Close

Default 1986 Hatchback Interior / Carpet

Hello friendly FEP users,

I am tearing out the interior in my 1986 GT hatchback and re-doing it.

painting panels, new dash pad, carpet, upholstery, etc.

I'm getting my carpeting from Latemodelrestoration.com and theres a bunch of different options as to what to get and im not sure what to do because I dont want to get the wrong one...

I want mass back for the sound deadening, but the '84-89 Hatchback Dark Grey (with and without mass back) doesnt include hatch carpet.

They have hatch carpet separately, but its another $80.

Has anyone replaced the carpet in a (preferrably 85-86) hatchback 5.0 before and knows what to do? and what I have to get for it to be right?

well i just did my carpet on my 86 5.0 hatch

went with ACC front carpet from FMR (same brand LMR sells)

I got the basic (non mass-back & when it was out a sprayed with undercoating for sound deading)

It was easy just reamove the front seats the have a total of 8 bolts (4 each) , and the rear bottom seat has clips and pops out. Then u can start removing the center console its easy just look where's there is screws and unscrew and the electic clock and stuff unplug the plug ins and then its ready lift out then unscrew ur kick panels and sail plates and u should be able to lift the carpet right out and for installing the new one if u go with a ACC brand carpet if u look on the underside of the carpet they should have circles where the holes need to be cut take a knife cutter and cut X's where the small circles are and cut the shifter and ebrake as its marked (dont be affraid to make the two cuts ur center console well cover ur cuts and for re-installing ur seats,sail plates ,kick panels ,console its the same reversed as un'installing

The whole process takes a Phillips Screw Driver.

hope that help its really easy and simple take me about 30 mins or so!
    86 GT WORKinPROGRESS

yeah, ive already got the interior torn out...

did you replace the carpet in the hatch area as well?

I have done this in my other car. The link to my restoration thread is in my sig and if you go to page 2 and scroll down I have good pics of both sides of it. It is very simple. Still only need a screwdriver like the above poster said, even if he was confused.

4 screws is all that holds it in.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

my question was more related to which carpet to buy, more-so than how to do the carpeting job itself...

dont get me wrong, i appreciate the help and i will definitely use these when i go to do it

but there are so many diffferent options to choose, I want to get the right option

The ACC color code for 86 grey/silver I believe is 857. I'd suggest ordering a swatch first to check color match. If you can hang tight for a day or two I can check too see if I saved any swatch samples.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

yeah, i live in Michigan and its winter (minus the snow) so my mustang is in storage in our barn with all the panels, carpeting, and seats, except for the drivers, out of it so, no rush

Id appreciate it

LMR has so many different style and color choices im not sure if i should go with Dark/SVO gray or light or smoke grey... my dash pad is charcoal and the interior panels i am painting Dark/SVO Grey, would the same color carpeting clash and look bad?

I would vote if ur painting the panels svo/dark gray then get the svo/dark gray carpet.
    Havent used Mass-Back B4 but , From what I hear is the fit isnt that great and since I have used the basic ,and it fits and looks great to me. I would vote for it also. No I havent replaced the rear yet but plan to do so soon. I got the charcoal gray it is really dark almost black. Im going to get the same color for the rear ,and Im also painting my panels also unsure prolly will go with svo/dark gray paint dye from SEM since that will match my dash and door panels. after its all said and done my dash , console & door panesl will be svo/dark gray and front , hatch , & door panels carpets will be charcoal gray.

hope that helped.
    86 GT WORKinPROGRESS

yeah, i had light grey that was in it when i bought it and it was stained, so i think the darker grey (SVO) would hide stains better as well (not that i plan on staining it)

could you post a pic of your car with the dark grey carpet?

also, my seats are the grey with the red/orange piping... not sure what yours are if theyre different

mine has charcoal carpet (I put some 99 gt seats for now had the red piping ones just they were broke down really bad)

here's a pic I got the panels out plan on painting them sometime soon

Last edited by lil86hatch; 12-26-2011 at 12:20 AM.
    86 GT WORKinPROGRESS

i like that look a lot more than the light grey

ill post a few pictures of mine as-is and when the carpet goes in (or in progress)

thanks for the help

this is only the first step in restoring it...

eventually ill do the headliner in the interior

i also want/need to:

-put my new tailpipes on
    -replace the 4.11 gear for a 3.73 or 3.08 (or similar ratio)
    -get the correct Marchal's w/ covers (have '79 Pace Car lights)
    -get it re-painted
    -fix exhaust leak
    -go through and rebuild motor
    -replace stock intake and heads with gt40's
    -replace the Sun Pro gauges with the Auto Meter's i bought
    -get new seat upholstery

and probably a few minor things im overlooking

Ill probably have a few more threads on here for when my personal Fox guru is deployed
    1998 SVT Contour #0003/Bondurant Instructor Car
    ^Currently Totaled^
    1993 SVT Cobra #2048
    1980 Capri RS

1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe
    1970 Boss 302 Trans-Am Package

If you change the floor carpet color, you'll also want to change the door carpet color.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

i realized, noticed, thought about that... but since it matches the edge of the seats in mine, ill be ok w/ it
    ^Currently Totaled^
    1993 SVT Cobra #2048
    1980 Capri RS

also when i bought the car, the seller included a new set of floor mats (light grey)

so ill keep those in there too because they match the seats and door panel carpet too
    ^Currently Totaled^
    1993 SVT Cobra #2048
    1980 Capri RS

here is my car as it sits now
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    ^Currently Totaled^
    1993 SVT Cobra #2048
    1980 Capri RS

the rest of my car... lol
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    ^Currently Totaled^
    1993 SVT Cobra #2048
    1980 Capri RS

the 4th picture in post #17 is a hole in the floor right underneath where the passenger seat would be
    ^Currently Totaled^
    1993 SVT Cobra #2048
    1980 Capri RS