Close

Default Anyone install a new CD player in their car?

It seems like everybody wants the original radios or the new style original like radio with the CD changer/player mounted else where. I want to put my Kenwood in the dash has anyone else put a normal head unit in there car? What was the effort and what do I need? I like my crappy kenwood, I don't want or can afford anything else. I just want to put my simple CD/Radio in the dash where it belongs, LOL. Actually I do want the Sony with the built in hard drive and an amp for the antenna.

So like are there brackets I'd need to buy?

I have a new Alpine w/Ipod connection. With the mounting kit from Crutchfield it slid right in.
    1984 SVO 2A - Sold
    1993 Cobra Teal
    2009 Shelby GT500 KR

I just used the sleeve that came with the radio.
    I trimmed the mounting plate to fit the opening after this picture was taken.
    I just could not find a newer one since I converted it to an 8-track.
    I then mounted this radio under the front seat.
    It is held in place with velcro strips, and controlled with the remote.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

Who uses CD's any more?
    No longer visiting. Cheers.

Alpine digital in the 84. Trim and cut, sleeve fits right in.
    Nothing special.
    85 GT convertible

Pretty much as shown above, trim the opening to fit the sleeve, then install it all. It's a fairly simple process, just take your time and don't cut too much too fast.

The best thing to do would be to get a radio with a USB connection, even remote. I've helped my brother install a couple of these, we ran the USB port up the dash, and into an unused part, and made it look like it was a factory USB port in the dash. He just plugs in his flash drive with music on it, and plays it from the stereo.

I'm wanting to say he got his latest Kenwood online for like $60. It's much better than the $200 unit I have in my Capri!!!

Rob

I just got a new radio from Crutchfield...I'll tell ya what...I never knew there was even an installation kit for our cars...but there is and its awesome! It's a funky bracket that mounts using the stock holes and it fits perfect...no trimming or anything!

My old radio was installed just using the cage and was ok - but a little loose at times...but the crutchfield mounting kit is a must have. Very easy to install and free with a radio purchase...free wiring harness too!

I echo what Mike just wrote. The installation packages make it much easier.

I just put in one of the Sony iPhone digital head units into the capri, which came factory with no radio but had an aftermarket one in there. Installation was a breeze.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Yeah, any more a head unit with a USB or AUX input is the way to go. Even if you have a small non-ipod mp3 player, it totally trumps CDs. I avoid anything from Apple, so I look for the AUX inputs, over the ipod control.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

The radio I have pictured above, has a USB and a SD card slot.
    I bought it for the SD slot. I don't like the USB sticking out.
    In my other cars I use this radio. No CD or USB only SD and radio.
    I have been using them for over 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTTops View Post
    Who uses CD's any more?
    Exactly. Don't get a CD player. You want one with a memory jack on it.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTTops View Post
    Who uses CD's any more?
    I do I enjoy having physical media. If anything for a just in case. I usually buy CD's and burn them directly to the computer, use the originals as back up cds and put every thinig on MP3 players or CD-R's
    Quote Originally Posted by SVT Rob View Post
    Pretty much as shown above, trim the opening to fit the sleeve, then install it all. It's a fairly simple process, just take your time and don't cut too much too fast.

The best thing to do would be to get a radio with a USB connection, even remote. I've helped my brother install a couple of these, we ran the USB port up the dash, and into an unused part, and made it look like it was a factory USB port in the dash. He just plugs in his flash drive with music on it, and plays it from the stereo.

I'm wanting to say he got his latest Kenwood online for like $60. It's much better than the $200 unit I have in my Capri!!!

Rob
    I already have a cd player, I really want one that has those ports in it. I mainly bought it cause one it was cheap and two, it was one of the few that use Red LEDs versus blue. I hate the color blue(Roxanne is blue, how ironic). I might see if a pawn shop will trade it. I don't really see he point of a remote in a car. LOL that irritates me. The good thing is some of these CD players will power a small portable USB harddrive, I found that out. You could keep it on your glove box.
    Quote Originally Posted by n20capri View Post
    I just got a new radio from Crutchfield...I'll tell ya what...I never knew there was even an installation kit for our cars...but there is and its awesome! It's a funky bracket that mounts using the stock holes and it fits perfect...no trimming or anything!

My old radio was installed just using the cage and was ok - but a little loose at times...but the crutchfield mounting kit is a must have. Very easy to install and free with a radio purchase...free wiring harness too!
    I'm so happy to hear there is a kit for our cars. Noe to get one
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    Yeah, any more a head unit with a USB or AUX input is the way to go. Even if you have a small non-ipod mp3 player, it totally trumps CDs. I avoid anything from Apple, so I look for the AUX inputs, over the ipod control.
    Yeah, personally I don't even like to keep CD's in my car. one less reason for somebody to break in to it. I wish there was a radio that was strictly just a radio and like a 120gig hard drive for holding songs. and it had the ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody View Post

Yeah, personally I don't even like to keep CD's in my car. one less reason for somebody to break in to it. I wish there was a radio that was strictly just a radio and like a 120gig hard drive for holding songs. and it had the ports.
    Well, with the SSHDs coming out and getting larger, that may very well be a possibility soon. Still, you have to get the media to the unit.

I hadn't seen the ones with the SD cards yet, but I may look into that when I do the Scorpio's stereo. Right now I just have my mp3 player, which I take with me from car to car and plug it in. I listen to it at work too, so it makes more sense for me over the SD or USBs right now.

On your Kenwood, did it have any provisions for CD changer control, or RCA IN (not out for amps)? On my older Alpine unit, I have an adapter cable that plugs into the old CD changer control port that has a std aux jack on the other end.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

No it only has the outs for an amp. I want one of those CD players with the built in hard drive. I just don't get how you put songs on it.
    Last edited by Jax Rhapsody; 10-11-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody View Post
    No it only has the outs for an amp. I want one of those CD players with the built in hard drive. I just don't get how you put songs on it.
    What you want is something like this wireless set-up from 2005.
    http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosga.../dp/B000931HZA
    This is pretty old model there must be newer ones that work the same.

Yeah, I'd love to have that. What kills me is they discontinue stuff like that, knowing thats where time & tech is headed anyway. Think about it. It'll probably be a long long time before I ever fill up a 20gb hard drive completely. Hopefully I'll have money left over when I get my car fixed. I still have headlights, tail light bulbs and various other stuff to buy. I only got 300 bucks left after selling my Bronco.

What about us with the post style radios.I'd love to see a sirius radio and antenna to fit our cars
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho
    VP Berks County Mustang Car Club
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462250

I think the way to go if you got nice phone, get a bluetooth setup, I was able to stream all my media on the phone over to my wifes focus. There are good aftermarket units out there that do this. You don't even need to pay for a subscription for a satellite unit, just stream it from your phone.
    1979 capri, a mess, 86 efi

About hard-drive radios, i don't see the point to have that much music in a car.
    With the 8Gb usb stick on my daily driver, that's already too much ... takes too much time and distraction to switch to the music i'd like to listen.
    '79 Pace Car 5.0 (well 4.2 until better days)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

I hafta have a lot of music in my car. Next thing is speakers. I'm sure by now either none work or only one.