Close

Default 1997 Sonoma no start

I have a 1997 GMC Sonoma with a 4.3l x code that i bought with a rod knock, it ran, found a donor engine from a 2003 S10, same engine code. Swapped all sensors, wiring, manifolds, and distributor from the 97 to the 03 engine, including the updated injection from the 03. Now i have an intermittent no spark, the engine sometimes catches and stumbles, only for a few seconds. Checked and rechecked for proper TDC, balancer timing marks and distributor phasing, still no fire. Changed coils, distributors, crank sensor.

The only thing is different is the knock sensor, the 97 has a pipe thread style sensor with a single wire, while the 03 block has a knock sensor that is completely different in the way that it accepts a coarse thread bolt with a 2 wire connector. The single wire sensor is connected, but is just hanging by a zip tie against the firewall for now. Its getting fuel, even pulled the plugs and cranked it over for a while to clear whatever fuel is flooding in the cylinders.

When there is spark, it doesnt crank over easy, but when it is gone, it cranks over normally at a steady rpm. Have been fighting this thing for the past day and a half, just want to hear it run, i still need to recheck the ground wires at the back of the heads to make sure i have good, clean ground.
    Current rides:
    88 Notch 12.52@108 - Coming soon - to be beaten on again on a regular basis

2000 Explorer 4x4- New Daily driver and kid hauler

If you swapped over the engine harness and ECU, you shouldn't have a problem. Yes, it will require the ECU as well as the engine harness to make it run.

Neither here nor there

If you don't get your answer here, check out: http://www.s10forum.com/forum/

Found the problem, it is the coil pigtail that had a broken wire, if moved to the right spot, it fires up.
    Current rides:
    88 Notch 12.52@108 - Coming soon - to be beaten on again on a regular basis

2000 Explorer 4x4- New Daily driver and kid hauler