Close

Thread: Speaker wires

Default Speaker wires

Hi everyone, I recently bought an 86 5.0 notch as a project car and I have billions of questions but this should be an easy one but let me explain first.
    I'm working on interior parts since its winter, and I'm looking into CD players and speakers. The last owner had cheap Clerions and a Jensen head unit and no sound was coming out at all.

All of the speakers were hooked up with radio shack speaker wire, no harness, just twisted and taped into the speaker wire holes. As I stated its an 86, but it has 93 doors (i think) so it also has speakers in the doors, in the dash, and behind back seat.

But my question is, where would I get a new wiring harness with male and female connectors to hook up to new speakers? I could simply rewire it, but i would still like it to be a clean install with connectors.

BTW, out of everything that I've searched for the past 4 hours, this site is really helpful and I hope to get the help I need and to hopefully share some useful knowledge in the future.

is this what you need

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_103000/...s.html?tp=2977

Also is the factory amp still in the dash because if so it will need to be bypassed

That may be a start, but does that plug into a stereo? What would I need to plug into speakers? And to be honest I havent had much time to even play with the car with mechanic school and work, so I'm not 100% sure about amp. its located in the dash correct?

The speaker connections depends on the speakers that you buy. Crutchfield is good for folks that do not know how to do such things. Their parts usually come with connection components for free. Plus you get lifetime technical support. I would suggest that you go that route and let them help you teach you what is needed to connect stereo components. How is your soldering skills?

FWIW, I've run the proper Radio Shack speaker for many years in my vehicles without fail. :-)
    85 GT convertible

the harness i sent will connect to the harness coming out of the back of your aftermarket had unit and make it plug into the factory female connector for the speakers and what not. and the amp is in the center of the dash on top

Quote Originally Posted by Puter View Post
    The speaker connections depends on the speakers that you buy. Crutchfield is good for folks that do not know how to do such things. Their parts usually come with connection components for free. Plus you get lifetime technical support. I would suggest that you go that route and let them help you teach you what is needed to connect stereo components. How is your soldering skills?

FWIW, I've run the proper Radio Shack speaker for many years in my vehicles without fail. :-)
    I can solder, and I know how to hook up components if I had the correct parts, but this guy did some crazy things that make no sense (car had no tensioner pulley, trunk and gas door release are taken apart and 3rd brake like wires were cut just to list a few). And although I have to fix his screw up, I just wanted it to be easier thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by ekim7971 View Post
    the harness i sent will connect to the harness coming out of the back of your aftermarket had unit and make it plug into the factory female connector for the speakers and what not. and the amp is in the center of the dash on top
    Thats my question though, I dont have the factory speaker harness, so where would I buy one? I guess I'll take a look tomorrow to see whats going on. Its a cluster of wire in there and havn't had the time to really take a good look. I'm still in the process of taking out the interior parts for paint. I'll take a look tomorrow to be sure.

If that picture you sent me was for an after market head unit, then the car must have one due to the CD player that was in there.

Thanks for the help guys. Now how do i hook the gas door release? I have to open the trunk and pull the cable. lol