Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Capri Calamity

86 50CPRI

wow...glad the bro is OK through it all.Sorry to hear, but it sounds as if you've got some great plans for the rehab. Eager to see the progress!

FEP Senior Member At1Maverick69's Avatar

Waiting for update here, Shahyad.... poor car, but glad you and ur bro is whipping it back into shape, I miss that car
    *John*
    1982 GT-$old
    1984 Mercury Capri RS-5.0L, 5 speed, T-Tops-FOR SALE
    1979 Coupe-357ci, auto? stick? COMING SOON
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/At1Maverick

nice body shop your working in

Quote Originally Posted by Syco Stang View Post
    As promised, more pics...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    was in 3rd gear, right foot to the floor and Cones where flying!

1)who cares if you don't like my functional illiterate

2)if i write like a 2nd grader, isn't that still better than texting?

3)yes ,i'm a French-fry short of a happy meal.

4)Statistically speaking, six out of seven dwarfs aren't Happy

looks like it will be taking care of proper

So, the Capri is finally back in my hands. I moved recently and have more space to store my cars and work. The body shop wound up only replacing the upper part of the rad support I bougth from American Muscle because it was so flimsy, they saved the original where they could. They also installed a blank inner fender apron which I will cut a hole into for a cold air pipe. I will eventually install the blank apron on the DS as well.

In the last couple of pics the front nose and lower valence are just sitting in place being test fitted. Apparently the old man at the body shop tried but couldn't install the nose, he told me something wouldn't fit.... Seems fine to me, though while test fitting I noticed the header panel on the RS nose is broken so I will have to replace that with a spare I happen to have.
    Then, finish up the EFI swap, install the upper intake and wire up the fuel pump and it should run. After it runs, it's going to get the body straightened out and then off to paint.
    Satin pearl white with the proper satin charcoal grey belt line mouldings, headlight bucket and grille, all the trim around the windows and door handles will be satin black, Saleen side and rear skirts with the stock RS front air dam and rear spoiler.
    Hope y'all like it.
    1986 GT T-Top 5.0, waiting on trans and IRS swap.
    1988 GT Ragtop, 5.0, T5, 3.73, 03 Cobras with Nittos
    1989 LX Ragtop, 5.0, AOD, shift kit, Pony wheels, baby cam, X pipe and Flowbasterds.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

cool, good luck with it!

cale

Very nice!! Glad to see you got it back home!!

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention. Found damn near all the parts semi locally, and I happen to be going there next weekend with the dually to pick up a motor. Plenty of space for the parts I need, so I'll be picking up everything I can. Found a front cover, steel bumper, hood and fender for under $200.
    Wow that's a great deal. Still sucks what happened but it sounds like it could have been way worse. Good luck dude.

Does anyone here know a part # or can maybe recommend where to find the appropriate rivets that hold the urethane front bumper cover to the header panel??? I need to change the header panel on this nose as it's cracked. In the last pic you can see that the outermost PS headlight is cocked at a slight angle.
    1989 LX Ragtop, 5.0, AOD, shift kit, Pony wheels, baby cam, X pipe and Flowbasterds.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Thanks, wound up getting two sets for less on Ebay!!
    I started working on prepping the engine bay before I put it all together, and since I was planning to do the Coyote swap later I was doing a simple scuff/prime/paint to make it better.
    Before:

The guy who did the straightening didn't do the best job, but that was reflected in the price. With the motor out, it would have been a lot easier. Needless to say, I will be re-straightening this car once the motor comes out.
    I washed it all with some Super Clean and a burgundy 3M scouring pad (didn't wash the firewall as I had the valve covers loose), that took off a lot of the white paint in the engine bay. Thankfully, being a California car for most of it's life it is mostly clean. There was some rust damage on the PS frame rail from the battery acid that sat there, so I cleaned it as best I could and hit it with some Rust Converter. Scuffed it all again, ran some 180 grit over any rust spots and then laid down some thick 2K primer in a can. Let it dry overnight and sanded it with some 220, then cleaned and hit it with some white primer.

And then I found a Coyote motor with light damage for $1800. So work has stopped on the temp engine bay restoration. Going to get the little 302 up and running in EFI form, then putting it on the chassis dyno and up for sale.
    So, the Capri is going in for paint over the winter. After I straighten out the engine bay and swap in the new Coyote setup. For the remainder of this season, I will get the car running well and to the track a few times.

That being said, I think we can get this Coyote swap, hopefully, done for around $6k with the swap parts and a 6 speed. Obviously my bro pays little to nothing for labour but still! Great deal for the diy'er!
    1984 SVO needs TLC

86 50CPRI

nice work youve done there..

Looking much better.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Man. Nearly 6 years later the Coyote is finally going in. A lot has happened in these last few years, and I've relocated about 350 miles away four years ago and only brought the Capri out of storage this past July. Finally got some time this winter to work on it, and the old 302 is out, we ordered a UPR K member and A arm kit, coil overs and I will be picking up some more goodies. I had bought an 02 GT a few years ago and ended up driving it for a year and change before parting it out. The T3650 will back up the Coyote. I also picked up an '04 Cobra IRS and that's semi-installed into the car. Koni struts, factory Bilsteins, MM caster camber plates, MM full length frame connectors, UPR coil overs up front with H+R springs in the rear, probably going to use a stock Cobra cat back exhaust system and I also picked up some 19/20" 2012 GT500 Performance Pack wheels for it. Car has been painted satin pearl white with saleen sides/rear and the bottom half of the car is factory charcoal grey.

It looks incredible with the GT500 wheels on, and once I'm done with it I'm trying to get it featured in a mag. I'll try to post some pics but since photobucket is now ****, does anyone know a good pic hosting site??
    1984 SVO needs TLC

I'll try to post some pics but since photobucket is now ****, does anyone know a good pic hosting site??
    I've been using flickr with good results. It's free and there is a bit of a learning curve when you were used to photobucket, but now that I'm used to it I actually like it better.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

You can post images here on FEP very easily. If the pictures are stored on your computer all you need to do when posting in a thread is to attach the photos using the picture icon in the tool bar at the top of the Quick Reply box. The icon is the 3rd one from the far right. Hover over it and it will say "Insert Image" click on the icon and it will open a pop up. You will have two options: From Computer and From URL. If the pictures are on your computer, then click on that one, it should look like the screen capture below.

Name:  Image Insert.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  25.3 KB

Now click on the "Choose File" that will allow you to pick from your different folders the pictures you need. Once you have the picture you want. Double click on the picture That should give you a pop up that shows the picture name to the right hand side as this screen capture shows.

Name:  Picture chosen.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  21.5 KB

Now click on the Upload File(s) button and it will attach the picture to the post. I am not sure if it's because I use Chrome as my browser or what, but I am only able to upload a single picture at a time even though it states "Files" Not a big deal, just continue doing the same thing as shown above for each picture. We are still limited to 5 pictures per post, so if you have more than that, just make a second post. Hope that helps and look forward to seeing some pictures! Should be an awesome Capri!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

yes........ we LOVE PICTURES!
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

I'll be updating with some pics soon. My desktop PC died a while back and I had been procrastinating repairing it.

So, in the past year the Capri has had a bunch of work done. The 04 Cobra IRS is in, I replaced the passenger side frame rail (what a nightmare), the new tubular suspension is in up front, an SN95 dash swap has begun, and I'm about to drop in the Coyote/TR3650 to test fit before finishing up the engine bay and painting it before dropping the setup in finally. The goal is to have her up and running by the end of March and ready to go before the end of April.
    Name:  IMG_1625.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  86.4 KB
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Your car looks great so far. I used to live in Toronto. What area of the city are you in?

I'm a Scarborough kid originally, and back here again. Thanks! The goal is to get her featured in MM+FF, and then ship it to Germany for my brother.... Then I will get to realize (sort of) a lifetime dream of driving The Nurburgring, albeit in a car I built, not that I own.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Nice, that will be sweet to drive the car in Germany. I would love to see your car. I live just outside of Toronto.

We can meet up at a car show or cruise come springtime. I will probably end up daily driving it a while to iron out any tuning kinks. Still rocking that 85/86 in your avatar??
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Sounds good, I have my 85 that I made it look exactly like my old 86. I just have it in storage for the winter.

I see hours with a portapower in your future.....

good luck fixing it!

Quote Originally Posted by 86MustangGtRob View Post
    Sounds good, I have my 85 that I made it look exactly like my old 86. I just have it in storage for the winter.
    Nice, I also have an 86 GT T top. Though she won't be quite 100% ready this spring. I'll have the Capri and my '90 LX vert out though!

Name:  IMG_7564.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  142.4 KBName:  IMG_7565.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  133.4 KB
    1984 SVO needs TLC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast