Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Capri Calamity

Default Capri Calamity

So, my brother got into an accident with the Capri and took a good whack to the front passenger side. It's fixable, doesn't make sense to get another chassis cost wise so it will get a complete makeover in the process.
    I'll let the pictures do the talking.

I am NOT letting a Capri go to waste. Especially after all the work I put into it.
    Some dude hit the brakes, turned on his flasher and came to a stop and my bro rear ended him.

The plan is to repair the damage, braking upgrade, paint and detail the engine bay, EFI conversion, 93 Cobra side skirts and rear bumper cover, and paint it satin pearl white with satin black lower half. Then refinish the interior.
    1986 GT T-Top 5.0, waiting on trans and IRS swap.
    1988 GT Ragtop, 5.0, T5, 3.73, 03 Cobras with Nittos
    1989 LX Ragtop, 5.0, AOD, shift kit, Pony wheels, baby cam, X pipe and Flowbasterds.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Damn that SUX!

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

At least its fixable. And he is ok. Bigger brakes are a must on our cars, which is why I am running Cobra brakes on mine. The stock 10 inchers suck!

Justin
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.

Ouch.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

The car still looks killer! From the driver side at least!

Sorry to hear about this. At least your brothers alright. Definitely fixable damage.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks guys! Yeah, thank God my bro is OK. He sent me a text message yesterday saying "Even the lunch specials are making fun of me. 'Linguini Capri'" hahaha. At least he can have a sense of humour about it. The car is going to be better than it's ever been when it comes back!!
    1989 LX Ragtop, 5.0, AOD, shift kit, Pony wheels, baby cam, X pipe and Flowbasterds.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Quote Originally Posted by lk4life6969 View Post
    At least its fixable. And he is ok. Bigger brakes are a must on our cars, which is why I am running Cobra brakes on mine. The stock 10 inchers suck!

Justin
    Along with this we should also be extra vigilant when driving. We need to pay extra attention when driving our 4eyes, since most people are oblivious behind the wheel

Sorry to see the damage to your Capri, lucky no one was injured, hope the re-build turns out great.
    After 2 rear-end accidents, I concluded that I follow too closely behind other cars. I now give a lot more room, I don't care if other drivers move in front of me, it's not worth another accident. It's been a difficult adjustment, I've always been kind of an aggressive driver.

Glad to hear you're gonna fix it. Superficial damage. These accidents are why one has to stay a safe distance from the car up front. You never know what they're gonna do.
    '88 T-Bird Sport Twisted Wedge heads,3G,,Trick Flow R intake,Scorpion rockers,Ed Curtis cam,BBK headers,Mass Air with 24's,X-Pipe, Flomaster mufflers,75mm t-body,T-5, MGW shifter,Mach 1 chin spoiler,Bullitt gas lid,deep Cobra R wheels,Taurus fan,3.73 gears,140mph speedo,CHE control arms, custom Hood with ''72 Torino scoop, custom trunk lid with integrated spoiler

that sucks but at least it is fixable.... Good luck
    1982 TTOP GT-under construction
    1983 Mustang T-top Dominator- black/Black
    85 Gt vert . canyon red/red- Rust heaven
    1982 T-top- Yellow/black
    1984 Turbo GT- Grey/grey

I HATE MUSTANGS !!-
    THE BOSS IS BACK

I'm sorry to hear about this ---- but, as the others have said, it's fixable ---- AND it's good that your brother is okay.

Thanks guys. Here are a few more pics, sorry for the quality.

It seems the front air dam is salvageable, so I'm going to find a used front bumper cover, fender and hood. The only rad supports that are available new, it seems, are for 83-89 and 90-93. I am quite certain the changes are minimal and we should be able to get the 83-89 unit to work. Does anyone have any experience with the rad support replacement on a 79-82 car??

The battery almost survived, it was pierced so all the acid leaked out. The radiator is still holding fluid and hasn't been compromised, the frame rail is pushed down a touch ahead of the shock tower. Going to take the front clip off this weekend and start straightening it out. Shouldn't be too hard to get it back to normal thankfully.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

That sucks man, glad you are going to fix it.
    79 Capri RS
    341 rwhp,348 rwtq 11.20@127

1939 Pontiac Deluxe 6. 73,xxx original miles. Barn find. Currently the secomd owner.

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

I think I just realized what the difference is. On the 79-82 cars, the hood prop rod is integrated into the rad support whereas on the 83+ cars the prop rod base bolts in at one end and snaps in at the other. I prefer that setup anyway, or maybe we'll just get hood struts....
    1984 SVO needs TLC

I believe you are correct on the hood prop rod difference in the radiator supports. IIRC one of the other differences is the front hood bumpers. They are metal inserts on the 79-82 and the 83-93 use plastic. I believe the square opening is slightly different sized. Use the 83-93 hood bumpers and inserts and you should be fine. I believe there might be a slight difference in the lower section of the radiator support where on the Capri the plastic filler piece bolts to the lower air dam and then back to the radiator support. I think at worse the holes might be off just a bit, otherwise you can make it work.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Random departure:

I wonder? Both the Beater and the GoFast have been hit in that corner. What is it about the RF corner of a Fox Chassis to attracts that kind of bad attention?

Return to regular programming:
    -Bill
    "Beater" ('82 Capri No Eng/NoTrans)
    Wife's Project Car ('83 Vert Stang GLX No Eng/NoTrans)
    "Cinco" ('88 Hatch Stang LX 5.0L/Manual)
    "Bertha" ('92 Hatch Stang LX 2.3L/Manual)
    '13 Ford Flex Platinum (Hers)
    Husband & father of 3 girls

Well, I got the bumper cover and fender off today. Damage isn't really too bad, I'll post up some pics when I get home. Some good news, the lower valence is still in good overall shape, and the fender extensions are salvageable as well. Both need a little work with some fiberglass but it'll only take me a couple of hours to get them looking right.
    Someone mentioned that it's possible to mod a regular bumper cover to fit the RS lower valence??? Maybe this way I can also avoid the body side moulding swap to the 85-86 style.......
    1984 SVO needs TLC

You can cut the lower section off a regular bumper cover and it will work. It basically just hangs over the lower spoiler. The are a couple of other options. One is some strategically placed double sided tape to help hold down the upper cover. The other option is to either make brackets that resemble the factory bumper cover section that connects the upper cover to the front bumper and ties the upper and lower together or cut those pieces off your damaged bumper cover and use urethane strutural adhesive to attach them to the new non RS bumper cover. Just make sure to cut the pieces over size to all for fitting to the new bumper. Years ago, I help a buddy do a similiar repair to a Capri RS and then later his Pace Car. (He always had cool cars, but couldn't stop driving while intoxicated, so wrecked every one of them! )

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

As promised, more pics...

1984 SVO needs TLC

FEP Power Member 82 fairmont guy's Avatar

good luck fixing it. whats the deal with the 348 challenge car and the 458 sitting in the background
    Mike aka "MOOSE"
    81 zephyr / ltd clip/ mustang s/c 5.0 (1 of 1)
    86 Lx 5.0 7B Coupe (1 of 254) Shadow Blue now at the body shop....
    86 GT vert 9l 5spd White/extremely dark grey two tone it's my avatar
    1989 Ranger extra cab 2wd 2.3 5spd
    2003 triple black GT VERT

GOD BLESS OUR MEN AND WOMEN WHO SERVE OUR COUNTRY......PAST AND PRESENT

It's a 355 Challenge and a 550 Maranello, all the high end cars in those pics belong to my employer. I'm tasked with turning this shop from his own personal playground into an actual hot rod/muscle car shop....... He races the F355, but it needs a timing belt so I'm tearing into the motor this winter and Extrude Hone porting everything, adding compression, custom cams and then we race it next year. He also races a Porsche 944 Turbo and a Viper Competition Coupe.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Neither here nor there

Sucks and good luck with the repair.
    This is your chance to get the correct matching front now I guess....
    The 85/6 nose rub strip difference would bug me, don't know if it did that with you guys.

Keep the camera rolling!

Nah, I actually liked the idea that we could throw people off with the complete 85-86 rub strip all the way around. Most people wouldn't even notice, but it woulda made a lot of Mustang/Capri nuts look twice! Besides, I find it to be a more attractive design than the simple 79-84 style.... Kinda like an '86 Capri RS without a bubble back!
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Well, some good news. My brother wound up getting a better job that pays quite a bit more than he was making. I'm putting together a nice list, maybe $4k in parts to improve the car. Right now, it needs the complete interior redone, body repairs and paint, and upgrade the brakes and suspension. Body and paint is a separate budget.

I'm thinking SN95 front brakes with PBR calipers, 3.55 Fox length 5 lug rear end + SN95 discs (have it, needs NRC brackets), Mac upper and lower control arms (have em), Fays2 or Griggs Watts Link, tubular K member, quality springs and shocks (not sure if I should go coil over), STB, upgraded bushings all around and some 16" Crown Vic mesh wheels with 245-50-16s all around. I will probably have the wheels widened to 8.5 and 9" for the rear.
    The engine is getting the EFI conversion, I think the Systemax 1 will work very well on there. I'll probably also get a Tmoss gutted upper to keep the engine looking stock. Should work well with the stock cam, 10:1 and Windsor Jrs. It will eventually get a stand alone. The T5 is getting a rebuild and I'll get an Aerostar driveshaft.
    For the interior, I'm not sure what exactly to do but it's definitely getting some seating upgrades and an integrated computer entertainment system.
    Any thoughts, ideas? Brand recommendations? Keep in mind I have a budget to work with!
    Last edited by Syco Stang; 09-14-2011 at 10:33 PM.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention. Found damn near all the parts semi locally, and I happen to be going there next weekend with the dually to pick up a motor. Plenty of space for the parts I need, so I'll be picking up everything I can. Found a front cover, steel bumper, hood and fender for under $200.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast