Close

Default Altering the sound of the exhaust...

I know that I've made many comments on how I would like to keep my car as close to stock as possible, but one thing about a 2.3T car that bugs me is the sound the exhaust makes. Is there any way to modify the sound of the stock exhaust setup by changing out the muffler or something?

When I first read comments here at FEP about the car sounding a bit like a tractor, I was somewhat skeptical, but I think that I get it now. I can live with the sound the turbo makes, but I would really like to find a way to make the car sound better than it does. It doesn't have to be loud or obnoxious, just better.

I'd appreciate any constructive advice or suggestions you could throw my way.

Thanks!
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

There has to be a way to make your 2.3 sound different, and I doubt a muffler change is going to make you happy. What I think you may be after is a custom header that takes into careful consideration the firing order, scavenging and primary tube length. Those would all be carefully thought out to maximize sound and performance. There's a reason a boxer-motored WRX sounds nothing like a turbo Mustang, even though they are both essentially 4-banger turbos.

Not sure if it is even possible but as long as it doesnt sound like a weed whacker you should be ok
    No Longer a 4I Owner
    But Have way too much 4I stuff Collecting Dust.

Thanks for the responses so far...

It's just that I can't be the first person that finds the sound of the 2.3T to be a bit on the "blah" side, can I? I was really hoping for those that have modified their exhaust to share their experiences and what modifications they made to make it sound better. I've tried doing a bit of online research, but places like Flowmaster or Cherry Bomb (just as a starting point) don't offer anything for my car. I'm just a bit stuck at this point. It's not a critical item obviously, but it would make driving the car a bit more enjoyable.
    Bryan

Mine has a full 3" Exhaust with a flowmaster dumped and it still sounds blah, it's loud and rumbles but it's nothing like even a mild mild V8! The 2.3L in my opinion never really sounded good and the only ones i have heard that I actually liked were cam'd up with race headers and huge exhaust! I wouldn't go flowmaster but maybe try a Dynomax or Magnaflow Turbo style muffler! Full 3" is always an option but it's pricey and rubs and rattles on everything! I can't tell you what 3" with tailpipe sounds like but that is what I want to do to mine and see if it sounds better!
    Chris,
    You guys go ahead and restore em! I'm gonna mod em!

79 Pace Car, 96K Original, Turbo 4, 4 speed. Soon to be V8 5 Speed!
    83 GT Project
    79 Z28 89K Original!

I don't mind the 3" dual setup on mine but then again I'm
    more interested in how fast I get there and not how I sound
    doing it

Well, how far do you want to go with it?

To keep things simple, and since your car isn't overly modded, a single 2-1/2" system will be more than plenty for your needs, with perhaps a 3" DP and cat.

Sound is kind of subjective, and I've had 2.3T cars with everything from Flowmasters (not my choice, and I hated them) to Dynomax Super Turbos.

I ran a Dynomax Ultra Flo (straight-thru, oval case) with a 2-1/2" set up for a while, and it wasn't obnoxious, but at least had some attitude to it.

These engines are going to sound like an angry lawn tractor, no matter what you do. Opinions change when you hear the turbo spooling (and the BOV/BPV, if you have one).
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

You have a lot of things working against a good sound with a 2.3T

Everything goes through the turbine and that changes the pulse frequency. That makes any muffler that works on pressure waves not work with the 2.3.

You can make one sound really good IMO at idle with chambered mufflers, but get the thing at highway cruise RPM and the drone will drive you insane (and kills power).

Run a straight through muffler and it sounds like a tractor at idle, but sort of sweet on boost tip in.

There are lots of combinations of converter versus not, adding resonators, different mufflers, and even tail pipes that all affect how they sound. Mostly what helps sound tends to hurt performance.

Heck, even changing from a tubular header to a log header changed my exhaust tone.

In the end, it's an inline 4 and you have to embrace the inner tractor
    Last edited by martin0660; 10-25-2011 at 11:28 AM.
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137

A few videos where you can hear mine (sort of)...

idle
    http://s1192.photobucket.com/albums/...=VIDEO0008.mp4

dyno
    http://s1192.photobucket.com/albums/...CapriDyno1.mp4

on a pass
    http://s1192.photobucket.com/albums/...riPass2011.mp4

This is 3" from turbo to bumper, Dynomax UltraFlo, log header with a Stage III turbine ... I also have the body of a spun converter in line as a resonator. also my wastegate is dumped in front of the rack (can be heard in dyno video)
    Bob Myers ©

There have been other threads with sound clips posted before, might want to try a search.

Here's mine from a few years ago.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR0LsL2cPBY
    1986 Mustang Notch, 2.3L Turbo Project

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy2.3Mustang View Post
    There have been other threads with sound clips posted before, might want to try a search.

Here's mine from a few years ago.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR0LsL2cPBY
    Jimmy -

I have done... As a matter of fact, i listened to that very same clip of your car earlier today. It sounds very nice indeed. I listened to quite a few clips, but there seemed to be a lot of dual exhaust setups and some very extensive modifications involved.

I was hoping to stick with the stock setup, but replacing everything from the muffler on to the back end of the car. It's all original and still in very good condition, so I wasn't planning anything radical. Running without a Cat is not an option because I need to keep the car Calif smog legal.

It was very overwheming for someone like me that has very limited experience with a turbo unit in a car. It's like this alien piece of hardware underneath my hood, because other than that, I'm familiar with all the other bits. Wastegates, dumps, spun converters...all this unfamiliar terminology just sails right over my head.

I'm trying to educate myself as much as I can on the turbo unit and how to maintain it properly. It took me a while to get used to the whooshing and whistling, so maybe I should just stick with replacing the rusty split exhaust tip for now until I know more about what I want it to sound like and what will accomplish that.

Just wanting to give it a bit more grunt without getting ricey or anything.

Thanks again for your responses. Keem 'em coming - I'm learning more and more all the time.
    Bryan

Sorry to assume you would know some of those .....

A turbo uses a wastegate to control boost. It does this by creating a bypass path for part of the exhaust to get out without going through the turbine. The stock style setup uses an internal gate, and it all happens right at the turbo, and all the exhaust comes out one point at the stock elbow. An alternate way to control boost is with an external wastegate. This is typically done to get a larger opening, and can result in better control. You can take the outlet of the external gate and plumb it back into the exhaust system, or you can run that open to atmosphere, or dumped.

Spun cats are typically the high performance type ones, rather simple, straight through bodies, and if its a 3" inlet / outlet, it might only have a 4" diameter body. Rather compact, usually high flowing, and a way to keep a converter in a system without taking a lot of room.

If your plan needs a cat, they do tend to make a 2.3 a little deeper, a little more quite, and smooth out some of the raspyness.
    Bob Myers ©

Like I mentioned, since I don't think it sounds like you're going to go crazy with mods on your car, a single 2-1/2" system will be fine.

You can just replace the cat-back portion with one of the options mentioned above, and have an off-the-shelf tailpipe available.

Adding a 3" DP, a new hi-flow cat, and continuing from there to the 2-1/2" finish, would work well for you. Stinger makes pretty much all you would need for the front section, and you can buy the rest pretty readily.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

The only reason I went with a dual setup, was because the tail pipes were an important part of the vision I had for the finished car. Should I ever finish the car (somewhat unlikely) the exhaust will look right. As it worked out the sound is OK, it does drone on the interstate, which is REALLY annoying. At some point I may try to insulate the car a bit so it's not as "rip your own head off" annoying. The biggest drawback of the system I chose was the expense, and moving the brake lines to clear the passenger's side muffler and tail pipe.

If you only want to take the cork out of the exhaust, and change the sound a little, any of the available down pipes into an aftermarket cat, with a single exhaust pipe to a decent muffler and stock exit tail pipe would probably get the job done a lot easier and cheaper. Between the turbo and the cat, it shouldn't be that loud even with a performance muffler. With a basic "turbo" muffler it'd probably be nearly as quiet as stock. I went with Flowmasters because i got the cat-back cheap, but they sound good around town. I don't like the sound (tractor) of some of the straight through mufflers I've heard on 2.3s.

It all depends on what you want, more performance means changing more parts. If you just want a different sound then change the muffler. Just keep in mind it's always going to be a turbocharged 4cyl. The turbo will always make noise, and the engine will never sound like a V8.
    1986 Mustang Notch, 2.3L Turbo Project

Hooker Maxflow with 2.5 inch tail pipe no cat
    Idle

Rev

Hooker Maxflow with Magnaflow cat and 2.5 inch tail pipe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIphTteEvrU
    No matter where you go, there you are

I have also wondered if there was anyway to make the 2.3t sound better. I mean mitsubishi evo's and dodge srt-4's also have 2.3t and they sound very different...i know i might be comparing apples to oranges but still,...they are 4 cylinder inline 2.3 liter turbo engines.

I know Dodge Srt-4's run a single down pipe to a "Y" pipe and then a crossover "H" pipe and then mufflers. Has anyone tried a "Y" pipe and then a cross over "H" or "X" pipe??

here is a clip i found with a BORLA muffler,,sounds beefy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t7CstV6ssY

One thing I noticed when I put my new muffler on is that the sound got deeper because the muffler was phisicaly bigger. Also if you have the stock double tail pipe you will have a different sound based on lenght of the pipes. My pipes on the RS are about 4" shorter than my dads 79 RS and the tone is different and more burbly like a mod motor....
    If you blink at the end of the straight away you'll miss the twisties and what fun would that be!
    1982 Capri RS 5.0L
    Suspension Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...tion-and-Build
    1985 SVO 2A & leather. Stolen & Destroyed 2022
    Motor Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=63505
    Dyno stats and exhaust install http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Dyno-d-finally
    My FMIC build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-amp-D-project
    Electronic boost controller and bypass valve
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-Bypass-Valve
    Opperation SVO Tunes http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...51#post1148551

Default Exhaust Note:::

stock head pipe... short straight thru cat.....2.5" MAGNAFLOW turbo muffler..2.5"stainless tail pipe......Sounds good to me

I went with 3 in DP to a 2.5 in y-pipe and psuedo dual exhaust with glass pak short(18 in I think) mufflers. It sounds IMO better than the original single pipe.

Oh no CAT helps out too.
    KIT

Formerly ISS SVO

"Money is like manure, of very little use except it be spread."

Francis Bacon

1984 SVO 1C #875
    MAYBE 1986 SVO 2R GTA ED. It was a theft recovery car.
    2011 GT premium 401a package KONA BLUE 6 speed manual

just replace what u need and add a straight throw muffler with a monza tip (dual tip )

it will sound a little better i have one on my 3'' system with magna flow muffler sounds like a tractor with good exhust system on it!

I would rather be juged by 12 than carried by 6

I know this thread is old but I thought I would add mine just incase someone found it helpful later. Mine is a bone stock 88 tbird motor with a stinger 3" DP, 3" mid pipe, to a 3" in/out hooker aero chamber.

It sounds good but it drones bad if cruising under 2k.

Pic

Video

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1...6/00817824.mp4

best way to make 2.3's sound better is a cam swap..

http://youtu.be/3LyNdMwcqVU
    00 GT Terminnated
    86 GT Vert 9L
    00 SVT contour

Past cars
    92 coupe 2.3t conversion, 85 SVO 1C, 87 turbo coupe 1C, 88 turbo coupe 1C,98 svt contour black