Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    FEP Senior Member burntorange84's Avatar

Yep, yep!

It looks awesome. Thanks for submitting the photo!

-j

Man, that is a beautiful car! Glad it was saved!
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Love it! What a great find and history behind it.

Great story, so glad you were able to bring this car back to life.
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

An update on this one. With the Mustang Club of America Grand National Show in Kansas City this year, I decided to pull some things together and enter the Concours Driven class. I don't really feel its a concours "restoration" because the car was mostly all original (except for repairs) but they said I had done too much paint work to enter unrestored. Here are a couple of pics of the car inside the Overland Park Convention Center being judged (it took an hour and a half!) Very happy to take home a Silver Award for the first time at a MCA show.

Name:  Image00005.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  98.5 KB
    Name:  Image00009.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  82.5 KB
    Name:  Image00010.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  65.7 KB
    Name:  Image00011.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  66.6 KB
    Name:  Image00012.jpg
Size:  49.0 KB
    Last edited by 83GTJIM; 08-28-2017 at 05:00 PM.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Silver at an MCA National? Very well-done, especially considering what the driver's door looked like only a few years ago

Congrats on the silver win!!! I hear our very own dan won gold with 001 asc. So thats amazing!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    Silver at an MCA National? Very well-done, especially considering what the driver's door looked like only a few years ago
    Ah yes, back in the beginning- Thank Bryan!
    Name:  IMG_0439.JPG
Size:  99.3 KB
    MCA #110307
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTJIM View Post
    An update on this one. With the Mustang Club of America Grand National Show in Kansas City this year, I decided to pull some things together and enter the Concours Driven class. Here are a couple of pics of the car inside the Overland Park Convention Center being judged (it took an hour and a half!) Very happy to take home a Silver Award for the first time at a MCA show.
    Well done and the silver is well deserved. I'm glad I got to meet you and see this car in person. For those that have not been able to see it in person, the pics do not do it justice. The work is simply amazing and this car needs to be seen by all.

It took me 3 trips into the convention center to finally get the pics of it because the judges were there FOREVER!

Congrats again Jim!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

FEP Senior Member

Car looks great...what did they hit you on?

Quote Originally Posted by noac View Post
    Car looks great...what did they hit you on?
    I had never participated in a MCA judged event and boy it was a real eye opener! They said judges sheets won't be available for two weeks.

Here is just a sample of the rules for those unfamiliar with a MCA judged show:

4. ENGINE COMPARTMENT
    a. Battery Carrier and Hold-down: Must be proper for year and model............................2
    Quality of Workmanship, condition and cleanliness....................................... ..................1
    b. Battery: Must be correct group & size Motorcraft battery for year and model. 2 point
    deduction for incorrect group in Concours classes. Must be original in Unrestored &
    Thoroughbred classes or 6 point deduction. 6 point deduction for non-Motorcraft
    battery, no exceptions .................................................. .................................................. .6
    Quality of Workmanship, condition and cleanliness....................................... ..................2
    c. Battery Cables & Starter Cable: Must be original Motorcraft. Battery to solenoid
    cable must be red, all other cables black............................................. ............................4
    Quality of Workmanship, condition and cleanliness....................................... ..................3
    d. Starter, Solenoid (& Cover where Applicable): Must be correct Motorcraft for year
    & engine. Starter semi-gloss black with natural aluminum tail housing. ‘90-‘93 cover
    notched with airbag decal. ‘87-‘89 not notched with vacuum diagram decal. All other
    models with cover no decal required .................................................. .............................3
    Quality of Workmanship, condition and cleanliness....................................... ..................2
    e. Alternator: Proper Motorcraft for year & engine.
    ‘79-‘85 fan & pulley: zinc dichromate (gold).
    ‘86-‘93 fan & pulley are black.
    Natural aluminum case.
    ‘86-‘91 SSP cars have optional Lestek 130 amp.
    ‘92-‘93 SSP cars can have optional Motorcraft 130 amp............................................... ..3
    f. Voltage Regulator: Must be Motorcraft electronic.
    ‘79-‘81 Motorcraft ink-stamped on natural cover.
    ‘82-‘85 Motorcraft embossed on natural cover.
    ‘86-‘93 regulator internal on alternator.
    ‘86-‘91 SSP Lestek equipped, external regulator.
    ‘92-‘93 SSP with 130 amp Motorcraft alternator, internal voltage regulator.....................3
    MCA #110307
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Wow!!!!!

Congrats Jim! Very much deserved! Didn't get to see as much of the car as I wanted!
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Congrats on the award. Been there done that with MCA. It can be nerve racking and rewarding in the end if you are lucky enough. My wife has a 91 5.0 LX that we would enter in the ocasioal driven class. No matter what we did or how clean we had the car we have never did better than 2nd place. Still satisfing in the end though. If you keep going it takes several years to get enough points to get a grill medallion. It makes for a pretty big feather in the cap I think. Still not as big a feather as the end result of the job you did on this car.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTJIM View Post
    An update on this one. With the Mustang Club of America Grand National Show in Kansas City this year, I decided to pull some things together and enter the Concours Driven class. I don't really feel its a concours "restoration" because the car was mostly all original (except for repairs) but they said I had done too much paint work to enter unrestored. Here are a couple of pics of the car inside the Overland Park Convention Center being judged (it took an hour and a half!) Very happy to take home a Silver Award for the first time at a MCA show.

Name:  Image00005.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  98.5 KB
    Name:  Image00009.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  82.5 KB
    Name:  Image00010.jpg
Size:  65.7 KB
    Name:  Image00011.jpg
Size:  66.6 KB
    Name:  Image00012.jpg
Size:  49.0 KB
    Looks like my buddies Chuck and Nelson doing the judging there. Concours is a tough class.. Silver is quite an accomplishment.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Love seeing the staggered treads on the early run 1983 TRX tires! Talk about being Concours Correct
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Congrats! I saw the car at the show. I wish I would have gotten a chance to speak with you. The repair on this car is amazing.
    Last edited by foxylady; 08-31-2017 at 11:02 AM.
    Amy MCA #81079 3rd generation gold card judge, 1993 Ford Probe GT
    1979 Cobra
    1979 Ghia coupe
    1979 5.0 coupe
    1980 turbo coupe
    1990 7 up
    1993 Yellow /black feature convertible 14k miles
    1993Yellow/black feature convertible AC delete
    1995 Cobra hardtop convertible
    1998 GT convertible

Beautiful car! Would you happen to have a few pictures of the underside?

Thanks for all the nice comments and compliments everyone. I went by your convertible Amy hoping to meet you but I guess you were out judging.

The car is still super original underneath but the car was Ziebart undercoated by the selling dealer when new...and they were not very neat about it either. So sorry jlehma13, pictures of the underside aren't going to be much help.

And kind of along those lines I started thinking about things after the show and actually emailed the original owner to see if he was interested in seeing the car back in his garage. I don't know if I am up for removing all the undercoating in order to take this car to the next level. I also don't know if that is the right thing to do. I like the idea of the car being as it was when the original buyer picked it up on day 1. And I kind of like the sloppiness of the undercoating to a certain extent, keeps the car "honest".

He asked me to price it and I guess at that point I realized that I am not ready to pass it on. I think if I were to go for the gold with a Fox, I probably need to start from scratch and build a gold standard car.

And Jason- bonus points for picking up on some of the details!
    MCA #110307
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Hi Jim,

Congratulations on your Silver award at the GN MCA show. I love the story of how you saved it. Can you tell us, or maybe you have and I missed it, what was needed to repair your GT? Do you have any pictures of that process. Thanks!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Wow!!!! Great thread and nice save on a beautiful car!

Jim, is it possible for you to repost some of the in process pics again, they are no longer visible in your original posts.

Quote Originally Posted by chazman View Post
    Jim, is it possible for you to repost some of the in process pics again, they are no longer visible in your original posts.
    x2. Been a long time, but those pics would be terrific to see. When you can, of course.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345