Close

Exclamation Door Speakers in 86 GT?

Can door speakersa be added to a 86 GT? I am currently working on some new door panels. The new door panels have a pre-cut speaker hole that is not fully cut thru. Looks like a 6 inch speaker opening. I am wondering if the location at the bottom front corner is save to install or not. Thanks!!

The PO of my '86 Capri cut holes for door speakers and there is just barely enough room for the magnet to fit through.... where it's exposed to water dripping from the dew wipes. If the holes are cut any bigger, it'll compromise the strength of the inner door skin.... so when I put door speakers back in it after I patch the holes the PO cut, I'm going to make new door panels and construct some custom speaker pods that will follow the design of the door panels...that way the speaker magnets won't be inside the door where they can get wet.
    '86 Capri 5.0, black with charcoal interior, 5 spd, fully restored, mildly modded.

'86 Capri 5.0, white with black interior, C4, rotisserie restored, heavily modded.

Exclamation

Just did a search on the site. I think I will Not do the door speakers now. I have the aftermarket panels that you need to reuse your factory upper aluminum panel. Might do the dash speaker up-grade I am thinking now.

Check out this article. Guy did the door speakers (required some fab work) and a bunch of other stereo upgrades to his 4-eye. But of course, there were professional installers involved ---> http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...dio/index.html

I just finished setting up the system in the 86 GT.

Rather than cutting door panels ( a tragic error I did years ago on my first RS) I put an upgraded set of Kenwood 3 1/2" speakers with a set of Kenwood 6x9 in the back. ( PO had carved the interior 1/4's a bit so I installed aftermarkets and color matched them to the interior.
    To add a little punch I added and color matched a Bazooka sub which is self amplified.

I have to say that I am quite impressed with this rather budget system's performance and the car is not all carved up to get some decent sound.

Something to consider.
    Current rides
    86 Capri RS (bone stock)
    86 Mustang GT (with mods)
    83 Crimson Cat
    89 5.0 Notch

Past rides
    80 Cobra
    81 LX
    78 King Cobra
    67 GT390
    85 Capri RS
    85 GT Stang

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by capri debris View Post
    The PO of my '86 Capri cut holes for door speakers and there is just barely enough room for the magnet to fit through.... where it's exposed to water dripping from the dew wipes. If the holes are cut any bigger, it'll compromise the strength of the inner door skin.... so when I put door speakers back in it after I patch the holes the PO cut, I'm going to make new door panels and construct some custom speaker pods that will follow the design of the door panels...that way the speaker magnets won't be inside the door where they can get wet.

You can use these to protect from dirt/moisture if needed too.

http://www.amazon.com/DEI-050330-Boo.../dp/B0058OQ4DA