Close

Default 84 5.0 update questions

Hi guys, new to the site/forum and I have a general question, I found a sweet 84 convertible with a 5.0-CFI with an AOD that I am going to work on this winter and was wondering what the thoughts are about replacing the EEC-IV system with electronics. The vacuum system has been butchered and past experience with them makes me think I want to put something better in place. I want to keep it a driver, nothing radical ( headers, exhaust, mild cam perhaps ). I plan on putting many miles on it in the coming years... Anyone have any ideas about options? Open to suggestions, thanks for any help.

Hi and welcome to FEP, my 2 cents are, and some will disagree, I would put a Eddy intake and carb on it. That will make it more drivable. But that's my 2 cents. But if you want to fix all the CFI and vacuum lines on it, there is a lot of info on here. And a lot of guys that have been in the same boat as you and fixed theirs. Good luck
    Have:1986 Mustang GT Silver on Red, 5.0, 5 Speed
    1985 Mustang LX Red on Red 2.3 auto The Turd!
    Had: 1990 Thunderbird SC Red on Black 3.8 SC 5 Speed
    1969 Olds Cutlass S 350 Rocket auto, 12.5 Qt. Mile.
    1970 Chevelle SS 396 375 hp First car
    1977 & 79 Camaro Z/28 400 SBC auto
    1985 Camaro IROC Z Stock 5.0 auto
    1987 Camaro IROC Z Stock 5.7 auto
    1983 Olds Cutlass 350 Rocket auto 13.8 Qt. Mile
    1985 Mustang GT Black on Gray, 5.0, 5 Speed R.I.P.

FEP Senior Member

I agree. Drop a Edelbrock intake or better yet find a aluminum dual plane Ford 4bbl intake and drop a Holley or Performer carb at about 600cfm vac secondaries.
    85 Mustang Coupe, 3.3L I6, C4, 8.8 3L23, 17x8 wheels. About 70% towards firing it up.

I carbed my 85 GT that was originally a CFI car. Cost wise, you will probably be cheaper off carbureting it, but you can also do an SEFI swap too.....

Justin
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.

Thanks Guys, that what I was thinking too, simplify it as much as possible, I would rather NOT deal with EEC and CFI, used to have to deal with it back when it first came around... last time I did it was a 1980 Pinto wagon with a 2.3, ended up with Offy dual port, Holley 4160, Mallory dual point, mild cam and headers. The scary part is that it was a car I did 1500-2000 miles a week in carrying 500+ pounds of tools and equipment! Trying to find pictures...

Any one had any experience with dropping a late model drive train in? might have a line on a wrecked one that has 5.0/5 speed.