Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Decode 1979 Mustang Ghia, Please

I'm meeting the seller tonight. I am NOT trying to rush you. I called the DMV and the title checked out. I'm only asking for the decoded info when you have a minute or two. I want to verify they have what they say they have.

After talking with the seller and his wife AND the pictures they've posted, I WANT THIS CAR!

VIN is:
    9R04Y159422

Information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

9 = 1979 Model Year
    R = Assembled in San Jose
    04 = 2 door Ghia
    Y = 2.3 liter 2V 4cyl 88hp
    159422 = Consecutive unit numer

Thank you. That matches all of the sellers claims and confirms what I wanted to know about the car.
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    Build Thread

If you can read the door tag the car should have a "C" under the S on the door tag if it was a factory sunroof car.

It does have the "C" under the "S" heading. I bought the car. I'm trying to figure out how to setup my gallery or whatever it's called.
    Build Thread

Looks like you got a gallery set up just fine. Now for pics of the door and buck tags. (outside, flash off, up close i.e. "flower" setting)

Hey FoxChassis, I included a door tag photo in the gallery. It was sunny outside and the wife wouldn't let me bring the car into the living room, flash was set to "Auto" and I did use the close up setting. If there's any info you can decode from the door tag (couldn't find a buck tag) and provide, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Your database is looking great. Since I have a 4-cyl, non-turbo, I'd like to see data related to that particular model.

I'll include the door tag here, to make it easy for you.
    Last edited by IDMooseMan; 12-09-2011 at 08:53 AM.
    Build Thread

VC Label
    Date - 04-79 = April 1979 build
    F0037 = 37 lbs front accessory reserve load
    R0079 = 79 lbs rear accessory reserve load
    Exterior Paint Colors - 5W = Medium Vaquero Glow
    DSO - 73 = Salt Lake city district sales office
    Body - 66H = Mustang Ghia 2-dr sedan (coupe)
    Mldg - 10E = Black bodyside molding with Medium Orange insert stripes
    Int trim - FZ = velour & vinyl seating, low-back front buckets (F), Vaquero interior color (Z)
    A/C - A = air conditioner
    R - [blank] = no radio ordered
    S - C = sunroof
    Ax - Y = 3.08:1, non-locking differential
    Tr - 7 = 4-sp manual transmission (Hummer)
    YY = D8BZ-5310-AT front springs
    MM = D9BZ-5560-P rear springs
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

WOW! That was fast. Thank you. I don't understand the radio "code" because I have a factory(?) AM/FM Stereo / 8-Track Player installed. I have the brochure, too.
    Last edited by IDMooseMan; 12-09-2011 at 09:20 AM.
    Build Thread

Radio (R) code on the door tag is blank, means it wasn't supposed to have a radio. Could have been an error on the tag (very unlikely, but possible). Could have been installed at the ordering/selling dealer before it was sold to the customer. Would need to see the build sheet or a Marti Report to figure it out for sure.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Craig "IDMooseMan", I too have a San Jose built Fox. I found my Buck Tag very well hidden up under the right hand side front, behind the high beam headlight, but only accessible from up under the RH fender. I managed to loosen the philips head screw a little but couldn't get it off, so I drilled a small pilot hole through the bowl of the high beam headlight to undo the screw and then let it drop. It saves having to take the whole front nose off the car to try and access it! Good luck with that chore, but the effort may be well worth it. Please post it if you can find it and get it off! Cheers
    aka Terry M Walsh
    Downunder in Melbourne, Australia

1981 Mercury Capri, 'White' Black Magic, 200-2V/C4
    1983 Ford Capri, 2.8i, 5-spd

Thanks, Terry. That'll give me something more to do this weekend. I can't wait to start cleaning and tweaking this little four-banger. She's kinda fun for a non-V8 car.
    Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Radio (R) code on the door tag is blank, means it wasn't supposed to have a radio.
    FocChassis, on the related topic here - when you explained about the code for non-radio option. If a Mustang model in these years (4-eyed) come without a radio... would it come with a blank plate cover going over where the dash radio slot holes are?

I've been wondering if Ford did offer that? Thanks!
    1986 Mustang LX hatchback V6 auto

Yes, there should have been a plate covering the hole.

Default Build Sheet Found

Build Thread

That build sheet is from a Pace Car!

What!? I don't have a Pace Car...do I? I have a 4-cyl, 4-spd Ghia. How could a Pace Car build sheet be in my car? I found the build sheet under the spare tire. I'd have to look again, but the spare tire is the temporary one and has something to the effect of "Temporary Use Only" molded into the sidewall.

All of the badges say, "Ghia" everywhere on the car, inside and outside. Did Ford make any Pace Cars with Ghia badging and a 4-cyl? I have no idea how to research this new information. How can I get a breakdown of the build sheet? What clues, on or in the car, will help me identify it as a potential Pace Car? Would a Marti Report help with this mystery? Maybe I should budget for a Marti Report anyway. I hadn't planned on doing anything "special" with this car, but if it's potentially a Pace Car (clone I imagine, not a "real" Pace Car), I may want to see what my options are before trying to do anything that would make the car "wrong" as a daily driver.
    Last edited by IDMooseMan; 09-29-2014 at 12:48 AM.
    Build Thread

That build sheet is not for your car. See the Serial Number (VIN) on Line A? 9R03W481222 That is a turbo Pace Car built at San Jose Assembly. It's not for your Ghia, it just ended up in your Ghia. That sort of thing is not unheard of.

Where else have you looked for your build sheet?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

That's a relief...and a bummer. I thought I'd stumbled into something unique. I noticed the build sheet VIN didn't match my car's VIN.

I haven't started seriously looking for the build sheet yet. This is my DD now. It's cold outside and with the back hardware installed several years ago, I don't tolerate cold weather as well as I used to before my back surgery.

I'm rebuilding my project fund, (emptied it to buy the car), at the moment. My first priority is purchasing two new tires (I could only afford two after buying the car, license, registration, and insurance, etc). Fixing the oil leak(s) and the general maintenance that appears to have been lacking in previous years is next on the list.

The car looks in good enough shape, body-wise, that I'll probably start by redoing the interior. The headliner, carpet, and dash pad are the biggest eye-sores. The seats are in good shape. I'm sure new padding is needed.

We haven't had any rain since I bought the car, so the weatherstripping leak-test (courtesy of Ma Nature) is coming up soon I imagine.
    Build Thread

I can decode the PC sheet you found, if you want, but it may not be as detailed as the others that I have done. The early sheets are somewhat different. And I haven't seen that many of the early sheets. Matter of fact, this is the first PC sheet I have ever seen.

For historical purposes, decoding the PC sheet would be nice to have for my records. If you don't mind attempting it, I'd greatly appreciate it if you would decode it for me.

Is there a location where this decoding info can be found that I could access, so I can do this kind of research myself?
    Last edited by IDMooseMan; 09-29-2014 at 12:50 AM.
    Build Thread

If there is a place on the Web for info on decoding build sheets, I don't know what/where it is. What I've been able to figure out to date has been by looking at bunches of build sheets, and comparing them to other documentation (door tags, buck tags, window stickers, owners cards, etc.), and to know options that each car had.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

I wish my buildsheet looked that nice! Thanks for posting the pictures!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

FoxChassis, your efforts are greatly appreciated.

79mustangcobra, my pleasure. Now, if I could just find the build sheet for my car...better yet, I want to find the Pace Car that goes with this build sheet.
    Last edited by IDMooseMan; 09-29-2014 at 12:51 AM.
    Build Thread

I do not know what became of San Jose PC 481222 because it was not in the database. It is in there now, thanks to you finding the build sheet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast