Close

Thread: SVO rear brakes

Default SVO rear brakes

so ive pulled the SVO out of the garage again to drive this summer while i work on my 86 but i do have a few needs for the SVO first starting with getting the rear brakes to work correctly. last year i replaced all four calipers and new ebrake cables but still cant get the ebrake to work. i spent countless hours adjusting and tinkering trying to get it to work but found no solution. i will be digging into them again with a buddy of mine at his shop next week and was wondering if any body could point me in the right direction as to where to look could i have gotten a malfuctioning rear set?(they are ford remaned) will newer rear calipers as well as fronts from 99-04 cobra fit directly? thanks guys
    Brandon
    1986 Mustang GT
    1981 Capri GS - sold
    1985 Mustang SVO

What isn't working? Do the cables move when you pull the handle? Did you have them adjusted via the adjuster nut on the handle? Do the pivots on the calipers move when you pull the handle? Stuff like that.
    1984 SVO - .63 T3/T4, NPR, LA3, Boport 1.5
    1984 GT - 306

Yes all of that works and i have tried using the adjuster nut and when the handle is pulled the brake does not engage.
    1986 Mustang GT
    1981 Capri GS - sold
    1985 Mustang SVO

Man I got same issue....Im not sure if there is some kind of adjustment screw in the caliper to set Ebrake somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Man I got same issue....Im not sure if there is some kind of adjustment screw in the caliper to set Ebrake somehow...
    im not sure either...its really annoying...
    1986 Mustang GT
    1981 Capri GS - sold
    1985 Mustang SVO

FEP Senior Member

It's a mechanical adjustment. As Dan (KJDad) stated, check the operation all the way back to the calipers. Make sure the cables are pulling and the levers on the calipers are moving. Then make sure the pads are moving. If all is good, you should have a good E-brake.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

If you've taken the slack out of the parking brake cables, then it sounds like you need to adjust the rear pistons within the caliper. They screw into the piston bores. There is a K-D tool that looks like a puck with two pins on it. The pins fit intot the piston face and the tool is used to screw the piston in and out.
    "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car." - Will Shriner

'86 GT Mustang "Tigger"
    '95 GT convertible (wife's car)
    '86 SVO accursed car (sold)

finally got them to work i took some of the spring that was on the cables off to help remove the slack and adjust the pistions thanks guys!!!
    1986 Mustang GT
    1981 Capri GS - sold
    1985 Mustang SVO

Quote Originally Posted by kbrandt View Post
    If you've taken the slack out of the parking brake cables, then it sounds like you need to adjust the rear pistons within the caliper. They screw into the piston bores. There is a K-D tool that looks like a puck with two pins on it. The pins fit intot the piston face and the tool is used to screw the piston in and out.
    A long-nose pliers works pretty well, too... if you're doing it on the ˘heap.

How far "in" on that adjustment??

Here is a handy guide to the SVO rear brakes set up & adjustment.

http://www.thelincolnmarkviiclub.org...eplacement.pdf
    86 SVO Boport stage 3 head,Turbonetics T-66,96lb/hr injectors,lots of BOOST!