Close

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 86 50CPRI View Post
    Awesome! Except now your air cleaner housing is looking .... 'out dated' when the rest of the car didnt look as good, it didn't stand out...
    Ohh yeah, I see that. Just haven't had time to address it yet. To truly make it look like it should, that is going to take a bit of time. I figured I could do that on a rainy day sometime. So much left to do...........
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

86 50CPRI

Man this car is turning out beautiful!! I love black, and yours is REALLY making me appreciate the 84GT.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Ohh yeah, I see that. Just haven't had time to address it yet. To truly make it look like it should, that is going to take a bit of time. I figured I could do that on a rainy day sometime. So much left to do...........
    The more you do the more you see to do. One step at a time. To see where this car came from and how much you have done in a such short time you’re doing a great Job. Your keeping me inspired. Keep up the good work.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Just read the whole thread! all i can say is you have done a Awesome job!!!
    00 GT Terminnated
    86 GT Vert 9L
    00 SVT contour

Past cars
    92 coupe 2.3t conversion, 85 SVO 1C, 87 turbo coupe 1C, 88 turbo coupe 1C,98 svt contour black

FEP Senior Member

WOW WOW WOW Homer, great job! I haven´t checked your thread recently. That front end looks amazing. I love the matte black center of the hood! Great decision!

Your car is turning out awesome! Totally love it. Congrats and continue that hard work.

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

So proud of you! I was wondering a little when I first saw the 84. I so admire the workmanship and desire. It is paying off. Good job!! Thanks for showing us Fox junkies it's transformation!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

We have a long way to go. I need to do a lot more to the outside before I really dial in the inside but since it was 105 today and I have AC in the garage, I decided to do some mock up on the inside anyway. I have fixed the water leak and the heater core and AC evaporator have been replaced so I can at least think about putting the inside back together. Nothing is bolted in. I was just trying to size things up and see what is missing or not fitting etc. Don't need comments about missing bits, poor fitting parts or wrong colored items etc. Seats still need cleaned but they were almost completely free and I have the matching back seats that look brand new too. I know there is a LOT left to do. I thought some of you might want to see some progress anyway. I don't have my good steering wheel in, no door panels etc.

YEP. That temp sender is in the shade. No joke.

No, I didn't put down hush-mat etc. This is not going to be a driver for me. The next owner can certainly install that. I don't care about noise in a 1984 Mustang. The AC will be working and this is a 4 cylinder, not a 5.0 so there is way less heat. I could tell that months ago.

Yes, this is the same carpet. I could buy new but I thought I could make the OEM stuff look decent. You be the judge.

Realized I still have to run a SAFE circuit protected wire to the power lumbar for these seats. That's why you do a trial run. I do have double netted Halo headrests that will go in as well. No reason to get in a hurry at this point.

Last edited by homer302; 06-30-2012 at 08:12 PM.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

that looks like a new carpet!!
    good job, the whole car is looking great

I dont have any of the sound deadening or carpet matting in my 84 turbo t-top, hasnt been a problem in 100 miles so far.
    1979 tangerine capri, 40k miles, sn95 8.8, spindles, eibach v8 springs, caster camber plates, manual steering and brakes, Lincoln master cylinder, rebuilt 2.3t/t5 from 85 tbird, nothing much!

I've been wondering what you've been up to. I actually was missing updates on yor progress. I like what I see of your interior so far. The carpet looks brilliant. I admit that I bought new carpet for my car (it was on sale), but after I saw what you did with yours, I'm tempted to give it a good cleaning and sell of the new stuff. I remember how frustrated you were with the SEM paint, but your dash looks terrific. The other bits you've gotten together look great together. I can't wait to see the rest of your updates as things progress.

Keep up the excellent work!
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Looks great, carpet cleaned up really good. Love the seats, I have a similar set destined for my 82...
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Made a little bit of progress. Put the vapor barrier on both doors, made the manual door panels a power lock and manual window. Not a lot but something at least. Before anyone asks, yes, I am aware the door panels are not technically correct for an 84. I just had to find some manual panels in short order for a low price and this is what I found. 99% of people even on this site would not know they are not correct plus I could care less anyway.

Last edited by homer302; 07-15-2012 at 05:34 PM.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

I actually applaud your choice of the 1981-82 door panels. I've always liked them and for a while, I considered looking for a pair of them, redying them white and then add the taller convertible carpet to them and call it a "custom" convertible door panel. Not factory correct, but who's counting? I never found a set, but if I do, who knows?

I love how your interior is coming together. When I think back to what your car started out as, I can't help but be amazed and inspired by the results. It looks like you don't have much more left to do on your project, other than enjoy it. If you're enjoying your Turbo GT half as much as I've been enjoying mine, it will be some time before you ever tire of it.

Keep postijg those updates!
    Bryan

You are doing a great job. And wow on the carpet.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

very nice work!
    1998 SVT Contour Daily Driver- K1 Racing Wheels CAI
    1985 Mustang GT T-top Black
    Freshened/Blueprinted 302-Heavily Worked GT40 Heads SS valves and Heavy Duty springs-1.6r Crane Cams RR-Custom Grind Comp Cam-Wieand Intake-Edelbrock Carb-MSD-King Cobra Clutch-World Class T5-Cobra 4whl Disc-31spl 4:10 rear-Longtubes-Strange 10Ways-Mac Exhaust with 3" Rolled tips-
    1984 RS Turbo Capri 100% Show car
    1982 Mustang GT

Looks great as usual!!!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Nice clean interior

coming along nicely

every thing is coming along nicely ,I been following ur build but didnt see u say what exactly u did when set sanding and compund .... such sand paper grid(s) and what brand compund did u use?

also would like to know what u did to restore the carpet as well?
    86 GT WORKinPROGRESS

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Not to get too far off topic....but do I spy an early 90's CBR 900RR in the background? Just glad it is not the black & red combo or I might be bugging you to sell
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by lil86hatch View Post
    coming along nicely

every thing is coming along nicely ,I been following ur build but didnt see u say what exactly u did when set sanding and compund .... such sand paper grid(s) and what brand compund did u use?

Carpet suprisingly cleans up VERY well with just some degreaser, a brush and the garden hose I posted a thread about this a few months back with my a piece of tan carpet...but I won't steal his thunder. Curious to know if he did the same thing.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by lil86hatch View Post
    coming along nicely

I used 3M 1500, 2000 and 2500 wet sandpaper. The compound I am unsure of the brand right now. I traded out some computer networking work (this is a budget project remember) for some compound from a body shop. there were 2 kinds and I used a foam pad on a home-use type polisher.

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Not to get too far off topic....but do I spy an early 90's CBR 900RR in the background? Just glad it is not the black & red combo or I might be bugging you to sell
    Nice catch. Yep, that's it. I had always wanted one but could not afford them when they were new. Finally got to a place where I could get one. This one is extremely clean, never dropped. Old school 2 Brothers full header, Pro Flo airbox and jet kit, Vance & Hines adjustable ignition, 1 down 2 up 520 sprockets etc. Fun little bike. I always preferred the red, white and blue so that's why I picked that one.

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Carpet suprisingly cleans up VERY well with just some degreaser, a brush and the garden hose I posted a thread about this a few months back with my a piece of tan carpet...but I won't steal his thunder. Curious to know if he did the same thing.
    A few pages back I explained how I did the carpet. I actually cleaned it last winter and am just now getting to put things together. I used purple power, simple green and a pressure washer. Didn't really scrub too much at all. Just stood there and held a hose.

Thanks for the comments guys. Looking forward to getting her on the road. It's just been too hot and I have been extremely busy here lately so haven't made much progress.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Today I reminded myself the definition of insanity again, LOL. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. For those paying attention since the beginning, I bought 4 cans of SEM canyon red earlier this spring and a can of the plastic/vinyl prep. It had horrible results. In fact, it was such a bad experience, I put all the plastic in the basement until today. So I got it back out and tried it again and same result. SEM paint sucks. I took all the original batch back and got more, same crap. It doesn't cover at all and it splatters something terrible. Every can I've had drops huge splatters of paint on what I am painting. I even tried a nozzle from another brand of paint that I know works good and same result. So I got pissed and went down to the local McParts store and picked something right off the shelf. Lo and behold, Amazing results. It's not just that red is hard to paint. Red SEM is impossible to paint. Turns out good 'ole fashioned Rustoleum Red works just fine.

So here is where we started:

Someone told me to paint white first and then red and it would cover better. So the first time, I used a can of SEM and I could see right through it. Then I painted it white. Then I used 2 more cans of SEM and still could see right through it. So off to the parts store I went and found this:

The results speak for themselves. This is a half of a can. I ended up using the whole can on both panels and it was all they had. So I had them order some more and I will finish it tomorrow. It still has some light spots but the results are amazing. Very impressed with this product.

Last edited by homer302; 07-21-2012 at 06:05 PM.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

86 50CPRI

wow!! Looks awesome. I'll have to try the Rustoleum when I redo my Capri!

On your bad SEM experience..I had a similar experience when I rattlecanned my Mustang. I had 12 cans of Duplicolor Satin Black, and as I was using them up, I noticed some would spray nice, and others would spit and sputter. I had one full can left for a nice even 'finish' coat, and wouldn't you know it..that one sputtered the worst! I have to wonder if shelf life isn't to blame? I probably could have shook it some more, but how much is enough? When you hear the ball inside banging around, you figure it is mixed, right?

I love your results!

What color of Red is that Rustoleum paint that you bought? I'm almost curious to try it on one of my kick panels to see how it looks in comparison.
    Bryan

FEP Senior Member

That's interesting that you say SEM sucks. I have used SEM NAPA Red (15273) which is a perfect match for Canyon Red on two different 84 GT 350s with perfect results each time. Most of the parts started out Canyon Red but I did change the color of two dash pads from blue and gray to red. I find SEM not to suck at all.
    Mark
    86 SVO,(9L)
    94 Cobra
    70 Boss 302 (OFO2G121150)
    54 Ford Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by MAPSVO View Post
    That's interesting that you say SEM sucks. I have used SEM NAPA Red (15273) which is a perfect match for Canyon Red on two different 84 GT 350s with perfect results each time. Most of the parts started out Canyon Red but I did change the color of two dash pads from blue and gray to red. I find SEM not to suck at all.
    Hey, have I got a deal for you. Since it's so good, I will make you a hell of a deal on 4 cans of it.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast