Close

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Great play by play,just waitin for the final touch down.

FEP Senior Member

I really hope to score soon LOL

Its taking longer than expected but since they are working on details to leave it "show condition" I donīt want to rush it.

Canīt wait to have the engine back on the car though! The beast wants to breathe again...

86 50CPRI

Let us know how the rear bumper works out. I am eager to see, because my own is starting to be uneven.

FEP Senior Member

They are currently working on it, and Iīm nervous honestly. I told him to work on it mounted on the car and to not use any harsh chemicals to avoid warping the cover, but since it was a replacement I bought and not original of this car, I donīt know what to expect.

I couldnīt see the car because the shop guys were not there on friday, I hope to go someday this week.

On a different note, when my front end was looking terrible I lost patience and bought a front end (supposedly it was another 82 GT but they sent a 86 LX front end). Iīm not going to use it but I want to preserve it for a future project... Since we never had that front end here in Mexico, it would be interesting to restore a future car with this front end... LOL this can get addictive

86 50CPRI

Quote Originally Posted by blueandsilver View Post
    ... LOL this can get addictive
    You're preaching to the choir, brother!

I keep checking this thread, but still no update yet. Whaaah!
    1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0/4-spd
    1982 Capri RS 5.0 H.O.

FEP Senior Member

Sorry Iīve been lazy about the updates. Unfortunately I havenīt been able to check the car in 3 weeks. For certain Iīll go there this friday so by monday Iīll post the updates.

They have been working (a lot) on restoring the rear bumper cover which turned out to be a mess, and finishing the undercarriage.

Promise to update soon LOL... thanks for the interest

Well, alright, then.... This thread should be cross-linked to the Mexican Mustang thread!
    1982 Capri RS 5.0 H.O.

FEP Senior Member

Hi all, so finally hereīs an update after 3 weeks... progress has been slow but steady and Iīm at the point where the "patience my young padawan" saying applies LOL...

They finished working on the doors and they are primed. All the lines flow straight and the door panels match perfect with the front and rear fenders, meaning the mouldings should look straight when applied... The door is not fully closed in the pic...

Work on the rear bumper cover has been a total PITA. This was a replacement cover I found but it turned out to be in terrible shape also so they are working on it to see if it can be fixed... It doesnīt look like it has ondulations on the top section, but on the right side where the fender moulding should match with the bumperīs moulding, its been thinned out so much that it now looks even with the fender without the moulding. It also has some creaks that need to be filled or else they will show up after painting.

I guess Iīll have to search for another bumper cover if this one doesnīt do the cut. My brother had already warned me that these urethane bumper covers are pretty much the hardest part to find and restore on these cars (finding a good one that is).

Little Chihuahua says "hi" LOL

Wow, I agree based on the pictures. The passenger side of that bumper does not look acceptable. I have never heard of one like that before. You can still buy these new so I wonder why you are paying labor to restore 2 different ones so far. Are the ones you can buy now that bad?

I feel for you. You must have a lot of patience.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP Senior Member

On the good news side, the finished working on the front end and it now looks very good! compared to what it looked like Iīm very pleased with the results

This is an overall pic of how its standing right now...

The shop guys told me they will be working hard on the car. They expect to finish the bumper cover in a couple days so I can evaluate if I want it or if I have to search for another one... They will then paint the engine bay and finally the mechanic will install back everything and turn the "beast" on... then off to paint...

Iīm expecting a couple months more to have it "finished" if such word actually exists when restoring a car... Canīt wait to see it painted!
    Last edited by blueandsilver; 03-12-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Looks like it is coming along nicely!

I am sure you can't wait until it's painted!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Wow, I agree based on the pictures. The passenger side of that bumper does not look acceptable. I have never heard of one like that before. You can still buy these new so I wonder why you are paying labor to restore 2 different ones so far. Are the ones you can buy now that bad?

I feel for you. You must have a lot of patience.
    Where can you buy them new? I didnīt know they still made them... I donīt know if they would ship them to Mexico but Iīm certainly willing to try... I have a friend in San Diego that can help me send it down here.

I have never looked for one but I would be surprised if someone wasn't making them. They fit so many years.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

No longer visiting. Cheers.

The front end is looking good! What kind of filler are they using on the bumper cover? It looks like Bondo, but that would crack. Hard to beat $65 for a reconditioned cover--IF it's any good. Have to wonder how good a job they do on them. Maybe most expensive one is better quality?
    1982 Capri RS 5.0 H.O.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTTops View Post
    Thanks a lot for the links. Iīm definitely going to see how to bring one down to Mexico... I can ship it to San Diego and then figure out how to cross it to Tijuana and then Fedex it... If they werenīt so bulky it would be easy

Iīm not sure what product they are using...

FEP Senior Member

What really stroke me is the price difference between bumperwholesale and oembumpers... wonder what would be? maybe the one in bumper wholesale is a NOS? That would be great, if it is I would pay the asking price.

As I recall, all three sellers listed their bumper covers as remanufactured. Still, there could be big differences in quality. I'd call and talk to each one if you can't get a recommendation from anyone on this forum.
    1982 Capri RS 5.0 H.O.

Quote Originally Posted by tcruise View Post
    As I recall, all three sellers listed their bumper covers as remanufactured. Still, there could be big differences in quality. I'd call and talk to each one if you can't get a recommendation from anyone on this forum.
    And you would be correct. It's best to get a few pictures emailed with regards to these items.

Quote Originally Posted by blueandsilver View Post
    Thanks a lot for the links. Iīm definitely going to see how to bring one down to Mexico... I can ship it to San Diego and then figure out how to cross it to Tijuana and then Fedex it... If they werenīt so bulky it would be easy

Iīm not sure what product they are using...
    No problem. These are remanufactured. I've seen some great work on the reman'd side. I've also seen some not-so-good work. Always best to doublecheck their work with photos.

FEP Senior Member

Thanks all. I will email them and ask for actual pics and shipping quotes.

FEP Senior Member

Time for a quick update... I havenīt been able to check the car for a couple of weeks but I talked to the shop manager and he told me they are almost done with the undercarriage and they are finishing the details to paint the engine bay and spray the undercarriage.

Afterwards comes the "fun" part i.e. re-installing the engine and firing it up again! Hope to get that done next week since Iīll be on vacation and will have plenty of time to spend at the shop with the car.

In the meantime, hereīs my "new" stereo. I still havenīt found what car it belongs to... Iīm sure its not a Mustang stereo, I think its either a Grand Marquis or a Topaz stereo. But for the purposes of this car, it will suffice, since Iīm not interested in showing or competing with the car. I just want it to look stock. The stereo is "hecho en Mexico"..

Now on the fun part... here are a couple pics of a 85 SVO that a friend restored. I hope my car looks like this when done.

FEP Senior Member

WOW, that SVO is gorgeous! Will your new/old radio fit in the original hole, and have you already tested it to make sure it works?
    1982 Capri RS 5.0 H.O.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast