Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

That is the maximum recommended weight of the vehicle + all passengers + all cargo

A much easier swap is the 3.8 supercoupe engine. I read somewhere that the 3.8 and the 3.0 are almost the same and the superchargers are the same. You can even use a 4.2 v6 rotating assembly in the 3.8 block with the supercharger and with the 3.8 any 5.0 tranny will bolt up. Just a thought.

Essex-series V6s were factory installed, so of course they're an easy swap. But they won't
    rev anything like the SHO, and having owned a couple of these, my biggest knock against
    them is the bovine sounds they make. VERY unlike an SHO.

Best thing Ford ever did for Mustang was when they finally put that engine out of it's misery.

Now, the new TI-VCT 3.7 is a V6 swap I could get behind.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Theres someone on here that never finished it and ofcourse mg_man75 did it and finished it. He's on most sites. They chased him off here.

do yourself a favor, sell both engines you have and buy a 351 windsor. ALOT less headache. Have you considered the accesory placement yet? That will be odd with that sidewinder engine. With a mild cam, I would think it would be more power also. Thats just my thoughts. Good luck whatever route.

With a mild cam, I would think it would be more power also
    a stock mass air 302 has the same power, but that's not really the point of the swap.

well my problem is i have sho with 5spd from ranger and 300six with e4od from f150 and the car has 3.3L inline 6 with a new c5, is their any engine that will bolt up to the c5 without any modifications? side note it is a low mount starter bell.

Quote Originally Posted by kckeener View Post
    do yourself a favor, sell both engines you have and buy a 351 windsor. ALOT less headache. Have you considered the accesory placement yet? That will be odd with that sidewinder engine. With a mild cam, I would think it would be more power also. Thats just my thoughts. Good luck whatever route.
    im going for more power but still maintain fuel economy. im getting 25+ avg mpg and would like something very close to that. ive been hunting for a 2011 v6 mustang to just swap the entire drivetrain but nobody is wrecking them. im tempted to t-bone one then buy it from the insurance company!

Quote Originally Posted by 1982GRANADAWAGONGL View Post
    well my problem is i have sho with 5spd from ranger and 300six with e4od from f150 and the car has 3.3L inline 6 with a new c5, is their any engine that will bolt up to the c5 without any modifications? side note it is a low mount starter bell.
    The later 3.3 I6 with the low-mount starter has 2/3 of a SBF bell pattern.

See the link HERE for more info.

It's fairly easy to bolt a Windsor block to your C5, but whether it would last long is the main question.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    The later 3.3 I6 with the low-mount starter has 2/3 of a SBF bell pattern.

See the link HERE for more info.

It's fairly easy to bolt a Windsor block to your C5, but whether it would last long is the main question.
    i know the 2.3HSC is a four cyl version of the 3.3L six with a different head design will the same trans that bolt to that use same bell housing?

my buddy has a 92 ford SHO,... This car is a fast mother f...
    I'm only 17, so bear with me

Current:
    1979 Mustang Hatch - under construction
    1954 chevy bel-air - project
    My dad's 1998 Toyota Corolla - DD -.-

Gone:
    1989 Mustang hatch LX - totaled.

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    Now, the new TI-VCT 3.7 is a V6 swap I could get behind.

I can't believe this hasn't been done yet. I mean, what's not to love? 305hp and 30mpg (considering how much lighter a Fox is, that'll be 30+mph)...it has all the makings for a 12 second DD that gets Honda mpg. I have HONESTLY considered swapping my 347 for one, if i only had the means to make it happen. I really think the aftermarket is gonna get behind this engine in the future too. I bet it's not hard to get 300rwhp out of one and still get crazy good mpg.
    -EVIL SSP-
    '85 KY Highway Patrol SSP Coupe
    Walk around/exhaust clip

-David

i know the 2.3HSC is a four cyl version of the 3.3L six with a different head design will the same trans that bolt to that use same bell housing?
    Let's see... I just told you that your engine (pretty much) shares a bell pattern with one of the most supported engines in the aftermarket, and you're asking about an engine that has nil support and no transmissions that would even be close to working, even if they did bolt up??

Sorry, but that is just way out of left field.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    Let's see... I just told you that your engine (pretty much) shares a bell pattern with one of the most supported engines in the aftermarket, and you're asking about an engine that has nil support and no transmissions that would even be close to working, even if they did bolt up??

Sorry, but that is just way out of left field.
    coudnt you get a 5spd with 2.3L in mustang and thunderbirds in the late 80's?

people have used SHO V6's and if he wants to use it more power to him. This guy started it: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=54385 never came back and updated it. but MGMan75 completed it and I think has all the process on All Ford Mustangs. The Ranger 5speed is a Mazda if you didn't know.

coudnt you get a 5spd with 2.3L in mustang and thunderbirds in the late 80's?
    2.3HSC is not the same engine as the 2.3 Lima
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

A 302 or 351 will bolt up to the c5 and all you have to change is the bellhousing to make it a direct bolt in. Just find a small bellhousing from a c4. Mid 70s granadas and mavericks are 2 cars that would have that bellhousing. If you really want to do the sho conversion there is a bellhousing from a 2.8 v6 from a ranger that will bolt the 3.0 to your c5. I have no idea what part number it is but I know it exists.

Quote Originally Posted by vertlmt94 View Post
    A 302 or 351 will bolt up to the c5 and all you have to change is the bellhousing to make it a direct bolt in. Just find a small bellhousing from a c4. Mid 70s granadas and mavericks are 2 cars that would have that bellhousing. If you really want to do the sho conversion there is a bellhousing from a 2.8 v6 from a ranger that will bolt the 3.0 to your c5. I have no idea what part number it is but I know it exists.

The 2.8/2.9/4.0 Cologne V6 engines do not have the same bell pattern as the 3.0/3.2 Vulcans.

Check your info before you post.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Does the sho 3.0 have a different bellhousing pattern as the standard 3.0? The local junkyard sells the taurus 3.0 to ranger guys who have a bad 3.0 and all they do is change the oil pan and wiring harness.

SHO 3.0 is a Vulcan patterned 3.0. The pattern is the same FWD or RWD.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

so as I asked a few min ago. Does the standard 3.0 taurus have a different pattern than the sho?

I answered your question. The std 3.0 in the Taurus is a Vulcan pattern.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Sorry looked like all you mentioned was the sho. I wonder how the junkyard is gettin away with swappin these engines if the bell is different.

Quote Originally Posted by vertlmt94 View Post
    Sorry looked like all you mentioned was the sho. I wonder how the junkyard is gettin away with swappin these engines if the bell is different.
    Are you reading?

The Taurus/SHO/Ranger/etc 3.0 V6 ALL have the same bell pattern.

Your comment on the 2.8 bell to an 3.0 is completely false, as I answered back in post #43. Two totally different engine families.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Sorry either you didn't clarify or I just plain misunderstood but I thought the ranger 3.0 was the same as the 2.9 and 4.0. My apologies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast