Close

Threaded View

Default 1984 1/2 GT Turbo Restoration

I can't really tell if this should go here or in online car show forum. Jturbo has a nice restoration thread of a wiped out '82 GT he is bringing back from the dead (restoring) in the online car show forum so I don't know. Don't want to violate the rules.
    I am just really excited about this. This is my first COMPLETE restoration but I have had more than a dozen Mustangs that I could drive any day of the week. 65, 66, 70, 94 GT 5.0, 2004 Screaming Yellow Terminator, 20th Anniversary GT350 etc. I have rebuilt engines, installed my own clutches, gear installs, water pump, alternators radiators, Cobra brake swaps on Foxbodies etc. Just never this much. This one was destined for the crusher because nobody else wanted it. So I stepped in and saved it. Or at least that is the plan so far. The driver's window was busted out and the interior is trashed. I now have a window sitting here in the garage waiting on the car to arrive and I paid $100 for an almost 100% perfect set of 1989 Tweed canyon red seats, front and back at the fall Super Swap in Columbus. They are cherry. I also have a perfect 3 spoke non-cruise steering wheel already for it. I hate this wheel so bad I could care less about cruise, whether it works or not.

Anyway, here we go. I will post good HD DSLR pics once I get it here before I start cleaning.

It sat under a carport with the hood open and the driver's side window is busted out. It has been inside for the last several years and has never sat outside of the carport where it could get rained on. It is just years of neglect. It has been parked since the mid 90s. Paint is original. Car looks stock to me down to the brickstyle catalytic converter. The carpet does not smell at all and I pulled it up and the floor looks great. Odometer reads 46,xxx so 146K, 246K? Who knows. Car has AC, defrost, tilt, cruise, intermittant wipers, T-tops. No cloth, sport seats (it has cherry sport seats now) or power windows.
    I also wanted to mention that both door hinge bushings are really tight and OEM. That is odd to me. You can rock the whole car by picking up on the back of the door. No slack or give in the hinge at all. I just can't imagine that this is somehow 45K miles though. These were famous for wearing out the hinge bushings from my experience.

Last edited by homer302; 12-11-2011 at 08:21 PM.