Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    To take a twin post out and put a different one in, you have to pull the console and remove the lowrer HVAC duct deverter that sits on top of the tranny tunnel (held in by two screws)

You can tell me that all you want but I tried to get mine out for about 1 hour, just to see it come OUT and it will not, no matter what I tried to do, its stuck in there.

Maybe they are different between years? but I wasn't successful at all.
    Last edited by Capriman86; 10-08-2011 at 06:56 AM.

I'm rather enjoying this thread...

It's nice to see that there are ways to put a stock unit in even when your dash hull's been cut by a previous owner. If I'd known that it was fairly simple, I probably wouldn't have bothered to buy another dash hull. Oh well, can't travel back in time - might as well make the best of it.

Lots of good stuff being posted though!
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Jeff: It's much different removing the dual-post ('84 and earlier) radios than trying to get the '85 and '86 radio out. The earlier ones are way easy. The later ones not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Monticus View Post
    I made the mistake of cutting the dash for a radio. NEVER again. Replaced a dash hull so I could have it back the way it was. you can hook up the stock radio, then you can get a FM transmitter that plugs into your cig lighter to plug your IPOD/MP3 into and listen to your music. Don't cut the dash, you'll regret it.
    I made a panel and put a twin-post radio in my cut up dash.
    CLICK THE PICTURE TO SEE HOW
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Jeff: It's much different removing the dual-post ('84 and earlier) radios than trying to get the '85 and '86 radio out. The earlier ones are way easy. The later ones not so much.
    I was talking about that lower duct work that Jason was referring to, I actually put in a twin post din back into my capri but it surely sucked.
    I wanted to try to remove that duct which I tried 3x in that exercise and it wouldn't just "come out". dunno

I don't think I even removed that duct. Then again, my GT does not have AC but it does have the cable-operated floor vents. It's been 20 years since I had removed the stock AM/FM stereo and replaced it with an aftermarket cassette player, but all I remember removing was a short metal brace. Took a few times of trying different angles of wedging the radios out and in to get it done but I did without removing much else.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

That duct is the easiest part...assmuning the console is out. Remove the two screws that point toward the firewall, and it should pull straight down and out via the driver side...with a little twisting in the process.

As for getting a factory radio in out. It JUST fits and requires a little finess and a hand to pull down and out on the lower radio opening bracket.

Going in, orient the radio sideways by the gas pedal with face toward the pass side. Wedge her in as far as you can go where the duct was. The back left corner of the radio will be hitting the side radio opening bracket, needing about 1/2 more inch to get all the way in. That is when you need to pull down an out on the lower bracket, and the radio will go all the way in behind the dash. Once in there is plenty of room to rotate it 90 deg and pull into the opening.

With glove box and fuse panel covers removed, it's very easy to plug in the factory harnesses.

Enjoy...maybe when I put my duct back in I'll do a quick video :-)
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Put louder exhaust and listen to the purr of the V-8, then you dont need a radio..soothing sound,,if you want a change.. peel out and smell the rubber.. I have t-tops and a convertible so I can hear the outside sounds.. dont need a radio
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    83 Project GT T-Top Coupe
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

Neither here nor there

That duct is the easiest part...

Enjoy...maybe when I put my duct back in I'll do a quick video :-)
    ummm no, no it was not!! NO NO NO
    It a no go you no unda stand me? LOL

I just don't know Jason, I am telling ya, if I pulled and twisted it any harder the engine was coming out with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTRAG View Post
    Put louder exhaust and listen to the purr of the V-8, then you dont need a radio..soothing sound,,if you want a change.. peel out and smell the rubber.. I have t-tops and a convertible so I can hear the outside sounds.. dont need a radio
    True!

I rarely listen to mine because it doesn't sound as good as my sweet 302 with
    long tubes, xpipe, and flowmasters. Which for me is what driving this car is all
    about. It no longer is "transportation" in need of tunes.

It is cool to have tunes though for when I'm just hanging in the car without it
    running. Like at a car hop, ice cream stand, or the park.

I've done this on an '82, on an '83 & '84 and on my previous '85. So unless they made a change to the ducts in '86, you are definitly pulling on the wrong part or just missing something if you think the engine will be coming with it

And I do agree about the sound of the exhaust and nature. Very rarely do I listen to the tunes as much more than elevator music. But I do prefer the look of a fatory head unit in my 'Stangs

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post
    ummm no, no it was not!! NO NO NO
    It a no go you no unda stand me? LOL

I just don't know Jason, I am telling ya, if I pulled and twisted it any harder the engine was coming out with it.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

RED 78' , Thanks for the template. I think I'm going too try this instead of a later factory DIN

Quote Originally Posted by RED 78' View Post
    Thats a great how to! Definitely a good idea to put shim between the radio and lower bracket as you did - to take the sag off the radio and relieve the pressure from the dash opening and factory trim plate. Good stuff right there!
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Yeah that is a cool mod / writeup! ^

Quote Originally Posted by Monticus View Post
    I made the mistake of cutting the dash for a radio. NEVER again. Replaced a dash hull so I could have it back the way it was. you can hook up the stock radio, then you can get a FM transmitter that plugs into your cig lighter to plug your IPOD/MP3 into and listen to your music. Don't cut the dash, you'll regret it.
    Dice electronics makes a nice setup for iPods that is completely hidden which plugs directly into the antenna lead so it sounds great unlike many FM modulated setups. The original radio in my RS works great so I'm planning on going this route in mine.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

The radio is currently IN my '83, so yes it should fit as it sits. Look in the pic above of the Nakamichi's, top radio on the page. That is the trim plate or something similar that you would need. Or the stocker...which looks like this:

Here is the Nakamichi in my car, with the stock trim plate (sorry, no close up):

The radio mounts in from the back. You will need 6 of the thin hex nuts...can't send you mine as I will need them for the stock radio to put back in. One set goes on and then pull the radio through. Adjust the back set so the knobs/radio are at the depth you need in the hole. Then put a set on from the front to "clamp" the radio in. Then put on the plastic trim/face plate, and hold in place with the third set of hex nuts. Push on knobs and you are done.

I will say that cutting the dash is not the end of the world....just be CAREFULL as hell and have a good tool to do the job. That Pyle piece above is a nice looking piece. It is possible with steel brackets used in front and behind a DIN opening, to put a twin post radio back in if you ever need to for concours reasons. Here is a stock Kenwood in a 1985 Saleen (with DIN opening)...its a twin post radio. Not trying to encourage you to cut the dash, just showing you (as above) that it can be corrected. Trim plate was fabed from a stock Radio Delete Plate:

I know....more options than you probably thought huh Let me know if you want to try this Nakamichi and I'll get it out this weekend.

Jason,
    Thanks for the pics and assistance
    I looks like the reach on the knobs will work for me
    i'll send you shipping info
    Pete
    'BP 347, Weiand 8124, 1.6rr, 4180, shorty headers, 2:1 3" exhaust, 7.5" 3.73,
    http://s875.photobucket.com/user/pet...?sort=3&page=1

The Pyle radio is the one I tried and would not fit in my 84 due to limited width adjustment of the shafts as well
    the shafts would not reach all the way out anyhow (see pics)

The DIN I have is a factory ford radio (see pic) so I thought it would be ok in the '84 how ever if I can get a radio in the will fit without cutting I'll do it.
    Would you all frown at seeing that 'newer' ford radio in an older mustang?

My listening requirements are not like they would be for a daily driver its mostly about the exhaust / idle etc like stated by a few of us here....

cheers
    Pete
    'BP 347, Weiand 8124, 1.6rr, 4180, shorty headers, 2:1 3" exhaust, 7.5" 3.73,
    http://s875.photobucket.com/user/pet...?sort=3&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by RED 78' View Post
    man that is pretty sweet
    1985 GT with T-tops
    1989 GT vert
    1966 coupe
    1978 KZ1000 LTD
    2007 GMC Z 71
    1986 KX250

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12