Close



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 44 of 44
  1. #26
    FEP Super Member PaceFever79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    9,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KCoker View Post
    It was 465 hp with a 5 speed with a IRS designed by the svo group, this agian is from David LaRoques book on svo's.
    Sweet vindication for those who think a V8 powered SVO is cool

  2. #27
    FEP Supporter

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Decatur Alabama
    Posts
    1,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plumkrazy View Post
    Very Neat info, I wish we had more info on the 1985 Capri Pace Cars.

    Kendal have you any info or pictures on Detroit Grand Prix mustang pace Car(s) 1987-1993 I have a picture of one on Woodward no info.

    Mark
    The only thing I have is svo stuff.
    Kendal

  3. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KCoker View Post
    According to David LaRoques svo book there were 8, of the 8 one was totaled one had the decals removed and the other six were auctioned off to dealers.

    The car used in all the events leading up to the race and was scheduled to pace the race overheated prior to the race and ended up using Dave Domaines personal svo to pace the race and that is the one pictured. Blane Moon owned it for a long time and now Gerry Aires owns it. Dave Domain was one of the main engineers on the svo program.
    Ok, so if understand all the posts: The original PPG SVO was the white car with blue faded paint, 1 of 8 made. It overheated prior to the NJ Meadowlands race. Instead an Ford SVO engineer used his personal SVO the Green w tan interior car with a Chevy 396 with 465 HP and a single exhaust. This doesn't make any sense at all. What did I misunderstand?

  4. #29
    FEP Super Member PaceFever79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    9,618

    Default

    Maybe it's a stroked 351w? (just guessing)

  5. #30
    FEP Supporter

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Decatur Alabama
    Posts
    1,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richstang View Post
    Ok, so if understand all the posts: The original PPG SVO was the white car with blue faded paint, 1 of 8 made. It overheated prior to the NJ Meadowlands race. Instead an Ford SVO engineer used his personal SVO the Green w tan interior car with a Chevy 396 with 465 HP and a single exhaust. This doesn't make any sense at all. What did I misunderstand?
    That was the Detroit GP Pace car story not the ppg story. I was answering a question on the 1984 Detroit Grand Prix svo pace car.
    Kendal

  6. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KCoker View Post
    It was 465 hp with a 5 speed with a IRS designed by the svo group, this agian is from David LaRoques book on svo's.

    The funny looking blue one was powered by a twin blown 4.2 v6.

    So the 1 of 8 is the Charcoal Grey SVO from the Detroit GP III race and the overheating part is from that story.


    The 465 HP, 5spd / IRS part is from the PPG SVO, right?
    It was a reply to the "before it was green it was red / was a 396."
    Still seems odd that a Ford SVO developed car had 396 motor with single exhaust. Is there any other part of this story from the SVO book?

  7. #32
    FEP Supporter

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Decatur Alabama
    Posts
    1,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richstang View Post
    So the 1 of 8 is the Charcoal Grey SVO from the Detroit GP III race and the overheating part is from that story.


    The 465 HP, 5spd / IRS part is from the PPG SVO, right?
    It was a reply to the "before it was green it was red / was a 396."
    Still seems odd that a Ford SVO developed car had 396 motor with single exhaust. Is there any other part of this story from the SVO book?
    My book shows pics of the red and green but does not say thay are the same car. It also says the motor size is 395 cid. It could be the same car, both pics have tan interior but the red one has svo side moulding and the green one has gt moulding on the side. Red one does not have the flush headlights.
    Last edited by KCoker; 09-04-2011 at 08:27 PM.
    Kendal

  8. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KCoker View Post
    My book shows pics of the red and green but does not say thay are the same car. It also says the motor size is 395 cid. It could be the same car, both pics have tan interior but the red one has svo side moulding and the green one has gt moulding on the side. Red one does not have the flush headlights.
    Thanks for sharing the book info. It sill leaves a lot of questions but at least a 395 cid could mean a bored 351. I feel better about that as a possibilty than a 396. The single exhaust is still odd with 465 HP. Thats seems like a stretch for the early 90's but if it was a SVO development car......


    I have a front view picture for all the PPG cars there that day. The yellow Pontiac is a GP with custom paint. There's was also a Pearl white/pink Cadillac Allante', lavender Nissan 300Zx vert, red heavily custom Ferrari Modial, an aweful lime/pink Dodge Stealth, and a candy blue c4 vette. (I'd like to see a better picture of the vette).

  9. #34

    Default PPG Pace Cars / INDY Car World Series

    Quote Originally Posted by richstang View Post
    Thanks for sharing the book info. It sill leaves a lot of questions but at least a 395 cid could mean a bored 351. I feel better about that as a possibilty than a 396. The single exhaust is still odd with 465 HP. Thats seems like a stretch for the early 90's but if it was a SVO development car......


    I have a front view picture for all the PPG cars there that day. The yellow Pontiac is a GP with custom paint. There's was also a Pearl white/pink Cadillac Allante', lavender Nissan 300Zx vert, red heavily custom Ferrari Modial, an aweful lime/pink Dodge Stealth, and a candy blue c4 vette. (I'd like to see a better picture of the vette).
    -The original white car with blue enhancement, was a PPG FORD MUSTANG. This car was a pearlescent white Mustang fabricated in Romulus, MI. This car was powered by a 395 cid.

    -The PPG Pace Car Indy Series / FORD MUSTANG SVO started out as Red. It is not the same car as noted above. This PPG car was specified by PPG Vice President Fred Rhue. He wanted the brightest red available. " Fred Red " was selected. This car had a 396 cid.
    `82 Capri 5.0 4.speed / not RS
    `86 Mustang GT Convertible

  10. #35

    Default

    When they repainted the Mustang SVO " Green ". I have enclosed a board for your viewing.
    `82 Capri 5.0 4.speed / not RS
    `86 Mustang GT Convertible

  11. #36

    Default

    Turbosvo86;
    Thanks for posting up the PPG sign (green paint era) and clearing up any confusion on this car.


    Now if only there were a picture of that engine bay to see what's going on in there.

  12. #37
    redlordamazon
    Guest

    Default

    Here is my picture of the front. I distinctly remember my friend talking of a 390 and the cars V8 rumble. I will contact him and get what info he remembers of the car. I am thinking that it could possibly be a regullar mustang with SVO parts or who knows what it really is. It looks to have a dark gray dash 83-84 mustang moldings a 86 spoiler etc.
    Well anyhow here is the picture.

  13. #38
    redlordamazon
    Guest

    Default

    Oh and look at the mirrors. This car looks like a mixture of different cars.

  14. #39

    Default

    just a thought and i don't think any body notice but it could be a true svo because its five lug. just a thought still might be a regular fox with a five lug conversion but how knows
    Jordan

    current:
    82' Mustang GL 10.21@71 MPH 1/8 mile
    2007 Ford F150 Supercrew (DD)
    1969 ford bronco half cab (Off Road Project)
    Past:
    00' focus
    85' mustang LX
    79' F-250

  15. #40
    redlordamazon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FOXYLADY82 View Post
    just a thought and i don't think any body notice but it could be a true svo because its five lug. just a thought still might be a regular fox with a five lug conversion but how knows
    I noticed tthat as well. I have had these pictures since July of 1991.

    Another thing is the wheels are they Rikens or Lincoln LSC ETC.

    I think this car could be picked apart for a while.

  16. #41

    Default

    Thanks for posting your second picture Redlordamazon,

    The front view clearly shows a standard front bumper, no special vent. My front view must have some odd reflection or something else. I can see that chrome air cleaner you mentioned also. Maybe I'm crazy, but I want to say I remember it driving past me in the parade laps and it had a very deep sounding exhaust note. I thought it was bad azz.

    I'd bet they are Lincoln LSC rims, good call. Where are those mirrors from? Any Fords of the era look like that? The 3/4 rear view you posted shows the darker colored dash. Charcoal would be possible.

    I'm with redlord..I think it was an 83-84 GT with all the SVO & Ford performance goodies added.

    Thanks to everyone for your input.

  17. #42

    Default

    I just found a picture of this PPG SVO in red. Just need to scan and post. stay tuned.....

  18. #43

    Default

    This red version looks identical to the green car posted previously;
    flush headlights, tan interior, wheel flares, unique side view mirrors, LSC rims, etc.

    (I have a much larger picture but had to reduce size to fit in my photo album here) (The Daytona next to it is the same car recently posted here for for for a riduculous amount of $$$)

    I'm still looking for an engine picture...

    Last edited by richstang; 10-08-2012 at 10:37 AM.

  19. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richstang View Post
    This red version looks identical to the green car posted previously;
    flush headlights, tan interior, wheel flares, unique side view mirrors, LSC rims, etc.

    (I have a much larger picture but had to reduce size to fit in my photo album here) (The Daytona next to it is the same car recently posted here for for for a riduculous amount of $$$)

    I'm still looking for an engine picture...

    Would anyone know if this was actually red first then later painted green?

    Sorry, re-read the thread and it was mentioned it was red first. so now I'm just curious when / where it was a pace car in red.
    Last edited by richstang; 10-08-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •