Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Back in May I had the car on a dyno so I could get a baseline. Performance wise the car was unchanged from when I purchased it. It has a BBK 65MM TB, BBK shorty headers, aftermarket exhaust with no cats, and air pump is bypassed.

Made 4 pulls with the car and the variance between the pulls was less than 1 hp.

From the factory the 1986 GT was rated at 200hp/300ft/lb so I'm happy with the results given the upgrades and close to 100,000 miles on the clock.

I have a short video I shot with my phone that I uploaded to youtube. I thought there was a way to embed the vid but can't figure it out .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8d1y...ature=youtu.be

Now it's time for a few small upgrades to see if I can squeeze a little more power out of the car.
    Last edited by 1158; 08-28-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: clean up post

About 2 months ago I noticed a little bit of surface rust developing on the roof, passenger side above the windshield. I ended up sanding it, spraying it with some rust converting primer, and then spraying it with touch up/clear paint. It's not a factory job but matches close and from 10 feet you can't see a difference. This is just temporary until I get the car painted in the not to distant future. I just wanted to stop the surface rust early.

Here's a quick pic of it in the sun:

I also installed the MM K member brace, but didn't grab a picture of it.

Unfortunately the week after I finished that up I was driving the car and had a huge rock crack the windshield. If you look close at the picture above you can see the impact area. I didn't even get to grab a picture of the touch up job before the rock got the windshield.

I have had rocks hit and crack windshields before but I have never had anything like this happen. The sound was deafening and both front seats and the console were covered with small pieces of glass. Good thing I was wearing sunglasses. When I got home I had small pieces of glass on the brim of my hat!

Outside:

Inside:

At least I got a brand new windshield out of it and I found out the sheet metal under the windshield trim and the trim pieces themselves are in excellent shape!
    Last edited by 1158; 08-28-2012 at 06:31 PM.

I have also been busy collecting a bunch of items:

3 core AL radiator:

160 AMP 3G alternator:

Ford Racing Hose Set:

I also picked up a DCC electric fan controller and an early 90s Taurus 3.8L electric fan.

New radiator, hoses, alternator, electric fan, fan controller, and R134a kit are in!

Engine shots:

Alternator:

Electric fan:

Fan is from a 3.8L Taurus. I trimmed the shroud of the electric fan and mounted it inside the stock shroud. I used a little bit of foam designed for window mounted AC units along the top of the fan where there was a slight gap. Otherwise the fan fits the shroud like it was made for it.

Fan Controller:

R134a Conversion kit:

System has been charged and works quite well. Air blowing out of the vent is a bit under 40F. Have to say I'm happy with the results.

Forgot to add, that I fixed and redyed the map light was able to get the cruise/speed control working.

The only other thing I would like to do in the near future is wire in some relays for the headlights and replace the O2 sensors. A repaint and a new engine are in store a little farther down the road.

Wow...great work!!! It looks awesome...very cool GT!!! I love all your choices/mods/upgrades.
    Mike
    1986 GT Convertible. Owned since 87. 189,000+ miles
    Medium canyon red metallic with custom charcoal grey/black two-tone leather interior
    Original stock 5.0 H.O. and T-5 manual
    Eibach pro-kit convertible springs

Quote Originally Posted by 86GTConv View Post
    Wow...great work!!! It looks awesome...very cool GT!!! I love all your choices/mods/upgrades.
    Thanks man! I can't take credit for everything. The previous owner did the 5lug swap, the wheels, and the TB, headers, and exhaust. I just took the ball and ran with it lol.

BTW, just checked out your album. Absolutely love your car and it looks to be in amazing shape! Med Canyon red is such a great color.

86 50CPRI

Awesome work, beautiful results! Any pics on mounting the fan to the radiator?

86GT..love the color, I've mentioned it before, but is that the factory shade? It looks brighter than some of the other cars...(sorry, dont mean to hijack..)

Quote Originally Posted by 86 50CPRI View Post
    Awesome work, beautiful results! Any pics on mounting the fan to the radiator?

86GT..love the color, I've mentioned it before, but is that the factory shade? It looks brighter than some of the other cars...(sorry, dont mean to hijack..)
    As far as I know it is the original paint. Car has been in a garage most of its life. Maybe that has something to do with it? It could also just be the pics.

As far as the fan goes, like an idiot I didn't take any pics lol. The shroud is the stock shroud and I just bolted the fan to the shroud in 5 places. The fan itself doesn't touch the radiator. Next time I'm working on it I can pull the shroud off and grab some pics if you want an idea of how I did it. Lower edge of shroud rests in clips I pulled off original radiator. Upper part is held on by bolts that run that through mounting holes in radiator (also using stock hardware).

I just remembered I also installed a MM clutch quadrant/manual clutch adjuster about a month ago. While it didn't totally remove the forward to reverse grind it did mitigate it considerably. However I still do the full stop fifth to reverse trick lol.

WOO HOO!!!! 1000th post. Aren't balloons and confetti supposed to come out of my computer? Have to talk to site admins about that.
    Last edited by 1158; 08-31-2012 at 04:26 AM. Reason: 1000th post!

I'm in love with your car. I would leave my wife and marry it. LOL

85/86 light regatta blue GT has to be my favorite mustang of all time.

Keep up the good work.
    Current Ride:
    2007 silver Ridgeline RTL

Past Rides:
    1985 black 2.3 auto Capri
    1989 black GT
    2000 laser red 3.8 5-speed Mustang

Future Ride:
    85/86 GT or Fox Notch or Any Cobra

FEP Member

Looks awesome man!

I love that color of blue but very rarely ever see it.
    500+rwhp svo
    My project

Couple pics from the All Ford Show 10/13/12.

First pics with headlight covers installed. So far I have been up to 75 on the highway and didn't lose 'em, so seems like I put them on right.

Quote Originally Posted by 04gixxer6 View Post
    I'm in love with your car. I would leave my wife and marry it. LOL

85/86 light regatta blue GT has to be my favorite mustang of all time.

Keep up the good work.
    Thanks for the compliments!

I fell in love with the color when I saw it, had to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Daggysvo View Post
    Looks awesome man!

I love that color of blue but very rarely ever see it.
    Thanks! Love your SVO. Big fan of any turbo 4!
    Last edited by 1158; 10-14-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Looks VERY, VERY COOL !

I really like that color on the 86' GT's just stands out so well

Beautiful Ride !!

The headlight covers look great on your LRB GT bro!!! You know I dig 'em!!
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Quote Originally Posted by escogt View Post
    The headlight covers look great on your LRB GT bro!!! You know I dig 'em!!
    Thanks Mike! I'm really happy I decided to go with them. Appreciate your insight on the install.

Nice ride, how hard was the t-top weather strip install?
    1986 GT T-Top.
    In the middle of its resto...

FEP Senior Member

Default Lrb 86 gt

I live near Keller Bothers in Lititz Pa and worked there during High School in 1985.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12