Close

Thread: Fuel pump issue

Thumbs down Fuel pump issue

Just went to start my 86 notch and the car wouldn't start. I realized quickly the fuel pump wasn't priming. I just drove it 2 days ago without issue. I can hear the fuel pressure relay under the drivers seat kick on, but no fuel pump. Any suggestions?

i had this happen to one of my cars once...the pump was bad had to replace it

FEP Super Member

if you can't hear the pump it's likely dead hopefully you didn't just fill it up..
    71 Dodge Demon Green/Blk big turbo slant 6 in progress
    83 GT Red/Blk HCI 306/ 3550/ 4.30 8.8
    93 LX Reef Blue/ Grey stock bolts on's/ T5/ 3.55 8.8
    page 1 of my 83 GT build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=85989

93 LX build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...73#post1569973

I replaced the pump last fall actually with a 255lph one because I plan on turbo ing the car next spring. Doesn't mean it isn't possible tho. Just a lot of extra work

could be something else....my pump was like a month old when it died so yes its possible i could turn the key on and hear it hummmm but i wouldnt build up any pressure on the gauge. so i swaped out the pump and she fired right up

Quote Originally Posted by Kpack5982 View Post
    I can hear the fuel pressure relay under the drivers seat kick on, but no fuel pump. Any suggestions?
    Remove the FP relay from its connector. Jumper between YEL and PNK/BLK. Does FP run?
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

Remove the FP relay from its connector. Jumper between YEL and PNK/BLK. Does FP run?
    I'll check that out tonight and see. Thanks

edit: I'm guessing if jumping the wire doesn't work then the relay can be ruled out, but if it starts up, then the relay is bad. Correct?
    Last edited by Kpack5982; 10-05-2011 at 02:46 PM.

I ran tested out all the wiring and the relay and inertia switch both checked out fine and after jumping the fuel pump test point, i got power all the way on the power wire (pink/blk) in the trunk of my car. So I'm guessing the wiring from that point to the pump is bad, or the fuel pump took a dump. Correct?