Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Man you did an excellent job with that car!!! Especially with that paint job!

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by 86Saleener View Post
    I am the one that sold Dan the car, after I bought it, and just let it sit doing nothing but neglect it more. I am just amazed every time I see it, he does incredible work. I had 5 86 Saleens back in 2005, 177 was the roughest, and the plan was to build it into a replica of one of the 1986 Saleen race cars. I guess luckily I never got to it, and it is now all back to original. I still have 85-0015, 86-0102, 86-0156, 86 SSP coupe, and a 86 GT T-top. I have always loved the 86 Saleens since I was lucky enough to drive one all the way through high school. I currently have a 1991 Mustang GT that has been and open track car since new, it will be getting the full 87-89 Saleen race car treatment in the near future.
    I would love to know some additional history of this car. As I said in a previous post, how does a car of this type end up in such bad shape? Especially when the car is a solid rust free car from CA. What else do you know concerning the history?
    85 GT vert

Quote Originally Posted by dlgourn View Post
    Bull-vette,

I have no problem sharing how I custom made the headlight covers. First of all use cardboard cut to fit in your headlights. Just need one piece of cardboard cut out that can be flipped over for both headlights. Then get clear Lexan plastic from Home Depot. I traced with black marker from cardboard on the plastic. Once you do that you MUST put masking tape on the line where black marker is so it wont crack when you cut it. I just used a jig saw and used a bench vise grip to hold the jig saw upside down and leave it running, you just take your time to rotating the plastic to the shape you need. I used the black rubber seal from any spare hatchback deck lid under the rear glass. The seal is hard to put on so I put it in hot water and boiled it for 5 minutes. It turn so soft and very easy to put it on the lens. I made the bracket out of metal and painted it and put some double sided tape to hold the bracket.
    Thanks, Dan. Just so I'm clear, you have the black rubber around the lens to give it a finished look, and to prevent scratching, right? The black rubber you used was from around the back hatchback that holds the window in? Can I just buy that new, or do I need to check a junkyard? I think thats a project I can handle as long as I can come up with that black rubber. Thanks for the help.
    1982 Dominator GT
    *1st Dominator ever sold and
    autographed by Jackie Stewart *
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

Curtis
    I had picked the car up off of a Craigslist ad years ago, and like I said, the intent was always to build a replica of one of the 86 Saleen team cars. Well life and the guy helping me were just always to busy dragging other projects home to get started on this one, and at one point my buddy even talked about buying it for a restoration project for him and his kid. When that never happened, I saw the reality of never getting to it myself, plus I had picked up 86-0102, at that point, it was time to sell and move on. Dan was the absolute right guy for this car, at exactly the right time. The guy that I got it from I think truly loved the car, but the only thing he knew how to do was drive it, so he did. He told me that the rear quarter happened on the freeway one day, and at that point I think he stopped driving it. Since he didn't have the money to fix, he just wanted to sell. He had removed the ground effects and lost 2 of the pieces, and the other two were broken. The day that I picked the car up, I pulled up to his house, and his old enough to know better daughter was in the driveway with a can of white spray paint, painting the passenger door. I told her it looked like it had enough paint on it to me. I think there are a lot of cars out there that could really tell some scary stories if they could talk. I have seen plenty of early Saleen that were way worse off than this one. These cars are a lot like Shelby's people bought them and drove them hard, its just the way it is.

Outstanding Save, Love it!
    Have You Registered your GT?
    www.mustanggt.org

1986 Mustang GT Vert
    1985 Ford LTD SSP
    1977 MGB Vert

I am the one that sold Dan the car, after I bought it, and just let it sit doing nothing but neglect it more. I am just amazed every time I see it, he does incredible work. I had 5 86 Saleens back in 2005, 177 was the roughest, and the plan was to build it into a replica of one of the 1986 Saleen race cars. I guess luckily I never got to it, and it is now all back to original. I still have 85-0015, 86-0102, 86-0156, 86 SSP coupe, and a 86 GT T-top. I have always loved the 86 Saleens since I was lucky enough to drive one all the way through high school. I currently have a 1991 Mustang GT that has been and open track car since new, it will be getting the full 87-89 Saleen race car treatment in the near future.

Welcome to our group. Hope to hear more from you in the future. I love fox Saleens.
    Stan
    1986 Ford Mustang Saleen #80 Gray/gray
    1986 Mercury Capri ASC McLaren Coupe#20 Black/silver, gone.
    1985 GT Silver/gray T-top car, gone
    1985 Canyon Red Turbo coupe, gone

Job well done! That was a labor of love!

David
    82 Tan Mustang Coupe with 5.0 5 speed(For Sale)
    85 Black Saleen Mustang 85-99
    85 ASC McLaren Coupe
    86 ASC McLaren EuroCoupe

Coming Soon: Red 84 1/2 GT Convertible

Thank you again.

86Saleener, thank you for giving me the chance to purchase this Saleen. I love this car and Im going to keep it as long as I can. And welcomed to FEP!

You are correct in all questions you ask. I use black rubber from my one of old hatcback door becasue it was right there to pull it out. I dont know where I can get new one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bull-vette View Post
    Thanks, Dan. Just so I'm clear, you have the black rubber around the lens to give it a finished look, and to prevent scratching, right? The black rubber you used was from around the back hatchback that holds the window in? Can I just buy that new, or do I need to check a junkyard? I think thats a project I can handle as long as I can come up with that black rubber. Thanks for the help.

FEP Power Member

Curtis
    I had picked the car up off of a Craigslist ad years ago, and like I said, the intent was always to build a replica of one of the 86 Saleen team cars. Well life and the guy helping me were just always to busy dragging other projects home to get started on this one, and at one point my buddy even talked about buying it for a restoration project for him and his kid. When that never happened, I saw the reality of never getting to it myself, plus I had picked up 86-0102, at that point, it was time to sell and move on. Dan was the absolute right guy for this car, at exactly the right time. The guy that I got it from I think truly loved the car, but the only thing he knew how to do was drive it, so he did. He told me that the rear quarter happened on the freeway one day, and at that point I think he stopped driving it. Since he didn't have the money to fix, he just wanted to sell. He had removed the ground effects and lost 2 of the pieces, and the other two were broken. The day that I picked the car up, I pulled up to his house, and his old enough to know better daughter was in the driveway with a can of white spray paint, painting the passenger door. I told her it looked like it had enough paint on it to me. I think there are a lot of cars out there that could really tell some scary stories if they could talk. I have seen plenty of early Saleen that were way worse off than this one. These cars are a lot like Shelby's people bought them and drove them hard, its just the way it is.
    Thanks for the additional info. I guess I have followed these cars since their beginning and have always had appreciation for them, it is hard to understand the previous owners neglect. Good thing there are people like you that are either restoring them or getting them in the the hands of others that will.
    85 GT vert

Great Job on the restoration. I cant beleive you did so much so fast.

86Saleener, Thanks for your efforts. How many of these cars have you saved?
    More than a few.
    Mike Foley
    1988 Saleen #583
    1982 Mustang GT (Gone but not forgotten)

FEP Senior Member

The paint and body looks great! Nice save etc etc!!
    1986 Saleen #26 - Saugus Pace Car
    1988 Range Rover Classic - The Shop Truck

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Dan, Great Job! I am really impressed! Thanks for the story and details! Amazing
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

This place look familiar?

This spot where the only 85 Silver Twister II was parked for photograph. This place is only a block away from where my wife work at. I dropped my wife off at her work. I just happened to have camera with me, I decided to stop by and take some pictures.

I wish these 4eye Saleen owners would stop torturing me. lol. Dan, cant say it enough how gorgeous this car is. Great job. You need a pic with all of your 4 eye cars together.
    Stan

Great pictures Dan! Love that backdrop!
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

This pic is simply awesome. Love this SALEEN!!!

'85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Thank you for compliment!

Saleen and Predator/T2 are only two cars that are restored. It will take a while to get all my 4 eyed cars restored and take picture all together.

Quote Originally Posted by madmike View Post
    Great Job on the restoration. I cant beleive you did so much so fast.

86Saleener, Thanks for your efforts. How many of these cars have you saved?
    More than a few.
    I have had 14 Fox body Saleen, I still own
    85-0015
    86-0102
    86-0156
    87-0251
    88-0313
    89-0720
    These are the ones that I have sold
    85-0079
    86-0049
    86-0081
    86-0177
    87-0232
    88-0186
    89-0053
    89-0548

Sorry for the slow reply
    Last edited by 86Saleener; 01-10-2012 at 01:55 AM.

..........drooling............
    ~Bryan

1985 Mustang GT w/ T-Tops, Original Paint, 160,XXX miles
    Mods: 600cfm Carb, Underdrive Pulleys, Subframe Connectors, 4pt G-Load Brace, MM Strut Tower brace, 8.8 rear w/ 3.55 gears & LCA's

Pics from production of "The Saleen Book"
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1027847075

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/select1271.htm

I missed this one the first time around. Great story and the car came out fantastic. Your build time is amazing with kids too. You obviously have a very understanding wife. I'm lucky to get a few hours a week in on mine.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

I never get tired of seeing white 4 eye Saleens.

I love this car and the story.

I had been driving my Saleen almost everyday, it is time for update. I got something real cool for my Saleen, it is the Swanson Ford tag frame where it was new and sold from in Los Gatos, Califorina... Swanson Ford closed few years ago. Im sure that you noticed the 3rd brake red lense is missing in the picture. Im sad, it did fell off while I was driving, it has to be somewhere between Gardner to Olathe. If you find it in a ditch or by the curb, and you return it to me, you will get a reward. LOL

Guess what? My Saleen just met a one of kind Mustang. It is '85 Twister 2... but what make it more cool? This is one of three t top white T2. The guy is very nice and talked with us for a while and let me take some pictures of our cars together, thank you Doug!

Dan, that's extremely cool. I love both of those cars.
    Stan

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast