Close

Default What is this thing?

I found this while comfortably digging around under the driver side dash on the '83.

It had OE appearing wiring, but was not mounted to anything (anymore).

Just curious, does anyone know what it is?

408W/AFR205/Vic Jr/Prosystems 4150HP XC/solid roller 242/248, .381/.385 with 1.6/ T5(hang in there little buddy)

Possibly for the stock stereo amp?

^^ I've got one of those in my 84 GT i'm assuming it was a power switch for the stereo amp. i think it would be cool to run spray to it

but seriously..... thats all i got lol
    Jake B.
    1989 Mazda FC3S *Under Construction*
    Mods: 13b Large Street Intake port with Race Exhaust Ports, ECU, Headers, Full Exhaust, 6 port inserts, RAI

1984 Mustang GT 5.0 *Daily Driver*
    Mods:...... rust??

A buddy of mine had one mounted to the dash of an 83 glx vert he got from the original owner who did nothing to the car but change brakes and tires. It was a mint all original car so i know it wasnt aftermarket. Since it was a loaded car i suspect again it was for the premium sound amp. Possibly so if you had the charging system under a heavy load like when dropping or raising the top and running lights you could cut out the amp to save some draw... All i can think of.
    2013 Focus ST3 2.0 turbo 6 speed

85 LTD, 90k miles, 3.8/c5,For sale... Or restomod if it doesn't sell

87 Conquest TSI widebody 2.6 Turbo/5speed, also maybe for sale

94 Tempo 3.0v6/5speed 92 GLS clone project

90 gmc sierra 2wd short box. 73k showroom condition, fender flares, 31" BFG All terrain. 350ci 4.10 gear

^^^ Cool idea, ability to save power
    Jake B.
    1989 Mazda FC3S *Under Construction*
    Mods: 13b Large Street Intake port with Race Exhaust Ports, ECU, Headers, Full Exhaust, 6 port inserts, RAI

1984 Mustang GT 5.0 *Daily Driver*
    Mods:...... rust??

FEP User

It is the on/off switch for the amp that came with the premium sound system. It is supposed to be mounted on the bottom of the dash (down to the rigth of the steering wheel).

I have one in my CC, and it still works. I notice my rear speakers more when I turn it on.

Hope that helps.

Amp Pull switch. I think it added 15 watts or so...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The car did indeed have the "premium sound system" as indicated on the instrument panel in dramatic fashion. It all makes sense now!

I learn something new everyday about this car! Although mostly because Im crawling around under/in it trying to fix something...
    408W/AFR205/Vic Jr/Prosystems 4150HP XC/solid roller 242/248, .381/.385 with 1.6/ T5(hang in there little buddy)