Close

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Finally got the exhaust done on the little Turbo ride. I think it came out great. Due to previous repairs over the past 30 years it had sections of 2-inch, 2 ¼ and even 2 ½. I wanted it done right and it is now 2 ½ from the turbo all the way back. No, it is not mandrel bent. This is not a race car. I also put a high-flow bullet catalytic converter on it. The muffler is a Magnaflow standard Turbo. I like it pretty good. I can tell it has more power too because it even gained 2lbs of boost! It went from 10 to 12 now. Yes I have gauge.
    We started with a used SVO down-pipe. Yes, we butchered it, LOL. Notice we also did it in 2 piece as OEM so I can service the transmission. It’s the details like this that make a job.

Here is the mis-match of what was on there. You think this flows well?

Here is how you stick a 2 inch muffler on a 2 ½ inch pipe. A BIG stretcher I guess.

New High flow bullet CAT. Notice in the third picture down we did re-use the hanger from the SVO downpipe and even the rear flange. No point in trying to re-invent the wheel, right?:

I never posted pictures of the Maximum Motorsports Subframe connectors. You can see them here. Made a WORLD of difference in a T top car:

The Stinger tailpipe. Why? Because not show car. Looks good to me:

Last edited by homer302; 03-02-2014 at 06:21 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP User

You, sir, have done an amazing job. In hindsight you could have called this "Project Elbow Grease." Making do with what's already there for the most part has yielded fantastic results. I can't wait to eventually work on my own GT Turbo replica on my Mustang. This thread is truly an inspiration. I know I could get more work done if I had a heated/cooled garage like you, though!
    Former owner of a 1986 Mustang SVO.

Yes, just found your thread and you have really amazed me - well done!
    Gary

Still going on her! Took advantage of the long weekend to replace the shocks and struts. That was the last major project left for now anyway. Still tons of smaller stuff to do. Been putting this one off. Thank goodness for impact wrenches!

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Nice to see another one saved!

I still look at the pictures in this thread every once in a while to keep me motivated on my black 84 GT. Car is really sweet.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I still look at the pictures in this thread every once in a while to keep me motivated on my black 84 GT. Car is really sweet.
    I do too. Homer had far more work to do than I did, but he has more skills, time and money, so mine drags on and on. Not to mention I'm easily distracted.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

I've seen it in person several times and it's every bit as nice as it looks here too.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Just reread this thread again. Just noticed that your car didn't have the cargo cover/privacy shade. Makes the inside cleaner.

I did have a question about the SVO boost gauge. Was it as simple as just running a line from the dist block to the nipple on the back? I have a bunch of stuff (including the gauge) from an SVO that ate a pole. I was hoping it was a simple install. No issues by removing the (useless) AMP gauge?

Bill
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Quote Originally Posted by billkandi View Post
    Just reread this thread again. Just noticed that your car didn't have the cargo cover/privacy shade. Makes the inside cleaner.

I did have a question about the SVO boost gauge. Was it as simple as just running a line from the dist block to the nipple on the back? I have a bunch of stuff (including the gauge) from an SVO that ate a pole. I was hoping it was a simple install. No issues by removing the (useless) AMP gauge?

Bill
    I do have the cargo cover. I have two of them actually There are pictures of it in the thread. Just a quick scan I see a couple pictures of it in post 333 on page 14. Yes to all your questions about the boost gauge. Agree the amp gauge is useless

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Thanks. Just didn't see the mounts for the cover in one of the pics.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Default Utterly amazing

i just spent the last 2-3 hours reading this entire thread....all 17 pages of it!

what you ah e accomplished, and how you have done it, have inspired me. I want to wrench on my 86 vert bad right now. But due to no garage and 21 degrees outside, no thanks! But when spring arrives.....

you our have taken a rough car, never deviated, and have made a ride that anyone would be proud to drive.

my hats off to you Sir. Job well done!

Nice work.....looks great.

I've still got the old girl. I was on call so I usually do projects to keep me busy and out of trouble since I can't get in to too much. I finally decided to break down and do the Fuel Sending unit. When I first got the car, I did get the OEM one working but I discovered it would give up once it got below a half tank and just drop to empty. It worked fine down to a half tank so I just kept it above there. Like everything aftermarket, I did have to "adjust" it slightly but it was minimal and it works great. The entire project took me 45 minutes and I mean start all the way to finish so it was far less time than I had dedicated to the project.

Here is the kit:

I got a new filler neck seal as well:

Step one is to remove the 3 filler neck bolts:

Then under the car, remove the 4 bolts holding the filler neck to body seal:

Then the filler neck retaining strap bolt:

Then the two 1/2 inch tank straps on the front of the tank and that's it. Just lower the tank 6-8 inches.

I used a brass drift to drive the old one out and the new one in. That is a critical step. Using iron could create sparks and blow you and your car up.

Here is the crusty 32 year old unit. Check out how thin that wire holding the float is in the middle!

You don't have to lower the tank very far. I did the entire thing by myself with a floor jack and a jack stand to steady it while I swapped it out. You can see the floorpan of the car at the top. It is enough to work the old unit out:

Here is what I had to adjust. I fiddled with it for probably 10 minutes before taking it back out. Notice the two locating tabs, one on each side. I could get either one in the matching slot in the tank but not both. I measured them and on the stock one the tabs were 2 1/16 apart and the new one was 2 3/8. I took some needle nose pliers and just bent them both in until it matched the stock one. After that, it slid right in.

Here it is after being secured in the tank:

Tada! Obviously I ran it low on fuel before starting this project.

Last edited by homer302; 04-23-2016 at 05:57 PM.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Wow, I hadn't seen this thread until last night! Nice save!!! I like keeping them as stock-appearing as possible, but your mods don't bother me. They can pretty much all be reversed in a weekend, if someone wants to really go back to the build sheet. But as original as that car is, I can identify with the concerns against modding it at all.
    And as far as the orange vs. red "Turbo" stickers, heck, most of the red faded out to orange anyways... If it had a black or gray interior, some blue Turbo stickers and molding stripes would look cool, or even fluorescent green! One thing I would definitely do differently would be to get a set of those new 16" TRX-style rims.

I've always been a V8 fan, but this thread further makes me really want a Turbo EFI 2.3.

Nice work!
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Homer, none of your pics show up any more. Any updates on this project? I followed it from the start, but lost it in the last 2 yrs.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Do you still have this car? I know you said several years ago you might sell it, just wondering what the current status is. STILL a great thread on a cool car.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Double
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617