Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by vascj View Post
    personally speaking, I don't think most people even knew there was a difference in horsepower between the manual and AOD cars.
    That's certainly true if the people buying the cars only knew how to use an automatic. But one would think most would have noticed right away the differences, including the hefty $545/$700 premium for the transmission along with a night-and-day test drive of both. We're talking a 30% difference in power.

Add the single exhaust hanging out back and it surely paints a picture of a saggy sales situation of early 85 AOD cars, because,

according to ... "Job #1 plus 60 days" (it ended up being Job1 + 90 days)
    ... it took an additional 30 days to get rid of all the extra stock.

Not sure if we have the sales stats broken down that far yet. It would be interesting to see.
    No longer visiting. Cheers.

I know in the instance of Tony's old car, the original owner purchased it with an auto so his wife could drive it too. It was fairly stripped down and the original owner paid extra and waited for it as well if I recall correctly.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Sales were very close between the CFI/AOD and 4V/T-5 convertibles. The difference was less than 8% of total 5.0L convertible sales for the model year.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 10-14-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 86 GT View Post
    aaron......you see this??
    Yes, Do you also Notice the Metal fan??? which would make this a Early 85, also, looking at the valve covers, they may have been added to the car as early 85's had the Metal Valve covers, or am I wrong about this to! I know one original 85 AOD owner who had finned valve covers installed on his 85 AOD coupe after he bought it new from the dealer.

Im just saying, unless you bought the car new, who knows how it actually came, Like my 95 Cobra, I bought it new it only has the CD Radio in it. Everyone who sees it says they all had cd/Tape in them. Mine did not.

Not trying to argue, who knows what people added to these cars after they bought them.
    1979 Pace car
    1985 GT
    1993 Cobra #4993, Last 93 Cobra Builit
    1995 Cobra #1670 Bought
    2009 GT500KR #173
    And a few other's

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

good points, but, most folks that wanted the AOD cars for some reason or another didn't even think about test driving a manual car, so it would have been real hard for them to notice the differences.
    for folks that really wanted an automatic car, the new AODs that were introduced in 85 were actually something people looked forward to. I believe they put this same tranny in the turbo thunderbirds. In the case of the original owner for my car, he ordered it in I believe maybe Jan and the car didn't even arrive at the dealership until June. Apparently there was a big backlog on the new and improved AOD trannys and the big luxury cars had first dibs over the Mustang orders. This is all second hand knowledge, but, what I was told. I agree big difference in power relatively speaking, but, for back in the day 180 HP was still pretty good for a very nice driving V8 mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTTops View Post
    That's certainly true if the people buying the cars only knew how to use an automatic. But one would think most would have noticed right away the differences, including the hefty $545/$700 premium for the transmission along with a night-and-day test drive of both. We're talking a 30% difference in power.

Add the single exhaust hanging out back and it surely paints a picture of a saggy sales situation of early 85 AOD cars, because,

... it took an additional 30 days to get rid of all the extra stock.

Not sure if we have the sales stats broken down that far yet. It would be interesting to see.

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

Aaron, the AOD cars had metal fans early and late. I don't know quite when they phased out the alum valve covers for the black ones for the AOD cars. They may have used them for the early and at the beginning of the exhaust conversion but haven't seen enough cars to be definitive on that one.
    I know for sure the metal fans were early and late. I had a metal fan on my car...a late car.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronlstiles View Post
    Yes, Do you also Notice the Metal fan??? which would make this a Early 85, also, looking at the valve covers, they may have been added to the car as early 85's had the Metal Valve covers, or am I wrong about this to! I know one original 85 AOD owner who had finned valve covers installed on his 85 AOD coupe after he bought it new from the dealer.

Im just saying, unless you bought the car new, who knows how it actually came, Like my 95 Cobra, I bought it new it only has the CD Radio in it. Everyone who sees it says they all had cd/Tape in them. Mine did not.

Not trying to argue, who knows what people added to these cars after they bought them.

The plot thickens. According to the master parts catalog, E55Y headers were used on 1985 convertibles, which were different than the E4ZZ headers found on the coupes and hatchbacks. This was a one year only header set. So the question is, did any 5.0 CFI verts have single exhaust and cast headers in 1985?
    It is possible that 5.0L CFI convertibles weren't built until after the improved exhaust was implemented for that engine.

The only Deluxe (Marti) Report that I have seen for an '85 5.0L CFI convertible shows a three month delay between when the car was ordered and when it was "serialized" (assigned a VIN). The day it was "bucked" (bare chassis formed completely) was after the Nov. 19 CFI exhaust change-over.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    It is possible that 5.0L CFI convertibles weren't built until after the improved exhaust was implemented for that engine.

The only Deluxe (Marti) Report that I have seen for an '85 5.0L CFI convertible shows a three month delay between when the car was ordered and when it was "serialized" (assigned a VIN). The day it was "bucked" (bare chassis formed completely) was after the Nov. 19 CFI exhaust change-over.
    That makes real sense. I don't see anything in the parts catalogs showing a split in production for 1985 verts, so having their special tubulars ready before production lines up. As mentioned to Ed, there was a split in the RH tubular header production in 1986 mid-year, but that's the only year I see this occurring.
    No longer visiting. Cheers.

That makes real sense. I don't see anything in the parts catalogs showing a split in production for 1985 verts, so having their special tubulars ready before production lines up. As mentioned to Ed, there was a split in the RH tubular header production in 1986 mid-year, but that's the only year I see this occurring.
    I hope to post a picture of that header soon. Still recovering over here, so I cannot lift anything over 10 lbs.... Maybe I can persuade my wife to open the hood so I can take a pic...

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

The plot thickens. According to the master parts catalog, E55Y headers were used on 1985 convertibles, which were different than the E4ZZ headers found on the coupes and hatchbacks. This was a one year only header set. So the question is, did any 5.0 CFI verts have single exhaust and cast headers in 1985?
    My 85 McLaren is a late version with the tubular headers, 'dual' exhaust, and black valve covers. The drivers exhaust manifold is a different than the normal 4 in to 1 (all four exhaust ports meet at the collector). On mine, #1, #2 & #4 meet at the collector like normal, but #3 comes out and is welded to the side of tube for #1. I have seen this same manifold on a few other cars. Maybe this is the other part number.... I know there was a discussion a few years back about the various tubular manifolds.

edit: Found it... http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...hlight=exhaust
    Last edited by Mustang Marty; 10-15-2011 at 01:42 AM.
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

My 85 AOD Twister II has the cast iron man. and had single exhaust that is missing, and I've been trying to find a correct taillpipe with no luck at all, If anyone has a correct new or used taillpipe I'm needing one!!

http://www.stinger-performance.com/Pics/SVOTip1.jpg
    http://www.stinger-performance.com/Pics/SVOTip.jpg

The oem had resonators in them similar to Hedman Hedders 17106

My Mustang and 85 LX had these dual tips.

This is an oem stainless pipe for an SVO bought at dealer back in the 80's.
    The resonator tips rusted off long ago.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/album.ph...ictureid=12515
    Last edited by gr79; 10-15-2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: sport tuned dual tip tailpipe

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

What was the build date?

QUOTE=tjgtstang;1278883]My 85 AOD Twister II has the cast iron man. and had single exhaust that is missing, and I've been trying to find a correct taillpipe with no luck at all, If anyone has a correct new or used taillpipe I'm needing one!![/QUOTE]

The date on tjgstang's Twister II door tag should be 10/84.

Quote Originally Posted by vascj View Post
    What was the build date?

QUOTE=tjgtstang;1278883]My 85 AOD Twister II has the cast iron man. and had single exhaust that is missing, and I've been trying to find a correct taillpipe with no luck at all, If anyone has a correct new or used taillpipe I'm needing one!!
    [/QUOTE]

My build is 10/84 and DSO code of 53 and paint code of 2R.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    http://www.stinger-performance.com/Pics/SVOTip1.jpg
    http://www.stinger-performance.com/Pics/SVOTip.jpg

The oem had resonators in them similar to Hedman Hedders 17106

My Mustang and 85 LX had these dual tips.

This is an oem stainless pipe for an SVO bought at dealer back in the 80's.
    The resonator tips rusted off long ago.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/album.ph...ictureid=12515
    Thanks for the info, what a deal I was having real hell of a time trying to find this you hook me up, Thanks again!!

Default single dual tip tailpipe

The assy i bought back on 6/1/85 was going obsolete and got a deal on it.
    Bought it over the counter at Ed Schmid Ford, Ferndale, MI. for 115.15 List 143.89
    According to my notebook records the assy P/N was/is E5ZZ 5230 EX
    Note the E5ZZ prefix and the EX. Installed to 85.5?

Had to change over from the 79 setup to the later style hangers.
    The later style dual tips are shorter than the early style, different hangers.
    E3ZZ 5277A BODY SIDE TP HANGER BRACKET, 2 bolts
    E3ZZ 5277B TP SIDE HANGER BRACKET, 2 bolts
    E3ZZ 5F262A RUBBER DONUT TO CONNECT ABOVE
    E2DZ 5277A BODY SIDE HANGER BRACKET FOR MUFFLER
    E3DZ 5277A MUFFLER SIDE HANGER BRACKET

muffler, over axle pipe, split dual chromed tip, all welded assy.
    The over axle pipe must be of ss as it has not rusted out. Bracket is fine too.

The chromed tips were welded on to this pipe.
    Rusted out on both the assys i had, the factory one and the SVO one.

The end of the tips are not straight 90° cut.
    Close as i can measure cut close to 11° or 79° depending on which way its looked at.

http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/1...4_00013_06.jpg
    http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/1...9_00003_04.jpg
    Last edited by gr79; 10-16-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Default 85 GT built in September of 84

My GT has a build date of Sept 1984 and has the correct 85 dual pipes, my friend has a Sept build date 85 LX 5.0 and it has the 84 style tail pipes. Just facts..

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mickellw View Post
    My GT has a build date of Sept 1984 and has the correct 85 dual pipes, my friend has a Sept build date 85 LX 5.0 and it has the 84 style tail pipes. Just facts..

Michael
    Is yours carb/stick car or injected/auto car?

Quote Originally Posted by tjgtstang View Post
    Is yours carb/stick car or injected/auto car?
    Yeah, that matters, because we are NOT talking about exhaust on the 4V/T-5 models.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123