Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Mustangman75 used an aero bumper. He doesn't post here cause nobody liked his 4I converted Aero car. But he's on other Mustang sites.

I am 90% done with the mod. I will make a new post. Pretty easy actually.
    1986 GT T-Top 460 Big Block Turbo C6 Project
    1990 GT TKO 600 5 lug w/discs

This mod is outlined in the Mathis book, use the aero bumper shocks and make a 1 inch spacer.

Here's to resurrecting an old thread.

I have finally begun the repairs on my 85.5 SVO that I purchased with significant front end damaged over 13 years ago.

After pulling the frame, the entire front fender aprons and core support were replaced from an 87-93 donor from the shock towers forward.

i will be using the fiberglass bumper support and the nice thing is that since it is an SVO, I don't have the bumper parking lights to deal with.

The part I am most concerned about is mounting the SVO header panel to the aero core support. It will be awhile before I get to that.
    -Mike Malone
    69 Mach1, 81 LX, 83 GT Turbo, 85.5 SVO 9L, 86 SVO 2A, 86 GT, 90 LX 5.0 - and a badass 84 LTD Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by AT6svo View Post
    Here's to resurrecting an old thread.

I have finally begun the repairs on my 85.5 SVO that I purchased with significant front end damaged over 13 years ago.

After pulling the frame, the entire front fender aprons and core support were replaced from an 87-93 donor from the shock towers forward.

i will be using the fiberglass bumper support and the nice thing is that since it is an SVO, I don't have the bumper parking lights to deal with.

The part I am most concerned about is mounting the SVO header panel to the aero core support. It will be awhile before I get to that.
    There shouldn't be any issues with mating the SVO header panel to the Aero core support. The header panel's main support is the studs that go thru the fenders. There are the two 90 degree brackets on either side of the hood latch that attach to the header panel and the core support, but their location has been the same from 79-93. Same for the small bracket that mounts to the hood latch assembly and then to the header support. As long as you use the SVO hood latch and bracket you should be fine. The only other mounting points are the two thin 90 degree brackets with the dual slots that mount on either side of the radiator and then to the studs from the header panel. I would have to go look at my SVO panel to make sure they are there or not. If so, again that shouldn't be an issue and if they are, I have seen many cars that either didn't have them or were not connected. I connected them when possible, but other times, I have left them off too. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Another thread update. The header panel mounted to the aero core support reasonably well.

I did have to provide some additional clearance (minimal) in the areas where the headlight bucket studs protrude through the core support.

I am at the phase where I will be mating the aero fiberglass bumper support to the chassis, trimming the "flange" around the perimeter of the bumper support and attempting a test fit to see if additional shimming is required.

That should occur in the next two weeks. 4th of July holiday will be impacting my productivity. Happy Birthday America! Thank god our founding fathers were brave strong willed men.
    -Mike Malone
    69 Mach1, 81 LX, 83 GT Turbo, 85.5 SVO 9L, 86 SVO 2A, 86 GT, 90 LX 5.0 - and a badass 84 LTD Wagon

So the areo fiberglass bumper fit just fine behind the SVO bumper cover. The core support is also from an aero car, so it has the aero bumper shocks too. I did shim the bumper outward by 1" and probably could have used 1.5-2". I did NOT have to do any trimming to the fiberglass bumper support.
    -Mike Malone

So the shims are placed between the shocks and the support? Any pics installed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12