Close

Default Cassette adapters

I have the stock Premium Sound System in my 85GT vert and I take advantage of a generic cassette adapter to play music from my Sandisk MP3 player.

I see that they have more expensive adapters out there, but will a better adapter improve the music quality much or at all? Mine is just a generic adapter that I got free from Siruis a few years ago with a portable satellite radio player I bought. Do the more expensive adapters just include the player controls or do they also improve sound quality?

Thanks, Rob
    1985 Mustang GT Vert
    Factory Medium Canyon Red, original top, gray leather, 5-speed, stock premium sound, Flowmaster 40's, BBK x-pipe, MM SFCs, polished 10 holes, Enkei black mesh, 3:73's

Past Rides
    '82 GT
    '84 GT
    '89 GT
    '90 GT
    '96 GT
    '00 GT vert

In my opinion I would say no. The system tou have is analog not digital and cannot convert the information Buy the cheap cassette converter and get louder exhaust'
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    83 Project GT T-Top Coupe
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

I have a cassette adapter for my 85 vert that also has the electronic Premium Sound system. The unit I utilize is the Griffin Smart Deck which allows you to control the ipod from the cassette deck...which I really don't do unless I am in a pinch given my 3rd generation ipod is a touch screen. When I first hooked got it up and going the sound was much clearer which allowed louder music. I have since replaced my front speakers and it took it up a notch! I do have new back speakers that I have not installed as of yet but know the sound will get even better. Typically 95% of the time I ride with the top down but Christmas eve had to leave it up since it was drizzling rain and I met up with a local member for coffee. I was impressed with the sound while riding around with the top up.

IMHO the only way you are going to improve the sound is by replacing the speakers with some quality units. This will help to a certain degree that you have to take with a grain of salt and realize the system is what it is for its age. This is the route I took given I wanted to keep the stock setup. I have seen some of the older 60's Stangs at local shows that mount another newer head unit under the dash below the stock unit either above the center console area or just to the right of that below the glove box. This is just not an option for me as I would just get a portable jam box unit and buckle it into the back seat.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

there is also a company, cant remember the name right now, that will take your unit and make it a high quality one with rca in and out in the back and even ipod/mp3 hookup's
    841/2 GT-350 vert
    88 GT vert (wifes)
    96 Mystic Cobra
    66 Gt-350 clone
    76 Bronco
    77 Bronco
    03 Harley-Davidson Softail
    01 Lightning
    08 King Ranch F-150

I plan on keeping the stock premium sound system in my 84 Capri but I will replace the stock speakers with better aftermarket units. For ipods there is another option too. A company called dice electronics makes a really slick adapter that plugs directly into the antenna lead. It's not an FM modulator (I used one of those in my truck for a while and the sound quality sucked) it actually broadcasts the signal. So you set the tuner to one station and when it's on the Ipod plays through it. It has a remote too. So you can tuck the ipod in the glove compartment and control it with the remote. And because it's Ipod specific it charges it too. A friend of mine has one of these with the factory radio in his 90 BMW 325is and it sounds great. I had intended to use the same thing in mine but the factory amp in my BMW was toast so I just went with a Pioneer head unit.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

This cassette unit sounds just as good as the units that have the adapter or go through the antenna as it is a direct hook up. You can still listen to the radio if you want also. But more importantly, no modifications are necessary...just insert the cassette into the deck and hook the other end up to your ipod or what ever.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

What's a cassette? (sorry I just always wanted to be able to post that somewhere)

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
    What's a cassette? (sorry I just always wanted to be able to post that somewhere)
    You sound like a broken record.
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    83 Project GT T-Top Coupe
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!