Close

Default would you take this on??

well my grandfather offered me the 56 chevy two door post gasser today. he told me if i brought it back to life i could have it. but i dont know if i can take it, the car hasnt been started/moved since 1987 and for a good reason

the car was my dads brothers. in 1987 my dad was 13 and his brother was 15, they were both sitting on the couch when his moms boyfriend (parents were split) came home. he was a local cop and was cleaning his gun. he sat it down and the gun went off, the bullet hit my dads brother in the back of the head killing him instantly.

dave (my dads brother) had been working on the car for two years and was going to take it on a road trip across the country when he got his license. he put on a fiberglass flip up front end, a 350, 4 speed, 12 bolt rear, straight axle and the car was just about to be painted. then he was killed. ever since the day he was killed the car hasnt been started or moved. it has just sat in the exact spot it was that day, untouched.

my grandfather wants me to finish it and take the road trip with my dad to give my dad some closure (it was always a real touchy subject from him because him and his brother were so close) whats stopping me is that im a college student with one project and one money pit of a daily driver. i just dont have the funds to get it running again. it's been sitting in a barn, so it would need some body repair and probably quite a bit of mechanical work to get it going.

what would you do if you were me?
    Build your own dreams or help someone else build theirs!

67 Mustang Coupe-Rusty Parts Car
    79 Mustang Cobra- Garage Art/Project Car 11.3@118mph on a 150 shot
    84 Mustang Gt- Bolt On Fun Car
    97 Wrangler Sport- Lifted on 33's - Trail Rig
    08 Mustang Gt- Bolt Ons, 12.89@109

Work on it when you can, letting your father and grandfather know you'll need their help. It's not a project you'll want to do on your own for plenty of reasons beyond your limited time and budget.
    No longer visiting. Cheers.

FEP Senior Member

I would do whatever I could to help your Dad heal from the experience. Yes, let them know you will need help, make it kind of a team effort. Plus, in the end it will make the three of you closer. Trust me when I tell you, life is short, try not to pass up an opportunity to show your love for your Dad.
    I would give anything for an opportunity like that, drive across the country in an old gasser with my Pops in the passenger's seat.

Def do it! Not a chevy guy,but,considering the year and model,the fact that it's a GASSER, and time with your dad and grandad,gi for it. Like has already been said,let them know you'll need some help,the bonding will be priceless
    putting together a little something special......stay tuned!

92 notch-WIP
    87GT-S Trim,4:10s,AOD=12.70@107
    89vert-sold
    84SVO-WIP
    84 notch-aka-FREAKSHOW
    85GT shell-for sale
    78 Zephyr-WIP
    86 Capri RS-WIP

Finally,the list of fox wants is complete!!!

FEP Senior Member

Do it. I am sure that they understand it takes time and money to finish a car like that.

That's some sig Jake. Old school gassers are cool,I think you should grab it and save it for a future project. You gotta finish that Cobra first.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangjoe413 View Post
    I would do whatever I could to help your Dad heal from the experience. Yes, let them know you will need help, make it kind of a team effort. Plus, in the end it will make the three of you closer. Trust me when I tell you, life is short, try not to pass up an opportunity to show your love for your Dad.
    I would give anything for an opportunity like that, drive across the country in an old gasser with my Pops in the passenger's seat.
    X2
    My Dad and I liked working together on my '68 Camaro. He had been driving it on the day he died June 1st, 1980. (I was 20). On August 6th, 1980 the Camaro was stolen from in front of my Mom's house, and I never saw it again either.
    1983 Mustang GLX convertible - "Collette"
    2002 Ford F-150 XLT
    2008 Acura TL
    2003 Chevy Suburban
    2003 Ford Taurus GL SW

Your dad's brother would have driven the hell out of that car. You and your dad should do that since your dad's brother isn't here to do it any more. He'd probably want you to.
    It's 'definitely', not 'defanitely', 'definately' or 'definetly'.

Get some pics up when you get a chance, sounds like a neat project.

Ask your granddad if he will help with the financial aspect if you put in the sweat equity to get it up & running again... Sounds like it is a complete car that just needs body work or paint work finishing? If it has not been run in years, it's going to need the fluids drained & refreshed, oil shot down the cylinders and hand cranked prior to starting, tune up and also more than likely, gas tank dropped and cleaned, refill w/ new fuel, etc... etc...

At least get it running - your dad would most likely be surprised to hear that thing start up one day after all the years it's been dormant. Just starting it for him may bring some closure, being able to pull it out of the garage on it's own power may even do it too.... even if the paint/body work will be long term.

I would surely not sell it or get rid of it. Accept the car from your grandfather and keep it in the family - it's only going to continue to appreciate in value, even if it's modded.
    - Phil
    1994 Cobra Coupe SVT #13 and 2018 Mustang EB Premium w/Perf Pack

Chris Wood

No question....I'd do it. Chances are though that being put together by a 15 year old, it is gonna need some rework.
    Just a thought though, have you given any thought to submitting the story to something like overhaulin' or rescue and restore? This is the kinda story they go for.

My dad bought an ex-gasser '57 Chev sedan delivery on a whim back in the day. Straight axle, one piece tilt front end, the works. I was working at a small shop and daily drove that thing for about a week when both my other cars crapped out.

Man, that was sketchy on the freeway - I can't imagine what it would have been like at 130mph.
    1981 Durango (ends my 18 year drought of not owning a F/Z)

do it! I would not pass up a deal like that, being able to take something that means so much to the family and finishing it would be quite rewarding!
    original v8 AOD car For Sale
    1998 Mustang GT Vert

www.dslocum-photography.com

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

wow...tough decision. It's a very big responsibility restoring an old car. Lots of "elbow grease" and lots of financial demands. You really have to make it clear that if you take this project on, that it will be limited by your time and your financial resources. As long as all of thats clear, it would be a great opportunity and project to take on longterm. best of luck with your decision.

i would jump on it! my dad and grandfather had a 57' chevy gasser back in the late 70s
    <Dayne>
    1985 Monte Carlo SS 5.7
    1993 Civic Coupe JDM B16A1
    1982 Mustang GT 5.0
    1980 Mustang Notchback 5.0
    1993 Civic SI D16Z6
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1
    1978 Honda Accord CVCC 1.6
    1983 Camaro Berlinetta 2.8
    1981 Mustang Notchback ...Engineless...again

If I was you, I'd sooooooo want to do it ---- though I agree with vascj...

Quote Originally Posted by vascj View Post
    wow...tough decision. It's a very big responsibility restoring an old car. Lots of "elbow grease" and lots of financial demands. You really have to make it clear that if you take this project on, that it will be limited by your time and your financial resources. As long as all of thats clear, it would be a great opportunity and project to take on longterm. best of luck with your decision.

Here is some inspiration for you. While these are both 55s you get the idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv2qY...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFgTMYEaWlc

Disclaimer: My posting these clips does not mean I condone street racing.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by mustangjoe413 View Post
    This, you never know how long you haVe...

Quote Originally Posted by EVIL8286 View Post
    That's some sig Jake. Old school gassers are cool,I think you should grab it and save it for a future project. You gotta finish that Cobra first.
    i decided to walk through all the barns the other day and thats the list of whats there that i came up with. haha.

i think its going to have to sit in the barn until at least spring, i want to finish the cobra before i start this.

i tried to turn over the 350 and i think its seized. luckily theres a 79 caprice wagon with a 350 in it i can steal out of the backyard. this may be a 2-3yr project.

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

do it!!!!
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

Hey I got a 4mac bolt main 350 chillin in my shed if you need it but everyone does 350s....try to find somthin like a 327....my uncle even has hilborne injection setups for chevy smallblocks
    <Dayne>
    1985 Monte Carlo SS 5.7
    1982 Mustang GT 5.0
    1993 Civic SI D16Z6
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1

Don't mind the terrible spelling and random words...im on my cell
    <Dayne>
    1985 Monte Carlo SS 5.7
    1982 Mustang GT 5.0
    1993 Civic SI D16Z6
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1

its cool, theres a 327 with trips in the barn too. also a tunnel ram dual quad set up and some other nostalgic things. it amazes me the things that man collected in his 60 years.

you do the labor
    gramps bank rolls it
    mom pays for the road trip
    smile on dad's face PRICELESS
    02 F150 Lightning
    82 mustang gt

Have a family meeting and discuss what would be best.
    Present cars:
    1984 GT turbo t-tops

Wish list:
    1984 Predator
    Capri ASC McLaren Coupe
    1980 Cobra 4 spd
    1979 Pace Car
    (In order of Preference as well)

Quote Originally Posted by 4wheeldevil View Post
    you do the labor
    gramps bank rolls it
    mom pays for the road trip
    smile on dad's face PRICELESS
    the finance thing is what really kills it.

i have too much stuff on my plate right now already.

my grandpas a paint/body guy but he works two jobs just to make his ex wife happy.

my dad and mom split up in march so he's still struggling to get back in good financial shape. hell the 97 only had 800 miles put on it this year because he was too busy to drive it.

its just gotta stay on the back burner for now. but i will do it some day in the not so far away future