Close

Default Steering wheel....

Anyone know if this would work on an 85-86 GT with cruise? Or is the hub different.

93 T-bird SC wheel(no airbags)
    1986 GT Vert 5.0 EFI ,AOD,3.27's,K&N CAI Kit,2 1/2 H-pipe,No Cats,Flowmaster 40 series.

Here is a pic of it apart. From what I can tell It looks like its the same hub design. The T-bird guys say this will fit.

If it does, finally a cruise wheel I like. PS plan on swapping the SC decal for this

or this

Last edited by wfriedman; 11-30-2011 at 09:12 PM.
    1986 GT Vert 5.0 EFI ,AOD,3.27's,K&N CAI Kit,2 1/2 H-pipe,No Cats,Flowmaster 40 series.

I don't know if it'll fit or not. I hate my cruise wheel and wish my car had the non-cruise wheel that was available for 85-86. If I had one, I'd just forget about cruise.

Wonder why Ford made a wheel without cruise that looked better than the wheel with cruise?

So I don't blame you for hunting another wheel. And for me, it's gotta be a factory wheel also.

complete tangent here but how does the diameter compare to a regular mustang wheel? Being a t-bird part I wonder if it's larger?? ( side to side / across the horn pad that is --- not the diameter of the hand grip part )

The shaft looks like it would fit, but no idea if the alignment would be the same or not. The wiring will be fun though.

Will fit fine. Check the power rings on the back of the wheel and compare to your current steering wheel to see if they are the same and line up. You did not show that aspect of the T Bird steering wheel.

Ford did not re-engineer the cruise power rings for ever different model of car. There could be a difference between a tilt and non-tilt column and at the break between Aero cars and earlier non Aero cars.

I find it hard to believe that the steering wheel pictured above is from a 93 model SC as every picture I have seen of a 93 SC has an Air Bag steering wheel. This wheel is probably from a 1989 SC without air bag and it does look good. I found a bunch of these steering wheels on the web for sale from $10-$40 so if it's cheap I would sure give it a try as it looks a lot better than the stock Mustang cruise wheel.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

FEP Power Member

What is the running horse button from?
    85 GT vert

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    Ford did not re-engineer the cruise power rings for ever different model of car. There could be a difference between a tilt and non-tilt column and at the break between Aero cars and earlier non Aero cars.
    Obviously they didn't make different rings for each car, but there were lots of changes between the Fox and MN12/FN10 platforms, maybe enough that they changed rings. So basically who knows.

I find it hard to believe that the steering wheel pictured above is from a 93 model SC as every picture I have seen of a 93 SC has an Air Bag steering wheel.
    1994 was the interior 'redesign' that came with airbags. Unless they did a mid year update?

Here is the backside.

The diameter is 15 inches across, and 15 top to bottom. My stock 86 Cruise wheel measues 14.5 across and 14.5 top to bottom. So it's a little bigger.

The running horse and GT emblems are replacement horn decals sold on ebay. I don't have a supercharger so no sense in SC in the middle of the dang wheel.

Looks like the ford part number is E8EC13A808-AA. (ford horn contact switch)It's an 1988 part number so this must be for one of the first 1989 models that hit the showrooms in 1988. Guessing here.

Hopefully I can get a puller and pop it on this weekend. Looks like a bolt on and go. Horn and cruise should get power from the horn contact switch so no messy wiring.

Default Eureka!!!

The dang thing fit. Direct bolt on swap. Took a total of 10 minutes if that. Everything works..cruise, horn, and tilt.

Goodbye ugly stock cruise wheel.

For 35 bucks...I think it's an improvement. Now to find a mustang or GT emblem to replace the SC emblem!
    Last edited by wfriedman; 12-03-2011 at 11:43 AM.

How about post a picture from outside the car showing the wheel. I hate my stock cruise wheel also but I'm rather fond of the factory non-cruise wheel but open to something else also, long as it's a factory Ford wheel. I'd like to see what you've done with a little distance on it for an overall view please.

How's this?

I know I need to redo the seats...They look aweful in the Pics.

I think once you changed that emblem it'll probably a very good alternative to the non-cruise wheel for sure. If you think your seats look bad you should see mine.

My first choice would be the non-cruise wheel for these cars but they are hard to find without someone wanting your first born for them. I can't for the love of God and all things wonderful, figure out why Ford put such an ugly wheel in a car with cruise control and put the good looking wheel in a car without that option.

But that looks good dude, good eye!

Looks much better I want one in my 84 now
    -Sam
    1982 Mustang GL two hatchbacks, 3.3l and 5.0l
    1983 Capri RS Black Magic Ttop
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert
    1985 Mustang LX SSP CHP 8337
    1985 Mustang LX SSP CHP 8362
    1985 Mustang LX 3.8l 'Vert

I just put one of these in my 85. I found it on Ebay for $65 or best offer. I offered $45 shipped and it got here last week. The cruise and horn work perfect...a true 15 minute swap. One thing, on your swap, did you notice the SC wheel is turned about 1/4 or 1/8th turn to the left? My car needs an alignment anyway, so this is an easy fix. Actually it is probably not even that far off. The stock steering wheel, going straight, the 2 spokes instead of 9 and 3 o'clock were like 8 and 2. The SC wheel is 7 and 1. But I love the feel of it!

The only real complaint or downside is the wheel is 'dished' so it sticks out towards the driver...that part I like because I would like the seat farther back but felt like I was reaching for the wheel. BUT, I can't reach the turn signal without taking my hand off the wheel. With the old wheel I could just flick it with a finger.

Does anyone know if the turn signal lever unscrews or how it comes out. I will try to make it offset a little.
    But I'll take the steering wheel over a turn signal anyday.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Looks great! I'm in the same boat..would like a better looking wheel, but don't want to give up cruise. What do you think about the position being different that was mentioned (have to reach for the turn signal, further back, etc.)?
    Mike
    1986 GT Convertible. Owned since 87. 189,000+ miles
    Medium canyon red metallic with custom charcoal grey/black two-tone leather interior
    Original stock 5.0 H.O. and T-5 manual
    Eibach pro-kit convertible springs

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Schofield View Post
    I just put one of these in my 85. I found it on Ebay for $65 or best offer. I offered $45 shipped and it got here last week. The cruise and horn work perfect...a true 15 minute swap. One thing, on your swap, did you notice the SC wheel is turned about 1/4 or 1/8th turn to the left? My car needs an alignment anyway, so this is an easy fix. Actually it is probably not even that far off. The stock steering wheel, going straight, the 2 spokes instead of 9 and 3 o'clock were like 8 and 2. The SC wheel is 7 and 1. But I love the feel of it!

The only real complaint or downside is the wheel is 'dished' so it sticks out towards the driver...that part I like because I would like the seat farther back but felt like I was reaching for the wheel. BUT, I can't reach the turn signal without taking my hand off the wheel. With the old wheel I could just flick it with a finger.

Does anyone know if the turn signal lever unscrews or how it comes out. I will try to make it offset a little.
    But I'll take the steering wheel over a turn signal anyday.

It does stick out further, and yes you have to realign it. Heve not really paid attention to the turn lever. I don't drive it enough.

Here is a pic after I got a new horn decal. The SC had to go.

that is one of the best looking wheel mods evar! I hate how far my GT grant wheel sticks out and I have to reach for the turn signals currently as well. I have a SVO wheel I was looking at having recovered and running that, but that wheel looks sexy too. Does it rub anywhere when you turn or anything odd with the tilt?
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanPon
    many thanks to all you eco-hippies giving me dirty looks and helping me feel llike an overall badass rebel.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79
    I think one of the finer traits of a true car guy, is the patience to put a prized car away and just let it sit for a while rather than selling it when life gets in the way.

I drove it some more today and the turn signal lever isn't too bad. Just takes getting used to. I can catch it with my middle finger. May still see about off setting it some. But it is a good looking hefty wheel and I REALLY like it. Probably much more when I get my car aligned!

Where did you get the horn button emblems? Care to sell an extra one?

Thanks!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Schofield View Post
    I drove it some more today and the turn signal lever isn't too bad. Just takes getting used to. I can catch it with my middle finger. May still see about off setting it some. But it is a good looking hefty wheel and I REALLY like it. Probably much more when I get my car aligned!

Where did you get the horn button emblems? Care to sell an extra one?

Thanks!
    I got them from making it digital.

http://www.makingitdigital.net

I actually sold the other 3 on coral.net They were 25 bucks for 4 shipped.

That looks really good. I just may make the swap, since my wheel has seen better days.

Rob.
    1985 GT 4V H.O. Work in progress, off and on, since December '87. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/606903/1

Awesome idea.Gonna try to find one.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by wfriedman View Post
    93 T-bird SC wheel(no airbags)
    Wow, first I must say this was an awesome fix to your problem, as the new wheels looks great and is fully functional. Also, great thread to educate everyone on, so a big thank you to you.

Second, this statement really got me thinking because I thought airbags became mandated in 90 across all vehicles, since I knew it was the first year for the Stang. Turns out I was wrong and it all depended on different factors for each manufacturer and each model.

I learnted 2 things in this thread, and my head doesn't even hurt!
    Rob

1984 GT Convertible: Born November 1983 so it has slapper bars and no fog lights. Has DSO 89 (Transportation Services) and later sold to a Ford VP of Finance in Palo Alto, CA. Medium Canyon Red Exterior, Charcoal Interior, 5.0, 5-speed, power windows and doors, and 85k miles.

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...ics/?start=all

I have to say that at first I didn't like the look but it's grown on me the more I keep coming back to this thread. I think maybe I'll hit the pick-n-pull and round up some of these wheels if I can find any. It does look a lot better with that emblem change in the center, nice!!

I'm still a fan of the non-cruise wheel though but they're up there with hens teeth far as finding them goes.

Quote Originally Posted by wfriedman View Post
    I got them from making it digital.

http://www.makingitdigital.net

I actually sold the other 3 on coral.net They were 25 bucks for 4 shipped.
    Thanks! Is it just glued onto the surface or does it have tabs thru the back?(The SC Emblem)