Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile !!!Turbo!!! LTD LX 1984

10 years of saving + 1.5 years of work = Turbo LTD LX

Short history: Been a Ford/car nut ever since I can remember seeing. Wanted a mustang forever but lack of money, high insurance, and parents stopped me from having one. My first car was a 83 LTD ( fox ) that I got from my cousin for free. It was in bad shape and didnt run, I hated it at first till i rebuilt it in auto class ( I wanted a 78 Bronco with a 351C not a LTD ). Through searching on the web I found Scotts LTD ( now SVT, thanks for answering all those questions man, there was alot ) and learned it can take the V8. I now liked the car alot slapped the V8 in it ( wasnt quiet that simple though ) and began saving so I could beat/keep up with my mustang buddies. Finally the time is here. Here are the pic's will have dyno vid and other vids soon.

97% of the work was done by me alone, With wielding the rear tubes and exhaust as exceptions. I work alone. Just a regular Jo hot rodder myself.

Not the fastest out there either, that wasnt my goal. Just wanted a Turbo in my car forever.

http://s971.photobucket.com/albums/ae200/kermit347/

go here for pics till cardomain site is better
    Last edited by V8LTD; 09-27-2011 at 10:42 AM.

wow that is awesome!
    1984 Mustang Coupe
    302 h/c/i with t-5

thats flat out sick. you need some vids on that car.
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

MERCURYS is what I'm bout. MERCURY CrAzY

FEP Senior Member

Awesome! I love it. Did you leave the e cam in that boss motor? What turbo kit is that? I couldn't read the dyno chart. What were the numbers? I have a boss crate motor that I had a Hellion kit on, but not at the moment. I swapped the cam to the f303. So I am extra curious what you got out of your setup.

A member since 2010 and only 2 post. A late welcome to FEP?

FEP Member

nice work! SLEEPER!!!!!!

That is sweet! the car was formerly owned by a fep member? more info!
    1979 capri, a mess, 86 efi

oooooooo...ahhhhhh. Impressive Awesome LTD.
    I'm sure you save a bunch on doing everything yourself too.
    -Sam
    1982 Mustang GL two hatchbacks, 3.3l and 5.0l
    1983 Capri RS Black Magic Ttop
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert
    1985 Mustang LX SSP CHP 8337
    1985 Mustang LX SSP CHP 8362
    1985 Mustang LX 3.8l 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by mutantcapri1979 View Post
    That is sweet! the car was formerly owned by a fep member? more info!
    I dont think so. Grand ma and grand pa used to drive it around on nice days.. 38K org miles on it.

Quote Originally Posted by joey7508 View Post
    Awesome! I love it. Did you leave the e cam in that boss motor? What turbo kit is that? I couldn't read the dyno chart. What were the numbers? I have a boss crate motor that I had a Hellion kit on, but not at the moment. I swapped the cam to the f303. So I am extra curious what you got out of your setup.
    Yes its a crate BOSS 302 ( 4 bolt main ) with the E cam using a B&G Turbo kit T70 turbo. 638 WHP 673 WTQ at 23 timing and 16 PSI pump gas only.

A member since 2010 and only 2 post. A late welcome to FEP?[/QUOTE]

Sorry i've been busy as you can see LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Kid View Post
    oooooooo...ahhhhhh. Impressive Awesome
    LTD.
    I'm sure you save a bunch on doing everything yourself too.
    Oh yeah a Ton of money

I will have some vids soon a possible

FEP Senior Member OldsRocket442's Avatar

I'm going to show this to my son. Maybe it'll give him some motivation to save his money and try to buy the LTD thats up the road from me.

Awesome build by the way and welcome to FEP.....even though you've been here a year.
    Richard

1986 Mustang LX v8 t5 conversion
    1986 Mustang LX 2.3 Auto - Acquired 2-27-13

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2549044

My other "4 eye" is a '67 Cutlass

FEP Senior Member

638/673 That is beyond wicked. I am only running a 62mm turbonetics turbo. I was running low boost 5-7 pounds on mine. I had it on two engine combos. One made 500hp/560#ft at the wheels on 7 pounds. then I when I swapped over to the boss motor I was trying to only run 5# of boost, but my waste gate is too small to run that low of boost. Its a turbonetics 38mm just doesn't have enough room to vent the extra exhaust. I was out of fuel on the 500 combo because I was running the stock fuel system with 42#injectors. So I thought I would run 5# and stay on the safe side. Didn't want to spend my $ on a bigger waste gate when I could just put that $ towards a fuel system. So the kit is off my car for now. Not much to look at but here it is on the boss crate. By the way when it was being tuned and having waste gate issues it look like it would make about 430-450 with 5#s and the gt40 intake. I had the trickflow street on the earlier combo.

looks badass, upload some pictures here

Quote Originally Posted by OldsRocket442 View Post
    I'm going to show this to my son. Maybe it'll give him some motivation to save his money and try to buy the LTD thats up the road from me.

Awesome build by the way and welcome to FEP.....even though you've been here a year.
    Thanks, the guy I bought my car from bought it for his son ( when grand pa was no more grand ma sold it to this guy ). Lucky for me his son didnt like it, yah for me As long as he likes the idea of sleepers he will like it im sure. Let me know what he thinks... This car may look like a sleeper but wakes the dead with the pedals down... blame that on bullet mufflers and open waste gate... I love every second of it.

638/673 That is beyond wicked. I am only running a 62mm turbonetics turbo. I was running low boost 5-7 pounds on mine. I had it on two engine combos. One made 500hp/560#ft at the wheels on 7 pounds. then I when I swapped over to the boss motor I was trying to only run 5# of boost, but my waste gate is too small to run that low of boost. Its a turbonetics 38mm just doesn't have enough room to vent the extra exhaust. I was out of fuel on the 500 combo because I was running the stock fuel system with 42#injectors. So I thought I would run 5# and stay on the safe side. Didn't want to spend my $ on a bigger waste gate when I could just put that $ towards a fuel system. So the kit is off my car for now. Not much to look at but here it is on the boss crate. By the way when it was being tuned and having waste gate issues it look like it would make about 430-450 with 5#s and the gt40 intake. I had the trickflow street on the earlier combo.
    Wow you have a very efficient setup thats alot of power for such low boost. I only made 404WHP on my first pull at 10psi ( it was a very conservative tune the guy said however ). My turbo is a T70 master power

try this for bigger pics till i have the cardomain site nice nice.

http://s971.photobucket.com/albums/ae200/kermit347/

Wow. That is one sweet LTD!
    ~Shawn

1979 Mercury Capri-5.0/C4
    2010 Cool Vanilla Cream Dodge Charger R/T
    1978 Suzuki GS750E
    1993 Ford Mustang, calypso green, 2.3 auto-sold

Having 30 cars rotting in your yard does NOT make you a collector. If its sinking in the dirt, sell it or grab a wrench.

That is hot stuff! Looks like a really clean car too.
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

Why'd you cut the hood though?

FEP Senior Member

yeah I had it tuned at Murillo Motorsports and even he was surprised at the numbers on low boost. I will tell you my exact combo on that 500/560 tune. i want every one to have a 500hp car. At the time the car had
    New stock short block form ford hyperU pistons and all. Explorer left overs is waht they told me they were. I got it through summit for $1100.00
    I had an f303 cam
    Trick flow Heads (170s)
    Trick flow street intake
    Gold crane roller rockers 1.6
    65mm Throttle body
    42# injectors
    255 fuel pump
    c&hell maf
    digital 6 msd
    hvc 2 blastercoil
    frpp wires
    the down pipe was 3" went to a 30" race muffler (fancy for glass pack) and dumped no tail pipes on the tune.
    zoom 2.5 clutch at the time
    viperspec t56
    8.8 with 3.55 gears
    heat turbo kit. No upgrades 62 mm turbonetics turbo
    7 pound spring showed 6.8 on the chart.
    Mike Murrillo said the limiting factor was my fuel followed by stock block/ bottom end.
    I drove it for a while got it lean and motor started to knock. My fp regulator was bad. So I bought the boss302 carte motor and didn't get to finish that tune and here I am.
    I know that a simple combo like that doesn't seem like it would make that much power with 7# but it did. My plan is to swap the heads and intake on my boss motor over to TF heads and TF intake and have the same combo with a better bottom end. See if it makes the same power as my old combo.

Quote Originally Posted by LTDScott View Post
    Why'd you cut the hood though?

I had to, the fuel rails hit the intake manifold so I had to put a 3/8 spacer on the upper intake. So now I couldnt close the hood, went to a fab shop and they wanted $1400 to make me a custom hood. No way was I gonna pay that. Mean while I really wanted to drive the car. So I took a die grinder to an extra hood I have. Ive seen other do this in a mag before.. that where i got the idea from. Now that I know where it hits I will get a scoop for it one of these days.

I know I could lower the motor with different mounts but that would of just made things more complicated and expensive.

Do the 84 mustang hoods fit on this car?
    Last edited by V8LTD; 09-27-2011 at 11:53 PM.

yeah I had it tuned at Murillo Motorsports and even he was surprised at the numbers on low boost. I will tell you my exact combo on that 500/560 tune. i want every one to have a 500hp car. At the time the car had
    New stock short block form ford hyperU pistons and all. Explorer left overs is waht they told me they were. I got it through summit for $1100.00
    I had an f303 cam
    Trick flow Heads (170s)
    Trick flow street intake
    Gold crane roller rockers 1.6
    65mm Throttle body
    42# injectors
    255 fuel pump
    c&hell maf
    digital 6 msd
    hvc 2 blastercoil
    frpp wires
    the down pipe was 3" went to a 30" race muffler (fancy for glass pack) and dumped no tail pipes on the tune.
    zoom 2.5 clutch at the time
    viperspec t56
    8.8 with 3.55 gears
    heat turbo kit. No upgrades 62 mm turbonetics turbo
    7 pound spring showed 6.8 on the chart.
    Mike Murrillo said the limiting factor was my fuel followed by stock block/ bottom end.
    I drove it for a while got it lean and motor started to knock. My fp regulator was bad. So I bought the boss302 carte motor and didn't get to finish that tune and here I am.
    I know that a simple combo like that doesn't seem like it would make that much power with 7# but it did. My plan is to swap the heads and intake on my boss motor over to TF heads and TF intake and have the same combo with a better bottom end. See if it makes the same power as my old combo.
    wow that is amazing that much HP on a 255 pump and 7 psi. So now with the Boss crate all you need to do is turn that boost controller up and get in the 600'swhp. Ford racing tech said high 600's to low 700's whp max limited by the rods. Any infor on the reliability of these crate motors?

Now a days if you arent making 1000whp on pump gas you aint got nothing, so it seems. I Went from 190ish WHP in my 83 V8 swapped LTD to over 600WHP ( my goal was 550whp but I got greedy and all of a sudden 600 looked so much better LOL ). At one time 800whp was my end goal, I just like d that number. But after seeing gas consumption of my current setup I dont think I need more power. Its funny ( well not really ) but I saved all this time to build my dream machine, now I cant afford to drive it...

I dont have a capture card so I think i will just play the dyno vid on the tv and record it with the digital cam so I could post it..

FEP Senior Member

I called the ford racing tech as well. He told me the same thing about the rods. If you look them up by part number they say 500 continuous horse power. The tech assured me that it would make it to the 700 mark no problem. I don't know about the reliability of the crate motors. You are the first person that I have had a chance to talk to that bought the same crate and put a turbo on it. We are probably the guinea pigs. My thought was mine would live forever at 5-7 pounds, but this next go around I will turn it up and see what happens.

No Mustang body parts will fit on this car.

I called the ford racing tech as well. He told me the same thing about the rods. If you look them up by part number they say 500 continuous horse power. The tech assured me that it would make it to the 700 mark no problem. I don't know about the reliability of the crate motors. You are the first person that I have had a chance to talk to that bought the same crate and put a turbo on it. We are probably the guinea pigs. My thought was mine would live forever at 5-7 pounds, but this next go around I will turn it up and see what happens.
    The guys on corral said the Boss crate is junk I hope they are wrong for my sake.

Quote Originally Posted by LTDScott View Post
    No Mustang body parts will fit on this car.
    well that sucks

FEP Senior Member

Alot of guys don't like the boss block, because the cylinders are short for strokers. Then again ford offers them stroked so??? I was a little disappointed in their choice for rods on our motors. We'll find out how well they hold up. If something does go wrong I just hope my block makes it out in one piece. I think if I was going to do it again I would have started from scratch with a dart block, but I like my engine just fine so far.

FEP Power Member horsepowerjunkie's Avatar

I would be a little nervous about those rods at that power level. The first thing I did when I got my boss block was to throw away those cheezy looking main bolts, and got some ARP main studs!
    11 GT Black, A6,Steeda CAI, SCT X4, Circle D 4C
    89LX Blk Hatch,363 Dart,C4,T76BB,FAST EFI
    86 Black GT, 331 Dart, S-trim aftercooled, 4R70W
    82 Carpi RS, 306, T5, 8.8 4.10's.
    72 Demon 340 4-speed(one of 1667)
    73 Dart Sport 340, 410ci, Indy 230cnc+, bracket brawler
    01 Ram Quad Cab, 5.9L car hauler
    02 Grizzley 660
    03 Honda VTX 1800

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast