Close

Thread: Opinions needed

Default Opinions needed

So I am at the point with my '84 of either selling it or really starting to upgrade the performance big time. I am not sure if I would call it a "rare" car but it is an '84 LX Vert 5 speed with the H.O. motor.

My idea for upgrading are changing out the 7.5 rear for a beefed up geared 8.8(staying 4 lug) and possibly doing an engine swap or upgrading the original motor.

The opinions I am looking for are if changing up the rear and doing an engine swap could negatively affect the value down the road. Pics attached of the carName:  stang.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  75.6 KBName:  stang1.jpg
Size:  80.7 KBName:  stang3.jpg
Size:  103.7 KB

First and foremost, I am not a stock/OEM kind of car owner. All of my vehicles are modified in some manner or another. Very few vehicles excite me when they are just like everyone else's or when it comes to older vehicles being bone stock. With all of that said, I would tell you to make it what you like and want or sell it and buy what you like/want.

In regards to value, that depends on the modifications and how well they are done and how they are received by potential buyers down the road. If the mods are what others like and want, then there probably no depreciation in value and possible an increase in resale value.

It appears that your vert is not all original or stock at this point in time. Nothing too major from the pictures, that couldn't be reverted back to stock if you or a potential buyer wanted to. Upgrading to the 8.8 and increasing HP will not hurt the value of the vehicle in my humble opinion. Unfortunately convertibles don't seem to bring the same prices as coupes and hatchbacks of the same year and equipment, so again I don't think you will hurt your resale value down the road. Make the ride what you want and then drive the heck out of it and don't worry about what others may or may not think.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Supporter

I'm with Trey here. That's a nice looking 'vert you have! I'd season it to taste and enjoy the heck out of it. It sits great now, the wheels look fantastic on there and it looks straight from here too! I'm sure it gets plenty of thumbs up!
    '85 GT

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Hey man, first-off Welcome! This is one of the greatest sites you'll find for Fox Fords. About Resale Value; Fox Mustangs (Third Gen) seem to face the exact opposite of what Classic (First Gen) Mustangs face, and that is, Convertibles are the top of the automotive food chain, while Fox Covertibles (Third Gen) are the bottom of the automotive food chain. I had a blast with my '91GT 5.0 convertible several years back, but grew tired of them after awhile, especially when the rear window was torn out during either vandalism or an attempted theft. It was California, so anything's possible! If you check Craigslist, or any of the other sites, you'll find a glut of '83-'93 Mustang convertibles, they sometimes outnumber Hatchbacks 10:1. Anyway mod it the way you want, but if you want to resell it down the road do what they call "Sneaky Concours" meaning you hide any and all mods; install and paint the aluminum heads, install deeper rear gears etc. Big ole mailbox on the hood will make it more difficult to sell. Originality is what most buyers want. Good Luck to you
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 02-15-2022 at 09:04 PM. Reason: added text

Great looking car! My thoughts would be to swap the rear end to an 8.8 but change the gear as well. If you have the stock gear in the 7.5 rear, consider perhaps a 3.73 or some like the 3.55, depending on how you intend to use the car. For the engine, pull the '84 engine and put it on a stand. IMHO, I would find an '89 to '92 roller block engine and build on that. Don't pull the current engine out until you are ready for the swap. Keep the 7.5 rear axle and the '84 engine and store them if you think a future buyer would want them. Another suggestion might be to put sub frame connectors on your car if it doesn't already have them (I see the cross brace under the front). Remember that if you want to upgrade the performance "big time" IMHO you may need the suspension, suspension mounting points and the brakes upgraded as well. Good luck with the project.
    Rob

Agree with most of the above.
    Personally, would not buy any car with extensive mods or even mild aftermarket generic looking engine stuff.
    I use cars as daily drivers with max reliability, ease of service DIY or by shop, replacement parts.
    If value down the road is a factor, leave car as is.
    Minor reversible mods can work. Saved oem parts can be a selling point due to fact of hard to find match.
    Best things i have done over the years is subframe connectors, Hurst/Core SST shifter with longer lever.
    The stock T-5 shifter was too short/low and rubbery. Really no fun and was boring to shift.
    Honestly, now i like to take the car out just to shift it. The solid feel makes trans seem more hd tight like.
    The sfcs make the car feel more solid and connected to the road by firming up the overall ride and handling a bit.
    A one level up cam change is always fun but is a lot of work and can change mpg, driveability negatively if not right.
    More rear gear or torque-y cam is popular. New paint or interior pieces ok.
    Car really wont ever run or drive like newer cars do just like 60's cars and others have their unique ways which made them special.
    80's era best left that way if happy with that. Keeping it factory is very hard to do.
    Brother kept modding his long time owned 70 SS 396 Chevelle all the way down to the low 10's.
    Know what? He is going back to the stock car he misses cruising the street with and not having to always fix something and spending big bucks.
    Even adding chrome items changes looks because chrome reflects background colors like a mirror.
    Park next to a pink car and you have pink rims....many cars in shows have chrome everything under the hood. Hodgepodge of colors.
    The aftermarket look. Nothing matches. Looks more show than go. Its the plain stock or mild mod theme to watch out for.
    Retro mod is ok if that is what one likes but most look plain silly ruining the cars intended look and purpose.
    Stuff like drum to disk brakes is ok upgrade due to added safety and durability.
    Towering blowers sticking up out of hoods are ok but look more like self made car 'trophy' displays than anything else.
    True test is to not have the car for a few years and see if you miss it. Most do if its a good one.
    Last edited by gr79; 02-15-2022 at 05:00 PM.