Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FEP Member

Default Does this look like the correct foam?

Supposed to be for a 1983 Mustang GT with sport seats. The original foam on the left has the metal bars needed to attach the upholstery with the hog rings in the "H" pattern. The replacement foam does not have these in the same location. Vendor says it is the correct foam for my seat. What do you all think?

I took off my original Ford seat cover, this wasn't a replacement cover used.

The vendor I bought them from now wants me to send the foam back along with my original seat cover because apparently I must not know what I'm doing......and they said the manufacturer will not give me a credit, I guess you know because it isn't the wrong foam, and because they don't give credit for half sets.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    '84 GT convertible, Oxford white, CFI to carb swap, AOD
    '83 GT, T-tops, Bright Red, 65K original miles, 2nd owner; '85 roller cam engine; 8.8 w/3.55s; ROH ZR-6's
    '88 LX 5.0 Notchback, 55K miles, 3.27's, Mach 1 suspension, 5 lug conversion; Saleen ARE 229 wheels; Flofit seats; Vortech S Trim, 42# injectors
    '89 Saleen clone, 3.55's, SN95 rear discs, SVO front discs, 9L white, ARE 229 5 spoke wheels, complete Flofit interior and Saleen gauges; Maximum Motorsports Panhard Bar;

they want you to send them your seat and their seat and they wont even give you your money back?? WTH? I want them to send ME a seat and I dont want to pay for it but it doesnt work that way, why should it work the other way?
    I dont understand.
    Hope you get it straightened out.

Can't you email the pic that you just showed to us so they could see what the difference is between what you have and what you received?
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Neither here nor there

Is it my imagination or are the outer wings not even the same shape?

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    Can't you email the pic that you just showed to us so they could see what the difference is between what you have and what you received?
    That is what I did and the response I got was "that is the correct foam." I figured I would post it here to get the member's opinion.

I have made several phone calls and it just isn't worth my time any more.

Jeff, the wings are close, but the new ones are larger.
    '83 GT, T-tops, Bright Red, 65K original miles, 2nd owner; '85 roller cam engine; 8.8 w/3.55s; ROH ZR-6's
    '88 LX 5.0 Notchback, 55K miles, 3.27's, Mach 1 suspension, 5 lug conversion; Saleen ARE 229 wheels; Flofit seats; Vortech S Trim, 42# injectors
    '89 Saleen clone, 3.55's, SN95 rear discs, SVO front discs, 9L white, ARE 229 5 spoke wheels, complete Flofit interior and Saleen gauges; Maximum Motorsports Panhard Bar;

bear in mind foam does shrink over time. the wings on the new foam are fuller by a little bit. The foam looks like the 85-86 foam. Now my seats that I just redid have the foam on the right. Whether it'll work for the 83-84 seats I don't know though. push down on your foam in or around the same spot where you see the horizontal line on the right foam, and feel for a rod to hog-ring to.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by eeprete View Post
    bear in mind foam does shrink over time. the wings on the new foam are fuller by a little bit. The foam looks like the 85-86 foam. Now my seats that I just redid have the foam on the right. Whether it'll work for the 83-84 seats I don't know though. push down on your foam in or around the same spot where you see the horizontal line on the right foam, and feel for a rod to hog-ring to.
    Even if there was a rod in both slots on the new one, look at the back one, it isn't in line with the old foam. So the picture shows.

It looks like my new foam in the 85 vert when I redid it...minus the knee bolster area. The side wings looked about the same when I took them off and compared. What I didn't notice is that the new unit looks longer than the original. I bet that extra rod tie area is generic given it is needed for later year models. If so, it would not get used and I would not like that. I got the same responses you did relative to my vert seat belt hangers and the upper foams not having the factory rods to attach. I think I already know the answer, but who did you order them through?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I know it can be bought from many vendors, but isn't TMI the only company that makes replacement seat foam for our cars?
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

That does look like TMI. If it was purchased from FoxResto I know that's what they carry.

FEP Member

Angry Fox Mustang Resto

was the vendor. TMI was where the foam came from. After at least 5 phone calls and a few emails the vendor's resolution was for me to send my seat bottom to them, with my original seat cover and the new foam because I "must not know what I am doing because it is the correct foam." Sure, like that is going to happen. I already put the seat back together with the foam.

They would not offer any credit because I broke up the set - but the top foam fits multiple years, isn't attached in any way and I still have the wrong bottom foam - but not according to them......

So for $120 for the foam, I guess I am out $60. I have wasted more than $60 in my time with the multiple emails and phone calls. I will also use different vendors next time.....

Here is a photo of my 1983 GT with the Sport seats - the black lines were drawn in by me to show where the wires were to attach the hog rings.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 5ohFFR; 12-13-2011 at 12:24 PM.

http://www.foxresto.com/products/vie...h_Knee_Bolster

That link says that seat foam is for 1984-89 GT Sport seats with knee bolster (code P). The '83 and early '84 Sport seats (Code H) ARE NOT the same.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by 5ohFFR View Post
    was the vendor. TMI was where the foam came from. After at least 5 phone calls and a few emails the vendor's resolution was for me to send my seat bottom to them, with my original seat cover and the new foam because I "must not know what I am doing because it is the correct foam." Sure, like that is going to happen. I already put the seat back together with the foam.

They would not offer any credit because I broke up the set - but the top foam fits multiple years, isn't attached in any way and I still have the wrong bottom foam - but not according to them......

So for $120 for the foam, I guess I am out $60. I have wasted more than $60 in my time with the multiple emails and phone calls. I will also use different vendors next time.....

Here is a photo of my 1983 GT with the Sport seats - the black lines were drawn in by me to show where the wires were to attach the hog rings.
    Yep, don't feel so bad...I am in the same boat and won't be going back either.
    HAD

HAVE
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Here is what we offered you.

Option 1: you could send me the new lower foam and your lower cover and I would test fit it to see if there was any issues with the foam. You said that you did not trust the shipping companies to safely deliver your upholstery. We would pay for shipping incase the seat foam was defective. If it was an installation issues then, and only then would you be responsibly for shipping. You did not want to do this.

Option 2: You could send us the seat foam only and I would test fit the foam. You were informed that we had an original Ford set of front seats out of a 1983 GT with the original upholstery. I would use that upholstery to verify if the foam was defective or not. We would pay for shipping incase the seat foam was defective. If it was an installation issues then, and only then would you be responsibly for shipping. You did not want to do this either.

Reasons for wanting to test fit the foam. If it is defective or TMI is making them incorrectly, we need to know this so it can be corrected for future customers. Also if it is defective or made incorrectly I can get it corrected and get you the correct lower seat foam so you can recieve what you paid for. Also I have seen seasoned upholstery shops install seat incorrectly. I can not verify that anyone knows exactly where to cut the loops and hog ring in the upholstery. I offered every thing I could think of to help you resolve this issue and I feel we are being more than fair.

I can not give refunds on half a part or even a part that wont be returned. I even offered to have it picked up on my bill to verify there was something wrong. But you had no interest in sending the part back even when shipping was paid for. I know of no other company that would offer to test fit a part for free.

The offer still stand if you would like me to verify the part is defective or not.

Matt
    Last edited by foxmustangrestoration; 12-13-2011 at 07:02 PM.

A agree with you Matt. Not too many people/companies out there anymore who would go through such trouble. To the OP...send the foam back and let him fit it. What else are you going to do with it?
    2017 Lincoln MKZ AWD
    2003 Town Car
    2017 GTI
    Currently Foxless

That's a pretty good offer on the part of FMR. One thing you can't say is that they weren't willing to work things out in an attempt to make the customer happy.
    Bryan

FEP Member

I have a problem with the whole process. Anyone can see the foam isn't correct by just looking at the picture I posted. The wires aren't in the same spot - they aren't even close! cover is the original factory Ford cover from the car with 60k on them, nor ripped and all worn out. I marked and labeled the location of the hog rings prior to disassembly, so I do know EXACTLY where they went. Why waste more of my time??

As for the shipping, this is the first time I heard of FMR paying for it. Maybe if I got an
    email that would have been made clear or even a return phone call. Having to make four calls over a month and a half didnt help any either .

^^^My thoughts exactly...there is an extra rod pocket that you will feel through the fabric and the one that belongs there does not line up with the original! I myself emailed and sent pictures directly to Matt (after several phone calls mind you) about the issue I had with my foam and never heard anything back. I decided to just fix it myself.

Matt, if you are truly concerned about getting TMI to produce correct products you are going about it the wrong way my friend. You have been a member here since 2004 and it is amusing to me that you typically only show up in instances such as this.

This is not about throwing stones or covering issues...it is about getting the job done correctly. You should take the time to see the issue here with this seat bottom; it is very clear in the pictures he provided...as it was with mine!
    HAD

HAVE

There's no doubt that the foam doesn't match what you have in your car, but to get it swapped or matched up with the right item looks like it's going to take effort from both of the involved parties. Just an observation...
    Bryan

A little confused on what happened with the other side of foam? If unusable I am sure you could sell the leftovers here. I will be looking in the spring but need both sides.

I

As for the shipping, this is the first time I heard of FMR paying for it. Maybe if I got an
    email that would have been made clear or even a return phone call. Having to make four calls over a month and a half didnt help any either .
    I was standing behind Kelly when she told you several times that we would pick it up. She even called you back to push the issue of just getting the foam back without your upholstery. The original answer when you first contacted us was to get the seat foam back to us.

My options to resolve this issue still stands.

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    Matt, if you are truly concerned about getting TMI to produce correct products you are going about it the wrong way my friend. You have been a member here since 2004 and it is amusing to me that you typically only show up in instances such as this.

This is not about throwing stones or covering issues...it is about getting the job done correctly. You should take the time to see the issue here with this seat bottom; it is very clear in the pictures he provided...as it was with mine!
    As for TMI I do not own nor manage anything at TMI. I am a customer of theirs. When an issue is reported to them they do the exact same thing. TMI would need the components back to determine what went wrong no matter whose fault it is.

I am running a business and I do usually work 7 days a week. So no matter how much I would love to have time to chat and get to know the members on here more personally I simply do not have the time, but I am on here often and am interested in what you guys have to say. So when ever there is an "issue" I try to step in and make the customer happy. Sometimes it takes work from both parties.

The bottom line is all I needed to resolve the problem was to get the seat foam back and see it in person. We strive to make every customer happy. Call me or email me at the shop if you wish to resolve the seat foam issue.
    Last edited by foxmustangrestoration; 12-13-2011 at 10:56 PM.

I do not see a listing on FMR's 'site for the 1983 Sport foam. I only see a listing for 1984-89 Sport foam. Is that what was purchased for these '83 seats? If so, why?

According to TMI's 1979-1993 Fox Mustang Guide....

1983 (only) Sport seat foam = part # 43-73701
    1984*-89 Sport seat foam = part # 43-73702

*1984 should be "late" 1984 or 1984½. The early 1984 Sport seat was carried over from 1983, minus netting in the halo.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    I do not see a listing on FMR's 'site for the 1983 Sport foam. I only see a listing for 1984-89 Sport foam. Is that what was purchased for these '83 seats? If so, why?

1983 (only) Sport seat foam = part # 43-737011984*-89 Sport seat foam = part # 43-73702

*1984 should be "late" 1984 or 1984½. The early 1984 Sport seat was carried over from 1983, minus netting in the halo.
    FC -

I see what you mean. TMI's item number for the 1983 foam says that it's for seats without the the knee bolsters. The foam that the OP got is clearly meant for the later models (1992-83) without the knee bolsters according to the pics and description on FMR.
    Last edited by Gemini1999; 12-13-2011 at 11:45 PM.
    Bryan

FEP Member

Default Placed order over the phone

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post

1983 (only) Sport seat foam = part # 43-73701
    1984*-89 Sport seat foam = part # 43-73702

I called and placed the order and specifically asked them if they could get this foam. I had the part number from another vendor where I could of just ordered it from but I wanted to support forum vendors. She assured me she could get it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast