Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by joey7508 View Post
    Alot of guys don't like the boss block, because the cylinders are short for strokers. Then again ford offers them stroked so??? I was a little disappointed in their choice for rods on our motors. We'll find out how well they hold up. If something does go wrong I just hope my block makes it out in one piece. I think if I was going to do it again I would have started from scratch with a dart block, but I like my engine just fine so far.
    My 1st choice was a Iron Eagle dart 331, But the CHP crate one was $8800 before shipping and to have the local shop make one for me was $9000 before heads, intake, TB, Valve covers, and other misc parts which would of added another 3 - 4K more ( saved for 10 years not 20 ). I almost bought the CHP crate but I read alot of bad things about it so I started looking at the Boss crate. I really didnt find anything out there about it. I called Ford racing tech told them I want to put 600+ whp in this motor they said it will take it. After that it was a easy decision, I got the Boss crate shipped for $5995 to my door. My motor is #13... my lucky number I WILL HAVE GOOD LUCK WITH IT!

Quote Originally Posted by horsepowerjunkie View Post
    I would be a little nervous about those rods at that power level. The first thing I did when I got my boss block was to throw away those cheezy looking main bolts, and got some ARP main studs!
    So you have a Boss block... How is it going for you? With the whole piston skirt thing and all?

FEP Power Member horsepowerjunkie's Avatar

So you have a Boss block... How is it going for you? With the whole piston skirt thing and all?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I boght mine when Ford was offering it as a short block kit with Eagle 4340 3.00" crank, Eagle SIR rods, & Mahle flat tops for a 302 cu in. I sold the crank, rods, & pistons and bought a SCAT 4340 3.25" stroke crank, SCAT4340 H-beams w/ARP 2000 bolts, & Probe 20cc dish pistons for a low compression 331 stroker. After reading about the shorter skirts I decided to go 331 instead of 347. I ended up only having $1100 into a new BOSS block plus machining of course. I am also going turbo with a HP Performace kit(roswell NM) and a Turbonetics 76mm BB turbo. I've been buying/gathering parts for the past 5-6 years and hope to have it all screwed togather by next summer!

Very nice build, by the way! I like it when they are clean and neat when finished!
    11 GT Black, A6,Steeda CAI, SCT X4, Circle D 4C
    89LX Blk Hatch,363 Dart,C4,T76BB,FAST EFI
    86 Black GT, 331 Dart, S-trim aftercooled, 4R70W
    82 Carpi RS, 306, T5, 8.8 4.10's.
    72 Demon 340 4-speed(one of 1667)
    73 Dart Sport 340, 410ci, Indy 230cnc+, bracket brawler
    01 Ram Quad Cab, 5.9L car hauler
    02 Grizzley 660
    03 Honda VTX 1800

Quote Originally Posted by horsepowerjunkie View Post
    So you have a Boss block... How is it going for you? With the whole piston skirt thing and all?
    Yes, I boght mine when Ford was offering it as a short block kit with Eagle 4340 3.00" crank, Eagle SIR rods, & Mahle flat tops for a 302 cu in. I sold the crank, rods, & pistons and bought a SCAT 4340 3.25" stroke crank, SCAT4340 H-beams w/ARP 2000 bolts, & Probe 20cc dish pistons for a low compression 331 stroker. After reading about the shorter skirts I decided to go 331 instead of 347. I ended up only having $1100 into a new BOSS block plus machining of course. I am also going turbo with a HP Performace kit(roswell NM) and a Turbonetics 76mm BB turbo. I've been buying/gathering parts for the past 5-6 years and hope to have it all screwed togather by next summer!

Very nice build, by the way! I like it when they are clean and neat when finished![/QUOTE]

Very nice setup you got there should make some really good power. Do you have any of those skirt issues? I just want to know that its fixable. As long as I can fix it when it becomes a problem I dont care, and will sleep good at night.

Thank you and everyone too for all the complements. I have waited and worked very hard on this car. I am a perfectionist everything has to be just the way I want. The car is finished but it isnt, you know what i mean. I got very lucky finding this car it is in great condition. This car will always be in a garage dont expect it to be on ebay... ever. Ill live in the car first before i sell it.

Just a small update... Found out that the 302 Boss Crate didnt have the shirt issues... The 347 and 368 do. So as long as my rods and pistons hang in there im good. I plan to give it hell to find out. Now I will be able to sleep at night finally.
    Last edited by V8LTD; 10-02-2011 at 12:02 AM.

FEP Senior Member

correct, the 302 and 331 have no issues. I wouldn't worry too much either way. You would think if it was a real problem ford would stop stroking them for their crate engines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12