Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ok, I just went out and looked at the sub. It has four terminals and two wires coming off the bottom. I took some pic's so you can see what I'm talking about.

-Kal
    "One man can make a difference." -Wilton Knight
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

Women are like cars, sometimes you find one you fall in love with, and sometimes you end up with a lemon.

That's still a single voice coil sub. It just gives you two ways to run your wiring.

A dual voice coil generally has connectors on each side of the sub, like this MB Quart:
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictu...cture_id=88696

Yep. Single coil. Not going to work very well in any car setup unless you find another one and place them in parallel.
    No longer visiting. Cheers.

Yep. Single coil. Not going to work very well in any car setup unless you find another one and place them in parallel.
    Kinda-sorta-not-really. The biggest problem is that since most car amps are power rated at 4Ohms, you'll need to account for that when looking at an amp. An hm load to most car amps will cut power in half (roughly - theoretically power doubles each time the resistance is halved...most amps aren't stable enough to truly hit that), so the 500W @ 4Ohm amp will only make about 250W @ hm.

It isn't ideal for sure, but if you absolutely had to have the speaker, it could work. I can't find the TS specs on the driver anywhere (and certainly no real measurements), so I have no idea if it's a good or bad driver to even start with.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewM View Post
    Kinda-sorta-not-really. The biggest problem is that since most car amps are power rated at 4Ohms, you'll need to account for that when looking at an amp. An hm load to most car amps will cut power in half (roughly - theoretically power doubles each time the resistance is halved...most amps aren't stable enough to truly hit that), so the 500W @ 4Ohm amp will only make about 250W @ hm.

It isn't ideal for sure, but if you absolutely had to have the speaker, it could work. I can't find the TS specs on the driver anywhere (and certainly no real measurements), so I have no idea if it's a good or bad driver to even start with.
    Do you guys have a suggestion on inexpensive subs to go with and the inexpensive amp to run just them or it? If I have to get new subs I'm not sure if I would go with one or two, I was just planning on the one. I figure something around 8" if running two, maybe a 10" or 12" if a single. I don't think I'll have the room running anything else. Keep in mind I don't want to blow the windows out of the car, lol.
    Last edited by Shadow 1; 11-30-2011 at 11:29 PM.
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

Women are like cars, sometimes you find one you fall in love with, and sometimes you end up with a lemon.

Quote Originally Posted by SVT Rob View Post
    A dual voice coil generally has connectors on each side of the sub, like this MB Quart:
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictu...cture_id=88696
    Ah, I know what your talking about now. Man, I feel like such an old man now. This stuff used to be simpler, lol.
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow 1 View Post
    Do you guys have a suggestion on inexpensive subs to go with and the inexpensive amp to run just them or it? If I have to get new subs I'm not sure if I would go with one or two, I was just planning on the one. I figure something around 8" if running two, maybe a 10" or 12" if a single. I don't think I'll have the room running anything else. Keep in mind I don't want to blow the windows out of the car, lol.
    A single 12" driver has about 20-25% more cone area than 2 8" drivers, so a single 12" driver (assuming both have the same amount of suspension travel - xmax) will play lower and louder than the dual 8" drivers. Dual 10" drivers are only a little bigger than a single 12".

If you have the space for the enclosure, the money spent on 2 8" or 10" drivers would be far better spent on a single 12" driver (by which point you'll likely get better specs, and then be better off than the dual 10" drivers again).

A single 12" driver has about 20-25% more cone area than 2 8" drivers, so a single 12" driver (assuming both have the same amount of suspension travel - xmax) will play lower and louder than the dual 8" drivers. Dual 10" drivers are only a little bigger than a single 12".

If you have the space for the enclosure, the money spent on 2 8" or 10" drivers would be far better spent on a single 12" driver (by which point you'll likely get better specs, and then be better off than the dual 10" drivers again).
    Ok, single 12" it is. Any suggestions Drew on a brand and type, and do you still recommend that kenwood amp?
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

I've been purchasing a lot of my electronics from these guys. Great deals and great products.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com

Like you, I've been out of the game for way too many years, so I don't know who is good or bad anymore, so other than some of the mid line (like a JL Audio) and the really high end stuff (Focal, Dynaudio, etc) I'm not the best guy to ask.

The bigger question is what is your budget?

I've been purchasing a lot of my electronics from these guys. Great deals and great products.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com
    thanks Rob, I'll check them out.

Like you, I've been out of the game for way too many years, so I don't know who is good or bad anymore, so other than some of the mid line (like a JL Audio) and the really high end stuff (Focal, Dynaudio, etc) I'm not the best guy to ask.

The bigger question is what is your budget?
    My budget is as cheap as I can get, lol. On a more serious note most of the sound system isn't going in until probably summer. I'm at the point where I need to run most of the wiring though which is why I'm trying to plan it out now. As far as budget I'm not sure, I pick things up when I run across great deals but an amp and sub is something I don't really want to pick up used if I can help it so I figure an amp around $100 or lower new would be fine, and maybe a sub for around $50. I honestly don't know what these things cost anymore its been to long.

While I'm thinking about it and how old my knowledge is, we used to put a switch in-line on the remote wire running to the amp so you could shut it off if you needed to (like if it was too loud at the time or you just weren't in the mood for bass), do they still do that kind of thing?
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

You can wire it up pretty much however you like. I know a lot of people wire in a switch to the sub amp. I prefer to get a bass control knob, so you can turn the volume down on the sub, but still get a bit of extra sound to the music. With no bass at all, I'd rather not even have the stereo on.

I'm currently in the process of re-wiring my stereo system, as the head unit turns off randomly. I'll try and get some pictures of how I have it all installed.

Rob

You can wire it up pretty much however you like. I know a lot of people wire in a switch to the sub amp. I prefer to get a bass control knob, so you can turn the volume down on the sub, but still get a bit of extra sound to the music. With no bass at all, I'd rather not even have the stereo on.

I'm currently in the process of re-wiring my stereo system, as the head unit turns off randomly. I'll try and get some pictures of how I have it all installed.

Rob
    Yea, I'd like to see it, thanks Rob.
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

I just checked out some of that website that Rob posted up and found this and it's 12" and within my future budget, not saying I'm going to buy it, just an example of something in my price range. It's got good reviews, though the spec's are like greek to me. Would this be an example of dual voice coils and each one is 4 ohms? It also has a RMS of 750w and peak of 1500w. Damn, it's gonna take a huge amp for that huh.
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12