Close

Default Harbor Freight Multifunction Tool

In the Harbor Freight November 2011 sale book is a Chicago Electric brand Oscillating Multifunciton Power Tool on sale for $19.99 down from $59.99.

I've been hearing good things about these little tools, but am NOT familiar with Chicago Electric brand. Does anyone have any knowledge about the brand and/or this tool?

When I looked it up online, it gave me a sale price of $29.99 ---- but I figured the store wouldn't argue with their own sale book.

Link.

I also kinda figured that I couldn't really go wrong for $19.99.

Thoughts?
    13 Dodge Dart
    09 Shadow Sabre
    08 Caliber
    05 Aztek
    02 Avalanche
    02 Thunderbird
    01 Cadillac ETC
    98 Explorer
    96 Suzuki X-90
    89 Fleetwood
    89 Continental
    88 Town Car
    86 Silverado
    84 Fiero
    83 Town Car
    82 LN7
    82 EXP
    80 Mustang
    65 Continental
    62 Galaxie 500
    54 Packard

Stock never goes out of style.

I have that too. It's a pretty handy tool. I use it quite a bit doing many different remodeling projects for work.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

I had a Chicago Electric soldering gun. The first time I used it the outer case melted and the wires in it fried. It was quite a hunk of junk. That is the only experience I have with them. I can't comment on their power tools.

Quote Originally Posted by 86capriASC View Post
    I have that too. It's a pretty handy tool. I use it quite a bit doing many different remodeling projects for work.
    Chicago Electric brand?

Blog Entries

Don't have any first hand knowledge of the multi tool, but my Chicago Electric 4" angle grinder is going on 8 years old and still going strong.
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

I have a few of their power tools, and although not the best quality, they seem to do the job, and the prices are good. If I were a professional, I would spend da bucks for the good tools, but for my personal use they are fine.

Sean
    United We 'Stang

'79 Capri RS Turbo (Original and Running)
    '79 Capri Roller (Project - needs parts)
    '83 GT 5.0 T-Top (Project - Running) (Currently the restoration victim)
    '85 GT 5.0 Vert (Project)
    '84 SVO (Project - Not Running)
    '86 SVO (Project - Running)

Former Mustangs

'71 Mach1 429 (Sold - Still Missed) ..... '73 Grande 351c (Sold)
    '75 Mustang II Mach1 (Sold) .............. '83 GLX Vert (Wrecked)
    '83 GLX Vert (Rusted away) ............... '83 GT T-Top (Parted and Scrapped)
    '85 GT T-Top (Sold) ........................... '86 Hatchback (Sold)
    '84 Thunderbird FILA Edition (Sold)

I have two of them. Both the cheapie version you mention and the "Professional" multi-speed one. I love them and use them all the time.

Here's my thread on them:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=111948

The one thing I don't love are the blades. They're not great - especially the ones that come with the tool. Bosch blades fit this thing and work great.

Edit: You don't need the adapter referenced in the link to run Bosch blades. They fit and work fine without the adapter. The Craftsman blades do NOT fit.
    Last edited by Durango; 11-09-2011 at 11:56 AM.
    1981 Durango (ends my 18 year drought of not owning a F/Z)

Chicago Electric as a brand isn't too bad for the average homeowner, just don't expect it to last a lifetime and don't expect precise precision on tools like their compound slide saws for example cause it just doesn't have it. I've had several Chicago Electric tools over the years and it's a hit or miss on what holds up. My small 4" angle grinder is still kicking good after over 5 years of service but I've had heat guns and other power tools crap out or is just plain crap to begin with. I think you'll be fine with that tool Danny, hard to beat the $20 price tag and others here have it and love it. I might have to get me one of those sometime. As long as multi-tools like that have been out I have yet to own one.
    Last edited by Shadow 1; 11-09-2011 at 02:45 PM.
    -Kal
    "One man can make a difference." -Wilton Knight
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

Women are like cars, sometimes you find one you fall in love with, and sometimes you end up with a lemon.

One thing nice about this brand of power tools is that they send replacement brushes for most of the electric stuff. Helps with the life span of the tools I suppose, even though I have yet to use any of the extras.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

Overall I've actually been pretty impressed with Chicago Electric tools from Harbor Freight, but given all the 'bad' you hear about them I was expecting the worst.

Right now I own the electric impact wrench ($50), which works as well as my cheapie air impact and is far easier to grab and use than firing up the compressor for quick jobs (but nowhere as good as a higher end impact behind a big compressor). I have an electric impact hammer/drill from re-doing a tile bathroom a couple of years ago, cost about 1/3 the same as the cheapest one from Home Depot (even cost less than the rental fee), so I figured it was worth the chance, it's still going strong. And a 'big' 1/2" Drill, which works as it should. Oh and I have a heat gun as well, $20 spent and it's still going on strong 4 years later (it spent about a week peeling up a vinyl floor and only occasional use since then).

For the odd-jobs so far they've worked great, if I were depending on them to make a living I wouldn't take a chance. The most important piece though is that in most (but not all) cases the inexpensive tools from a bigger name brand store (Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, etc) are usually just as cheap as the stuff at Harbor Freight but still carry a higher price tag. The $70 multi-tool I have from Sears isn't really that much better than the one from HF.

China Junk,buy made in the USA .
    Mike

1989 Mustang GT - Purchased 8/91
    1985 Mustang GT - T-Tops 50,000k
    2005 F150 FX4 - Super Cab 5.4
    2008 Mazda 3 i - Daily Driver
    2011 Lincoln MKX