Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by futura302 View Post
    Yes, if we were to keep the car as an 86, then we would have to run the EFI. However, I am going to back-date the car to either an 84 or 85 so we can run the carbureted combination like we do in the Super Stocker. I have front fascias for both years, but just haven't decided which way I want to go yet. Along those lines, I am actually looking for an 83-84 turbo hood scoop if anyone has one or knows where one may be.
    Personally, I can`t think of any good reason to consider the 84 5.0 combination, the NHRA HP rating is the same, but the 85 has a larger hyd. roller cam. Now, if the 83-84 engines were rated at the factory 175 HP rating, I would think that the 418/444" hyd. flat tappet cam would be a better choice, but at 208HP, I gotta say the 85 makes the most sense. If you need any E5 head castings, let me know, I`ve got a few extra sets.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

Thanks Rory! I agree. Was kind of hoping NHRA would re-factor one or both of the combos in the off-season I know it's wishful thinking. I have one set of E5 castings, but dad and I may be interested in what you have. Please PM me when you get a chance with a breakdown of what you have and what you want for them.

Thanks for the input!

Default Caging the Fox

Heading to the shop for a NHRA Certified Chromoly Roll Cage...

1 1/2" Chromoly Sub-Frame Connectors going in...

SMR Products supplied the Torque Box Reinforcement Kit - extremely well-engineered piece:

Fitting the Main Hoop...

What is the structural difference of the 1 1/2" sub-frame connector bars installed inside the car opposed to the common braces installed under the car.

They both basically accomplish the same thing. Just personal preference.

That's crazy cool.
    I made a set of sub-frame connectors for the 86 coupe for underneath.
    I think I'll use a set of these made with rectangular tubes for the inside.
    Hope you don't mind...
    Thanks for sharing

Yeah we used these tubulars in the car and a set of Kenny Brown super-subs on my Fairmont and it is rock-solid.

Nice lookin notch.. And I see yur from Mi. Ill be watching yur progress. As I am also doin a 86 notch. Might have to meet up one day and check out each others cars when there done. Im shooting for early summer

Here are some updates to the cage...

Sorry for not posting anything for quite a while. Been a long, busy summer. Cage is done, getting fabrication finished over the winter and then off to the body shop.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Sorry for not posting anything for quite a while. Been a long, busy summer. Cage is done, getting fabrication finished over the winter and then off to the body shop.]
    LOL! Winter seems to be the only time I can play with my car. Landscape contracting and racing doesn't work well in my schedule. I hope to change that this year.

Is you cage steel or moly?
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

It's chromoly

That car is gonna be a beast. What kinda times are you looking for?

We are running NHRA/IHRA Stock Eliminator, which is very restrictive on what we can do to the engine. We are putting the car together initially to fit in IHRA Crate Motor Stock with the 2000 Ford Explorer Crate Motor with the GT40P heads and a Doug Nash 5 speed. The index for our class is 12.40 and we should be able to run 11.50-11.60s all day long once we get it dialed in. We may also put together an 85 GT combo to run in Super Stock. Not sure about that yet.

Awesome looking cars!! Especially the Fairmont! Looks like you guys do some awesome work!!

Thanks man! I've been having fun checking out your Fairmont build. Looks awesome!!

Does Evan Smith from MM&FF still run a 87 in SS? If you know by chance. I haven't picked that mag up in years!
    Keith formerly STLPONDS

Quote Originally Posted by STL79Coupe View Post
    Does Evan Smith from MM&FF still run a 87 in SS? If you know by chance. I haven't picked that mag up in years!
    Evan's car isnt a SuperStocker, its a mustang cobra that he ran in stock. He hasnt raced it in a couple of years. He moved to FL with his job.
    Stephen Johnson
    SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
    National Record Holder 9.49 @ 139mph
    1985 Mustang daily driver
    10.88mph 125mph N/A 337

Great build! This looks a lot like one that I was following on FB awhile back - do you call yourselves Team Awareness Motorpsorts?
    I've got a buddy that runs a Buick Regal Stocker in NHRA Div. 3 - I'm usually at Norwalk with him in May - I'll keep an eye out for you guys!
    Keep us posted on your progress!
    '85 coupe - It's ALIVE!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnu4w_5P284
    Originally a 4 cyl / auto car; now has an '87 Roller motor topped by a Weiand Action Plus and a Holley 600; backed by a rebuit T-5. Also has shorty headers, an off road X-pipe, and a MAC cat back exhaust.
    Still needs paint (Medium Canyon Red Metallic) and interior work (Sand Beige). Would like to upgrade the suspension and brakes as well...
    **SIGH** So much to do, so little time (and money!)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Quik85GT View Post
    Evan's car isnt a SuperStocker, its a mustang cobra that he ran in stock. He hasnt raced it in a couple of years. He moved to FL with his job.
    Actually it's Fobra, but I gotcha.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS

Quote Originally Posted by Truxton View Post
    Great build! This looks a lot like one that I was following on FB awhile back - do you call yourselves Team Awareness Motorpsorts?
    I've got a buddy that runs a Buick Regal Stocker in NHRA Div. 3 - I'm usually at Norwalk with him in May - I'll keep an eye out for you guys!
    Keep us posted on your progress!
    Yes we are Team Awareness. Thanks for following the build! Norwalk is one of our favorite venues. In fact, the wheels up pic of the Super Stocker in the front of the thread was taken there.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Quik85GT View Post
    I LOVED watching Evan's car put it on the rear bumper and row the G-Force 5 speed! Now he's playing with the new Cobra Jets, so not a bad gig I guess.

Hey everyone. I am looking for an 83-84 GT Hood Scoop for this build. If anyone has any or knows who to contact, please PM me. Thanks guys!!

Hey everyone. I am looking for an 83-84 GT Hood Scoop for this build. If anyone has any or knows who to contact, please PM me. Thanks guys!!
    If you haven't already put an ad in the WTB section so more people will see it, and get you one quicker. I have 3 82GT scoops.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS

Interesting build. Updates???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast