Close

Wink removing ignition lock cylinder without key

Really long story short, I need to remove my ignition lock cylinder and I don't have a key. I'd prefer to not tear it up but I can if I have to. Also, are the two t top locks different? I had 2 keys but mtbpassenger side is locked, but the drivers side is not. My plan is to take all of my lock cylinders out and have keys cut to the old locks.
    1984 Capri RS Turbo. Xspower header, stinger down pipe, precision 5431E billet t3/t4 turbo, procharger FMIC, eibach springs, dual walbro 255 pumps, 35 lb injectors, big vam, and lb3.

Its pretty easy remove the column covering to access the pin you'd push to remove the cylinder with the key on. Grab ya a drill bit the a bit smaller than the pin and drill it out. Sometimes you can punch it out but drilling is easier. Learned and used the drill out trick many times on broken ignitions
    Rick Schmidt
    82 Mustang GLX hatch ( Soon to be a 351W Monster )
    84 Mustang Notch 4 Cyl car ( Not as Deceased )
    01 Mustang V6 ( Daily Driver)
    92 F150 302, (Old Red )
    And ... the 05 Grand Caravan (One Eared Blue Elephant )

Yea, I was hoping to not have to drill it, but its looking like that's gonna be my only option.
    1984 Capri RS Turbo. Xspower header, stinger down pipe, precision 5431E billet t3/t4 turbo, procharger FMIC, eibach springs, dual walbro 255 pumps, 35 lb injectors, big vam, and lb3.

FEP Member

Or go down to local locksmith store and buy a set of "jigglers" they are made for the repossession industry. You can buy them online as well 25-27 dollars. I will give you more detail about them in a PM They are really easy to use and cheap.
    Last edited by B_Cmustangs; 10-31-2011 at 09:04 PM.

I have jigglers too. They actually do work.

FEP Senior Member

i was told years ago by a great locksmith that ford didnt have too many different key patterns. He pulled out a jar with some ford keys that he had saved over the years and proceeded to try few keys in my steering column(which i didnt have a key for), and about 3 or 4 keys later we had a match. I was pretty amazed. Good luck!
    Neal

FEP Member

Yeah, Early ford's had very few keys and the keys are one sided. I.E. meaning one side of the key actually operates the tumblers. Older fords are one of the easiest to use jigglers on. I owned a towing and repo company before my current venture. I too had a bucket of old ford keys for the auction cars that never had keys you would be amazed at how many would start after just a couple of keys.

ill bring you a few of my keys to old cars, heck I opened my neighbors 00 vic with the door key to my 88 lsc
    one last deal to make.

Well, I'm pleased to announce I found the keys... I searched my whole house top to bottom and also searched my truck.... I'm not sure where they were but I was working on the truck and they turned up on the floor board. There is a hardware store in the strip mall near work, ill be heading over there at lunch to make 2 spare sets of keys.