Close

Default New head unit install, but no brackets to "hold" the head unit

When I bough my 86' the only thing missing was the stereo unit, and all speakers. Today I have ran new wires and installed new speakers and the head unit. At the end of the install is when I went to install the Head unit and had no "brackets" to "hold/steady" the unit in the slot. It fits in the slot cleanly but if i drag launch it would proably fly out..and it sits with a lean since nothing is holding it in.

My question is, what kind of brackets did ford put in these cars and where can I get another set, donner car ect...

Thanks,
    James

Having the same issure my car didnt have a radio in it when I got it , and now Installed one there is nothing holding it in place. It slides back all the time.

So I would also like to know where to get a bracket to hold it in place???
    86 GT WORKinPROGRESS

Yea,, those two brackets coming off of the front, I do not have them. Who ever took the old unit out just cut all the wires behind the center console and left no brackets. I have since rewired and installed a new system. I guess I will have to fab. some of my own brackets. I still havent scavanged the local junk yards, but I am assuming most of the mustangs are raped by this point. I guess we can see....Does any one know of other cars that had a similar setup that I could possibly use instead of mustang and capris?
    Thanks,
    James

FEP Power Member

I had this same problem about a year ago. Jeff, aka 85GTTops, was good enough to provide me with these part numbers.

E5ZZ10A860A - RH Front Bracket
    E5ZZ10A860B - LH Front Bracket
    E5ZZ18888A - Rear Bracket

I found the 2 front brackets at Green sales, and there were not many available after I bought my pair. The rear bracket was unobtainable at the time, so I just used a scrap piece of aluminum and made my own bracket. It can't be seen after installation.

I think the shippping on the 2 front bractets was more than the price of the brackets.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by DeraldRice View Post
    I had this same problem about a year ago. Jeff, aka 85GTTops, was good enough to provide me with these part numbers.

E5ZZ10A860A - RH Front Bracket
    E5ZZ10A860B - LH Front Bracket
    E5ZZ18888A - Rear Bracket

I found the 2 front brackets at Green sales, and there were not many available after I bought my pair. The rear bracket was unobtainable at the time, so I just used a scrap piece of aluminum and made my own bracket. It can't be seen after installation.

I think the shippping on the 2 front bractets was more than the price of the brackets.

Hope this helps.
    Derald -

I just ran all three part numbers at the Green Sales website. They have 1 each of the l/h and r/h brackets, but the rear bracket is not available. The OP should give them a call tomorrow and snap those front brackets up!
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Maybe an aftermarket bracket would work for parts. The one I purchsed from Crutchfield uses the two front pieces and of course the standard slip-in mount for aftermarket head units. It also comes with a rear bracket. A guy might find most of those pieces useful for a stock install.