fun!
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

Thats cool if people want to buy a volt, thats there own choice I can understand people wanting to save money on gas.. It just pisses me off the 250,000 kick back per each car that gm gets... If that isn't a bailout in disguised what is?

Electric cars only increase the demand for electricity.

Where do people think it comes from? Almost 60% of the electricity in the U.S. comes from burning coal.

That's "green"!!!

Until we find a "green" way to actually produce the electricty for these cars, they're not any better for the environment than a 72 Buick.
    Cars:1982 Mercury Capri RS, 5.0 HO
    1973 Ford Maverick, 250 L6, C4
    1977 Ford Maverick, 250 L6, C4

FEP Senior Member

I believe they are having issues with fires during side impacts now. I saw a "deal" saying they would buy your volt back if you didn't feel safe. ? I will try and find a link.

Here's another article about the Volt.

LINK.

Quote Originally Posted by joey7508 View Post
    I believe they are having issues with fires during side impacts now. I saw a "deal" saying they would buy your volt back if you didn't feel safe. ? I will try and find a link.
    They will buy it back, trash the vehicles, and keep the remaining $250k.

I wish I thought of that first. But alas, it was not meant to be.
    No longer visiting. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by 82CapriRS View Post
    Electric cars only increase the demand for electricity.

Where do people think it comes from? Almost 60% of the electricity in the U.S. comes from burning coal.

That's "green"!!!

Until we find a "green" way to actually produce the electricty for these cars, they're not any better for the environment than a 72 Buick.
    Actually worse than a 72 Buick.

As was mentioned above, the mining of all the minerals for the batteries, the toxic process to refine those minerals and the the toxic process to make the batteries. Plus I believe the materials are shipped all over the world for the different steps, so that is obviously impacting the environment. Not to mention I have never had rechargeable batteries work out for me. All my RC cars would eat batteries like there was no tomorrow. Not to mention if you want to go somewhere that's more than 100 miles away you better figure out where you will recharge and make a reservation for a hotel room for the night because you won't be driving home the same day.

Anyone seen this: http://www.greencar.com/articles/toy...d-race-car.php It uses capacitors instead of batteries.

Here's a video of it. Kind of spooky http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpf0uYHZImQ the hairpin at 3 min or so is pretty funny. Guess this is an exhibition and the car wasn't built for tight street courses.

Just to let y'all know. There is no known way to put out a Lithium Fire. Just contain it and let it burn itself out... which will take time. lol.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

One question. When was the last time you saw someone driving a Hybrid that looked like they were happy. **** them, **** hybrids. Electric cars have been around for over 100 years. If they were the most effective way of transportation, they would have taken over gasoline in the 1920's.
    79 Capri RS
    341 rwhp,348 rwtq 11.20@127

1939 Pontiac Deluxe 6. 73,xxx original miles. Barn find. Currently the secomd owner.

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

Does anyone know where the largest Lithium deposit is ?? And why we spend so much for our military to be there per month ?

Quote Originally Posted by varn82 View Post
    One question. When was the last time you saw someone driving a Hybrid that looked like they were happy. **** them, **** hybrids. Electric cars have been around for over 100 years. If they were the most effective way of transportation, they would have taken over gasoline in the 1920's.
    Actually, even though the technology was there 100 years ago gasoline was less expensive and of coarse the people that wanted to sell gas made it so any other competition could not compete.

Just like the paper companies pushing Cannabis out. There is cannabis that you cant get stoned off of. It was used for many things. But, the paper barons waned to sell paper and managed to convince the US law makers that cannabis was a horrible horrible thing.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

Quote Originally Posted by nuckinfutzracing View Post
    Does anyone know where the largest Lithium deposit is ?? And why we spend so much for our military to be there per month ?
    Let me see if I can get this one.

Are you referring to what are believed to be large lithium deposits in Afghanistan, and lithium's role in bonding hydrogen into lithium deuteride, the fusion fuel for thermonuclear weapons?
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Its funny, all about how they can get our money, its all about the not so mighty dollar.
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    83 Project GT T-Top Coupe
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

This is great news - and now they've been recalled. Maybe the government can pay for the recalls too?
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

FEP Power Member

Here is some more fuel to the fire.............

After taking huge subsidies, and our bailout money, GM is considering moving production of the volt to CHINA.

Looks like Nobama really hit a home run with his plan to help create new jobs with our TARP funds.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...RIzOxXwysCAgkg

FEP Senior Member

Here's an interesting article on electric cars.
    http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...ctric-car.aspx

Default 2022 Cheyy Bolt EUV (electric utility vehicle)

Rode in and drove a 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV yesterday evening. Impressive and memorable ride for sure.
    First time I ever connected an all electric car to charge in a home garage.
    'gas' door opens with a press to access car charging ports. Plastic car end connector is shaped like a gas nozzle without the valve lever.
    Charger has interchangeable pigtails for 120v or 240v (shown) Tasteful front facing green LED light pod on dash when charging.
    Breakers on, first power up of newly added 240v socket box. Top two breakers in subpanel are for overhead garage heater.
    Name:  2022 Bolt charger.JPG
Views: 265
Size:  23.9 KB
    Motor and trans. Orange harness' under hood warn 'do not touch'. Main battery cooling system is not unlike a regular car. Rad, hoses, elec fan.
    Name:  2022 Chevy Bolt EUV B (2) 3030.JPG
Views: 257
Size:  44.2 KB
    Built at GM Orion Assy, MI.
    Name:  2022 Chevy Bolt EUV B (3 3030).JPG
Views: 257
Size:  17.4 KB
    2022 and 1969. Been in both. The Bolt may give the SS a good run for the money up to ???.
    Name:  2022 Chevy Bolt EUV B (1) 3030.JPG
Views: 256
Size:  26.7 KB

Impression notes.
    Was not different to get in and drive the EUV nor get back in and drive the Mustang to go home except for using keys and knobs again.
    Had adaptive driving on 'super cruise' roads. No hands or pedal needed. Green led bar on top of steering wheel lit when activated.
    Steering wheel has buttons and paddles that activate special driving features.
    Distance to car ahead is adjustable, auto braking and accel. Was set to 4 cars behind spacing.
    If car in front switched lanes or one cut in front, the car compensated for that.
    Orange led in mirror blinks when another car to the side is near it.
    Certain Caddys have had this for years. Not Chevy.
    Flat floors no hump. Did have console. Wonder how a bench seat would be like.
    'transmission' PRNDS selection control buttons are power window style. Pull button 'tab' to select gear. No stick or dial.
    Car handles quick with low center of gravity due to heavy battery loc.
    On center feel of steering is noticeably more than our Mustang's. As if it had auto return to center.
    Two easy play lcd touch screens. One cluster, one main center, large icons. clean looking dash.
    Car is 'animated' on the big screen. Side view diagram, road wheels turning.
    Also back and forth power flow, from battery to motor and back, as smoke like rendering.
    Something like graphic warning display car we have, enhanced action on a LCD.
    Wiper arms were almost like tandem wipes. Followed the same arc across whole ws.
    Excellent horns nice and loud sound like air horns.
    Large 2 section power glass moon roof. Back seat area looked spacious as any.
    Front seat belt latch was too low between the seat and console.
    Power? Punch it and head will snap back to head rest. It scoots.
    Regen mode will slow car down as if braking easy but without touching brakes.
    Side cameras and graphics simulate overhead view to park in garage, etc.
    Rear view mirror offered normal or rear camera for night driving.
    LED bar fuel gauge is KWH used per mile. Many ways to check battery charge state and miles avail.

https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v.../2022-bolt-euv

Default unsafe at no speed

Only the beginning. Preview of electric car future? All batteries have danger potential.
    Fuel fires Pinto, Crown Vic, others, engine fires. Airliners.
    Low production vehicle, billion dollar recall. Electric cars not be inexpensive or practical to own?
    Talk about global warming- how about a house warming- or burning down?
    What good is the whole deal it if cannot charge overnite or leave in garage?
    I guess if car is totaled by accident or spontaneous fires, saves junkyard space.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ecall-battery/
    past owned daily driven many memorable times with all
    1967 Mustang 'verti Sports Sprint 289 Holley 4vC4 2.79 lime gold blk vinyl (6/70-4/73) 100k
    1970 VW 113 Beetle modded 1650 5200 2v 4sp Hurst 4.13 grn blk leathette (1973-1977) 200k
    1975 VW 1303 S Beetle LaGrande 1600 EFI 4sp Hurst 3.88 lime grn tan cloth (1977-1980) 90k
    1985 LTD LX 5.0 CFI HO AOD 3.27 gray gray (1987-1990) 75k
    1986 Ranger XL 2wd 7' bed 114 wb 2.3 EFI 5 sp 3.45 gray burgundy cloth (1990-1994) 180k
    current owned now weekly driven totally enjoyed
    1979 Mustang Cobra 61R 2.3T Holley 2305 2v '92 T5 Hurst 3.45 black orange decals (7/80- )
    1993 Ranger XLT R103 2wd 7' bed 114 wb 2.3 EFI 5sp Hurst 3.45 calypso green gray (3/94- )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast