Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FEP Power Member

California suddenly thinks it's power comes from solar cells 24 hours a day and not the advertised window from 9 am to 4 pm. Some how they forgot about all emissions generated in making those solar panels. Not many of them are being made in the USA. They are not incredibly efficient and I would expect to be tripping over them constantly if there were enough in play to produce all that assumed generated power. I'm not an expert in any of this but I am more knowledgeable than most in one areas.

Electric cars, great idea to try it again some 100 years later. I just don't believe we are there yet and unsure of the big picture sacrifices that will be made along the way.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

x2 well said

The other week younger brother rented a small uhaul trailer to pick up three nice used 396 engines.
    Mich to NJ. Dodge Nitro and trailer.
    Try that with electric. No gas and go pit stops.
    Charge, wait ?? of time. x amount of times. Wasted road time. Average speed drops 50% or more.
    Hope can make it to next station and wait ?? of time to charge again.
    Timing on the trip. ETA to way points and destination really an unknown if charge stops are needed.
    Or be real late for work, dinner, store closed, having to charge a stupid battery.
    The 1.00 worth of gas to make it there changes to quick charge with unknown range.
    Inaccurate electric charging gauges are just like guessing how much propane is in the bbq grill tank.
    And hope no all too familiar storm power outages screw up things big time.
    Is automotive tech going backward relying on computers to work everything out at any cost rather than just being a powerful tool?
    Less use of brainpower/practicality/common sense that worked fine in the past. Neither way is perfect all the time.
    Products half created using only thumbs for typing as fast as possible on a little view screen.
    High cost computer power is great for many things and sucks for many too.
    There is constantly changing unknown non linear limits as to timeline or hardware availability.
    Back to the 1900's i guess. Reinventing what is already tried and true only for the sake of change?
    We all know unrealistic tinkering to seek non-guaranteed desired results can result in worse outcomes.
    Corporations and humans with little or no patience like many great inventors of the past had?
    Creating non durable high tech product that requires too many resources and employees to learn and work way beyond their capacity.
    Hope that waves of the future are not tsumamis
    Last edited by gr79; 12-14-2021 at 04:48 PM.

I really don't understand what California is thinking right now, but again that assumes they are actually THINKING!

They don't have enough capacity to feed their current electrical grid needs and have rolling blackouts often to account for the inability to supply enough power. How do they plan on supplying enough electrical power to all these electrical vehicles after 2030 when they outlaw the ICE.

Nuclear power is still the cleanest, best way to produce large amounts of electrical energy, but NO ONE wants it in their backyard due to the possible disasters that can occur. I understand the thinking, but the path we are on as a country is going to be a gigantic mess unless the power to be don't pull their heads out of their backsides.

Electrical vehicles are cool and have some huge benefits, but the charging and battery technology as well as the infastructure is not at a point yet for us to completely abandon the ICE. Here in Colorado you see the Teslas running up and down I70 between Denver and Grand Junction and I am sure there are some that actually make the @270 mile trip, but if you add in bad weather (Hmm Colorado Snow), Vail pass being shut down, Eisenhower tunnel shut down (just like it was Eastbound on Sunday), etc it doesn't take much for any electrical vehicle to get stranded or have to stop to recharge before reaching either destination. I just made the trip both directions last weekend for my daughter's college graduation in my 2021 Bronco and got 24 MPG in 4 wheel Auto and only had to fill up in Denver for the trip back. Considering the Bronco is a flying brick in regards to aerodynamics I was pretty happy.

If you want to see some real world towing with an Electric vehicle here in Colorado, check this link out. I definitely won't be buying one anytime in the near future. I think the new Ford Lightning is cool and would be great around time and maybe even for driving over the Rockies, but not sure I can use it like I normally use my trucks.

https://insideevs.com/news/366120/vi...g-steep-grade/
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

24 mpg Bronco excellent. Now thats a ride. Finally a change for the better are out there.
    Maybe AAA will add generator to tow trucks or build generator rescue vans for stranded EVs.
    May be a good self employment racket to invest in someday. 100.00+ charging call fee.

Have Ryobi 18v drill, impact wrench, and use them all the time.
    Cost more than corded equivalent even on sale, best complemented with 2-4 spare batteries and couple of chargers.
    Larger Ah batteries last and make power, but are costly and make the tools tiring to use.
    Like printer ink, new batteries prob are the money makers. Batteries last 5 years, corded elec use minimal.
    Of course, lower cost brand x replacement batteries are out there online.
    Been a few times had to go to the corded tool or air version to do the job. Sanders for one.

Have a 2008 HD/Rigid pivoting 9.6v screwdriver does what 18v will, 20 min charge. Lifetime battery repl.
    Discontinued of course.
    Battery vehicles to be like tool brands, low end and high?
    Then have tool voltage changes 12v, then 14.4 then 18 then 20 then 40v. The Ryobis, Makitas, Milwaukees

Have briefly started and moved a 48v Ryobi 30" riding mower (HD left the key in) was very cool, no way can justify the cost.
    2000.00 cost (low est), cut 1x week for 7 months = 28 cycles, into 2000.00, /20 years= 4.00/per mow.
    The 38" would be about 6.00/mow.
    Cost to charge not included, unknown. Figure .25-50 per charge per.
    Current have 1995 10.5hp 30" gas rider (550.00 new, 26y, 28 cuts/yr)= .75/per mow + gas/oil. Figure 1.00 or so.
    Parts cost extra on both. 48v battery life prob 5y, gas engine 20+, 25.00 starting battery also 5y.

Am assuming car comparison would be same. Why is the hybrid being skipped? Small engine sipping gas, charges battery.
    The tech bridge. Maybe too complex and not much more cost effective? Even if, can charge or help battery on the go.
    Or leave battery power out of the equation like a diesel locomotive. Tiny gas turbine APU? Fuel cells?

Car/truck: no interchanging universal batteries, or crate battery, diy rebuilding, and/or change out with cherry picker.
    Last edited by gr79; 12-14-2021 at 07:19 PM.

Default Brand new Hummer EV bricks itself

Ha Ha wont hear about this one very much.
    Perfect example of computers and software again complicating simple things way more than its worth.
    Is not the very high cost, to do the same basic thing our cars do, not enough?
    Driving a car or truck is not a game. Nor is it an automated trip to the ISS.
    Rolling down windows to reboot or restart a vehicle? Gimme a break.
    Add an online owners manual? And have no idea what to look for? More time wasted.
    Hope emergency services like EMS pass on EV fleets. Oh..hold on...we have to shut down your life support to reboot....

Today my home pc would not boot. Screen full of error messages. Replaced the dead CMOS battery.
    All is well like nothing ever happened. I do back up main files once a week and have a spare pc.
    Clue was time and date was not being saved in the bios. Was back up in less than an hour.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...mpaign=content

Default EV charger info

Was at Ikea today.
    They have several parking lot ev chargers.
    No one was around, so i pressed the button for the charger's info menu.
    Ikea set the charging cost. Was .19/kwh
    Car (Mustang E) was on charger a little over 2 hours.
    Charging cost was at 2.22.
    I think the battery recharge rate said 10 kw per hour.

I noticed 3 new EV chargers at work yesterday, 350kW, on top of the ~10x 75kW chargers. How many houses would that electric feed?

Quote Originally Posted by teal95 View Post
    I noticed 3 new EV chargers at work yesterday, 350kW, on top of the ~10x 75kW chargers. How many houses would that electric feed?
    That's interesting. Unless I'm missing something in my calculations my house which has a 200 amp service @ 240 volts would have a total capacity of 48kW. But of course I'm never using close to the full capacity at any given time, while I assume those chargers are using nearly their full capacity when hooked up.

That's a lot of power to be messing with. What could go wrong?
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Default yes what

Ice Storm. Massive power outages in SE Michigan Wednesday. 500k customers. Some areas still dark.
    Having an EV would definably add to anxiety as to no recharging available.
    My Ryobi 18v battery packs and Ryobi 150w inverter powered a 10w led lamp for hours.
    However, was down to the last full 4ah pack. 3-4 hours of light. Inverter has one 3 prong and 2 usb outlets.
    The packs can power a small 40w tv but that noticeably drained them 2x faster.
    Almost had to go Saturday to a warming center like the library to recharge them or break out the generator.
    The car and truck could have charged them but that would have taken hours running the engine.
    Gas range and gas water heater worked the whole time of 40 hours. Good old fridge stayed cold.
    Small portable Sony radio used up 5 AA.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...534a8450&ei=89
    Last edited by gr79; 02-28-2023 at 12:16 AM.

Neighbor was mowing his lawn with an electric mower
    could not hear it running except for occasional swishing sound no motor humming
    is that safe?
    why the focus on a quiet world?
    i have an old twin blade 50's Sunbeam works fine you know when its on.
    Last edited by gr79; 05-05-2023 at 10:01 PM.

Default lose power, get grounded

Electronics go dead with power loss even on a cool new GL freighter with first class owner/operator.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...e/70226915007/
    past owned daily driven many memorable times with all
    1967 Mustang 'verti Sports Sprint 289 Holley 4vC4 2.79 lime gold blk vinyl (6/70-4/73) 100k
    1970 VW 113 Beetle modded 1650 5200 2v 4sp Hurst 4.13 grn blk leathette (1973-1977) 200k
    1975 VW 1303 S Beetle LaGrande 1600 EFI 4sp Hurst 3.88 lime grn tan cloth (1977-1980) 90k
    1985 LTD LX 5.0 CFI HO AOD 3.27 gray gray (1987-1990) 75k
    1986 Ranger XL 2wd 7' bed 114 wb 2.3 EFI 5 sp 3.45 gray burgundy cloth (1990-1994) 180k
    current owned now weekly driven totally enjoyed
    1979 Mustang Cobra 61R 2.3T Holley 2305 2v '92 T5 Hurst 3.45 black orange decals (7/80- )
    1993 Ranger XLT R103 2wd 7' bed 114 wb 2.3 EFI 5sp Hurst 3.45 calypso green gray (3/94- )

Default L-ion batteries are causing more havoc as time goes on.

Small tool batteries are great a lot easier to keep safe but be wary.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...s/72509631007/

Watched live coverage of below massive fire for 2 hours. Crazy. Was a couple miles away from my old neighborhood.
    Building used to be a Save-A-Lot market and dollar store years ago.
    Li-ion batteries again and gaseous vape supplies. Butane, nitrous canisters and shrapnel, open switch blade knife projectiles.
    TV news had to land their choppers, which were getting hit with flying debris doing live aerial coverage.
    Nearby business' had roof damage.
    3 of 4 local tv stations covering this very dangerous situation live ran commercials. Fox 2 stayed on it no breaks.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...s/72851330007/

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/nati...troit/3373386/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12