Close

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Nice find. But this looks like a car that was in a FLOOD. I work in insurance and I've seen the signs of flood damage cars. Be careful when starting up the engine.

Engine turns over fine thankfully.
    We shall see. Still working on getting it running.

If you're looking for a fuel tank, I did a quick search over at eBay (my favorite shopping place). Getting a new tank for your car is a fairly easy an inexpensive venture.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

FEP Senior Member

I bought one for a conv awhile back at Autozone, they had it in stock in the store, seems like it was a tad under $100.
    Mark
    86 SVO,(9L)
    94 Cobra
    70 Boss 302 (OFO2G121150)
    54 Ford Victoria

Got one from another member local. Out of a 92 and it is totally and I mean TOTALLY spotless inside. Clean, fresh metal. $40 out the door. The tanks at Advance, Autozone etc. are now $110. Same price at NPD, LMR but then you have shipping too.

Remember these are different from the 5.0 tanks. It has a fuel pump in the tank so it is the "3 hole" version. Same all the way up to 1993 for all the tanks with this setup.

Default call me

Know a lot about these cars. Give me a call. 9732774294

Don

Thanks very much. I am sure I will end up needing your help. Going to put the new tank, filler neck gasket and new pump in first. I still may sell the car outright so I am not sure I want to R&R the sending unit just yet. Already replaced the rail pump and filter. The fuel line is unhooked at the engine so then I will verify we have fuel and try to light the wick on this 145hp beast.

Default It Lives!

After 13 years of silence, it lives. Runs very smooth and starts up instantly. Has some weird noises but didn't get a chance to diagnose at all. I cracked the oil feed going to the Turbo when I was trying to change the rear plug.
    so now I have to splice that I guess. Anyone know what size the tubing is?

On to the progress. I got my tank and a lucky gift with it. The shiny pump cage and pump were in the tank I bought. That cage is $109 at Advance and the pump in it is at least that much. Going to try to sell those and recover the cost of the tank so hopefully it will end up being free.

Also, I was able to R&R the (irreplacable) fuel sending unit and got it working again.

Look how new this fuel pump and hanger assembly is. Fits a 87-93 5.0. I tried like hell to get the low pressure 84 pump mounted in this hanger but could not make it secure. Ohh well. I will be able to sell it.

Last edited by homer302; 12-20-2011 at 07:52 PM.

FEP Senior Member

Default 84 gt

I did the same thing with an 84Gt EFI that has a similar set up. It is very rewarding to get one running that has sat for a long time.Nice work!

cant wait to see how this one turns out!
    original v8 AOD car For Sale
    1998 Mustang GT Vert

www.dslocum-photography.com

sweet car! them little 2.3s never die lol

Default JACKPOT!

I found the build sheet today. Pics are coming shortly. I'm too excited to wait. We are having some family over that doesn't understand how important Mustangs are (can you imagine??) so I have to pretend to enjoy sitting there waiting on them.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Default As Promised. Build Sheet Found

Found the build sheet and stripped out the interior. This things runs like a sewing machine. Really smooth and idles nice and steady. I am not sure how the interior got that dirty but there is no way the car has been under water. That build sheet would never have survived in perfect shape like that and the dirt is all over the inside, even the dash. Also that hatch carpet would never be in that good shape. All that sound insulation and spare tire cover would have long since fallen apart.

Check out those floorpans. The hatch carpet looks brand new. Interior panels are undamaged. I don't think anyone has ever had the door panels off. Look at the vapor barrier and dust shield intact.

Even found a Yoohoo Cap!

Last edited by homer302; 12-24-2011 at 09:09 AM.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Last edited by homer302; 12-24-2011 at 09:23 AM.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP Senior Member

That looks nice. The carpet in my convertible looked about the same as yours, I hung it up and took Purple Power cleaner and the pressure washer to it and it came out clean and useable. It took about a week hanging up for all the underlayment to dry out though.
    Mark
    86 SVO,(9L)
    94 Cobra
    54 Ford Victoria

Looking Good. Those floor pans are in awesome shape The rest of the car looks very solid as well.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

OK, a few things going on here. I replaced the oil-feed line going to the turbo with a decent piece. Notice I took the time to add back the clamp to keep it from rubbing on the firewall all the time. What they don't tell you is there is no way your Sending unit wire will reach after you install this. So I am going to have to extend the wiring. I don't mind that. Modding stuff is fun.

Also did some cleaning. Cleaned the engine a little. I painted one of the interior panels with SEM Napa red and I was not impressed. Took over a can to get this far and there is more to go and it's expensive. I did make certain to wear surgical gloves and properly degrease and prep the panel. I even bought the SEM prep and did a proper wipe down. It does not cover at all and I am not changing the color. I can't imagine changing one of these Canyon Red panels to black. It woul take $500 worth of SEM paint.

And yes, for the record, that is the same carpet, only cleaned. New carpet is only $100 bucks but I want to do this on the cheap so I wanted to see what I could do with it.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

I like the recent batch of pics - you've done quite a bit in a very short time. I can't believe how different the car looks after having a bath! I like the result you've gotten from cleaning the carpet. It actually makes me want to have another go at my carpet, which is the same color, but didn't have nearly as much dirt as yours.

Don't let the slow progress with the plastic panels discourage you. I know that you said that it doesn't look so good, but when I compare it with the earlier pic of how it looked when you pulled it from the car, I see a big difference. I understand what you mean about the cost of the paint - I can't believe how much money I spent in cans of paint for my car and my interior is mostly white. I haven't done the console, dash or dash pad, which is Canyon Red like yours.

I've had lots of people here at FEP say that the interior painting process requires a lot of patience (and paint). You're off to a good start, so if it takes another can or two, don't let that stop you. Like you, I've been attempting to restore my car on a low cost budget, but as it turns out, sometimes the result you want is going to cost a few more dollars than you expect.

Keep up the good work - you're doing a terrific job!
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Its nice to see the progress you made, especially on the carpet, it looks new. I get alot of satisfaction doing this kind of work and I bet you are too. For the interior paint, you can go to an auto paint supplier and get the paint by the quart and spray it with a touch up gun using a small compressor. SEM makes the paint and they are based in Charlotte. If you can`t get SEM brand, you can also use PPG brand, which is what I use. Both companies make the flexible paint for what you are doing. They are available in pints and quarts. Your paint supplier will mix it to the correct color and you don`t have to thin the paint, it comes ready to spray. I use about 20 psi pressure and use a two gallon compressor available for less that $100. The spray gun is about $30. Using this method you get a very nice smooth finish. Using spray cans just can`t come close. If you don`t feel comfortable using the spray gun, just go to a used car lot and talk to the guys in the shop that reconditon the cars. Alot of the guys at these car lots will do this as a side job pretty cheap. The paint is only like $35 for a quart. With a quart I would be able to cover all the rear interior panels the dash and console with no problem. Be sure to take the interior color code off of your door VIN sticker when you go to the paint supplier. I have been doing this kind of stuff ever since I worked at a used car dealer back in the mid 80`s when I was in high school. I never was trained to do this, but just figured it out on my own and I would guess that you could too based on what you have done so far with the car. GOOD LUCK!

FEP Senior Member

I have used SEM red on a couple of cars and was pleased with the coverage, however you do have the option of getting a quart mixed to be sprayed through a paint gun, might be less expensive that way. I had a quart of the correct tan for a 84 mixed, have yet to spray it. I do have a paint booth and all the necessary stuff on hand, so it all depends on what you need to buy in order to spray.

I have never had to use the adhesion promoter. I just wash the parts down with Purple Power cleaner to where no water will bead up and air dry and paint. I have never had a non-stick issue and have done several interiors, or parts in the last few years with no problems.

Carpet looks great.
    Mark
    86 SVO,(9L)
    94 Cobra
    54 Ford Victoria

More progress. Changed the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat today. That huge bar and pipe is how I broke the crank pulley bolt loose. The rubber mallet is what I used to get the pulley itself loose. That and PB Blaster. Primed and painted the pump and thermostat housing so they won't rust. Yes, I am going to change the hoses but that is easy to do with the car together. Notice the staple in the lower radiator hose clamp. That is OEM 1984. Also, the water pump is the original one. Has E3Z.... part number on it. I also got my replacement hard water line. Tomorrow is heater core and that line.

Last edited by homer302; 12-31-2011 at 08:02 PM.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP Senior Member

Awesome pictures, looking forward to this thread!
    1986 Saleen #26 - Saugus Pace Car
    1988 Range Rover Classic - The Shop Truck

Homer302,

What did you use to clean the carpet? Mines nasty and yours came out very well.

Thank you,

Mike
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Great thread! Great work!

Are those rims metric? I noticed on the 999 report from Ford that is says 15.36" tire size.
    2007 SL55 - Capri Blue - Leather, 487/560 WHP/WTQ at 13.5PSI

Got more done today. Does anyone know why Forced4 makes their coolant lines so much longer than stock? Seems like they could save money on metal and charge me the same and make more profit?? I don't get it. It's not like you can cut it because they put a flare in it. So they don't intend for you to cut it. I am going to have to get a non OEM heater hose for that line. Won't be a big deal but what the hay?
    This thing does not miss, hesitate, nothing. It is quieter after the timing belt replacement. Think that is due to the tensioner and water pump probably. It runs 100% so far. Starts as soon as you touch the key and settles into a nice steady idle. No surging at all.
    To answer a question. I used non diluted Simple Green and non diluted Purple Power and a pressure washer to wash the carpet. Only washed it twice. It does look great.
    To answer the question above, I posted pics of the build sheet and if you look, the car does have the handling suspension. It shows the 220 55 VR390 metric tires. The ones pictured are some junk some previous owner installed.
    Today I put the water line from Forced4 on and did some detailing and replaced the radiator. Yes, I am going to do belts and hoses but that is not in the budget right now. I got the radiator from NAPA and it was $150 itself and belts and hoses are designed to be changed with the car put together. I had it torn down that far so that is why I put a water pump and thermostat in it.
    For anyone interested, The left heater hose looks like it was designed as a heater core bypass, LOL. That is the next to last picture. Looks like a factory heater core bypass. Ha. I have a new heater core sitting here in the box. I was going to replace it today but it is going to be 18 Tuesday and the engine was filled with straight water so I wanted to get anti freeze in it for obvious reasons. So that is why I went forward with the radiator swap and bypassed the core for now. I will replace it. The interior is totally gutted so it won't be that big a deal. Just wanted to get some fresh anti freeze in it.

Scroll up and compare the alternator, radiator mounting brackets, airbox, cam cover, master cylinder lid etc. Made a big difference in my opinion. I did not replace the alternator, I just cleaned and detailed it.

On to the pics!

Last edited by homer302; 01-01-2012 at 08:33 PM.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast