Close

Default 1983 ltd 3.2 yamaha sho swap?

Hello while at the local pull apart grabbing doors for my power window swap I came across a sho Taurus with the 3.2 Yamaha and five spd. Since people put them in ranger and such has anyone seen or done a who swap on a fox body

i dont see why anyone wouldnt. i will say though since that it was designed to be a transversly-mounted engine, you will need to figure out what transmission you will use and lots of other customization.

and personally, i dont think that the yamaha motor will fit with the LTD's overall personality
    1985 Ford LTD LX. 4 eyes, 4 doors-cobra powered
    2006 Ford F-150 Ashley/Smith special edition--the "daily driver"
    1986 ford mustang SVO--a man can always dream right?

I think the "SHO LTD" fits the personality at least as well as a "SHOgun" (SHO Fiesta).
    If they put them in Rangers, it seems someone found a way to fit them to a RWD chassis. Hopefully not by making a FWD Ranger...

Taurus replaced the LTD. Why not a Taurus engine in an LTD?

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    I think the "SHO LTD" fits the personality at least as well as a "SHOgun" (SHO Fiesta).
    If they put them in Rangers, it seems someone found a way to fit them to a RWD chassis. Hopefully not by making a FWD Ranger...
    Ranger 3.0 and SHO 3.0 and 3.2 are both Vulcan V6's, and thus share a bell pattern. That is how it was accomplished more easily in a Ranger.

There are a couple swaps "in progress", but I haven't seen one running in Fox. Have seen them in Merkurs, however.

There's a thread regarding an SHO swap into a Fox elsewhere on the board (in this same section, I think), if you take the time to search for it.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

So dumb question, will the Yamaha heads and intake fit a Ranger 3.0? That may simplify, well, everything else.

I guess I should clarify that they share the Vulcan V6 bell pattern, and nothing else, aside from displacement.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

some one put one in a mustang some time back thought there was a thread here maybe not . and also thought use aerostar tranny or something

I've looked at the SHO Yamaha engine swap.

The SHO OHC V6 engine has the same bellhousing pattern as the OHV 3.0L V6 engine found in the Ranger and Aerostar. That's probably why it's been done in the Rangers.

The SHO heads won't fit on the Ranger engine since the SHO engine has OHCs while the Ranger engine is an OHV engine.

In order to install the SHO engine into a RWD longitudinal orientation, the intake has to be turned 180 degrees. No big deal.

The Aerostar came with a manual option; the bellhousing is separate from the transmission (as opposed to the Ranger 5spd). This separate bellhousing allows a Mustang V8 T-5 to be bolted to the SHO engine.

The one downside to the SHO engine swap is weight. The 3.0/3.2 SHO V6 weighs about 465lbs. Compare that to the 302 5.0L range of 411-450lbs. Basically no weight savings in installing a 220HP V6 as opposed to a V8.

The only positive thing I see about installing a SHO engine into a Fox body would be the wow factor.

Just my opinion.

On the subject of engine weights...one must be careful to compare engines that are similarly set up. If one engine had flywheel, alternator, etc on it, and the other is bare, it's going to throw your weights a lot.
    I thought the SHO V6 was lighter and the 302 weights (with flywheel and manifolds) I see are usually 450-475lb.
    So while Rocklord's numbers might be 100% correct, I'm just curious where they came from.
    But aside from wow factor, why does anyone do a swap? Or choose any engine other than the couple choices usually on the magazine cover stories?

Quote Originally Posted by riverfox racing View Post
    Amazing the lengths some will go to in order to be different! Equally amazing and refreshing to see the lack of hate for the project. I say cool, that's what hotrodding is all about. Props to the builder for doing something that isn't same old-same old. Ford should have put that engine in a rear drive CAR.

Might be easier to find a 96-99 SHO 3.4 60 degree V8. Make sure the cams are pinned.

That would look sick rear/ mid mounted in your Fox like the SHOgun (or a Renault R5 turbo ).

It would solve the problem of mating a rear drive trans to it.

You would have to get creative w/ the rear suspension though!
    Cars:1982 Mercury Capri RS, 5.0 HO
    1973 Ford Maverick, 250 L6, C4
    1977 Ford Maverick, 250 L6, C4

ya but the six bangers ran better than the v8's how sad is that LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SHO-PNY View Post
    ya but the six bangers ran better than the v8's how sad is that LOL
    Maybe because the V6 was all Yamaha, the V8 was a mix of Ford and Yamaha. Too many chefs in the pot!

I've driven both, a friend had a 97, cousin had a 92.

Performance seemed pretty close, but the V8 sounded better!
    Cars:1982 Mercury Capri RS, 5.0 HO
    1973 Ford Maverick, 250 L6, C4
    1977 Ford Maverick, 250 L6, C4

Performance seemed pretty close, but the V8 sounded better!
    if that was the case there was something wrong with the v6.

the v6 is cool because of its rpm and power band. revs to 8,000 and pulls the whole way too

Might be easier to find a 96-99 SHO 3.4 60 degree V8. Make sure the cams are pinned.

That would look sick rear/ mid mounted in your Fox like the SHOgun (or a Renault R5 turbo ).
    then your stuck with an auto and many other problems that make mounting it to a rwd tranny seem easy

Quote Originally Posted by kubitzford View Post

then your stuck with an auto and many other problems that make mounting it to a rwd tranny seem easy
    Actually, IIRC, the bell pattern on the V8's was a Duratech pattern, so something *could* be done. About the same work as getting a V6 to RWD.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Actually, IIRC, the bell pattern on the V8's was a Duratech pattern, so something *could* be done. About the same work as getting a V6 to RWD.
    true but i was referring to the idea of rear mounting the v8

A mid-rear engine conversion would look pretty sweet through the glass of a bubble-back Capri.

A Saab engineer did it with a Saab 900 back in the mid-90s (pre-GM 900).

I'm glad to see fox body guys support on this idea and not flame me for it. I will do more research on it maybe check over at a Ranger forum to get a better idea of what may be involved. When I'm confident enough to go through the swap I will be sure to include write up and pics

I can tell you one thing, that is a very sweet engine. I had an SHO and I loved it. Sounded great, made nice power, high revving.

Drawbacks? It is a complex engine and the service is expensive and tedious. You find many of them sold off when it comes time to do the timing belt/valves/water pump job.

Mike