Close

Default '81 Capri (White) Black Magic, Downunder!

Eureka, I found my Buck Tag!
    It's very well hidden up underneath the RH side just below the RH high beam headlight, but under that. Working from underneath, I've unbolted the emissions canister and put it to one side and can get my hand up there but not enough to get a 'phillips' screw driver onto the screw. It's loose, but doesn't seem to want to undo any further. I can see the VIN P67B7BR604513 on it and the word CAT but it's very difficult to see much more. Do I need to take the front bumper and grille off to get to it? Any suggestions most welcome please.
    aka Terry M Walsh
    Downunder in Melbourne, Australia

1981 Mercury Capri, 'White' Black Magic, 200-2V/C4
    1983 Ford Capri, 2.8i, 5-spd

removing the grill is the most you'd need to do, I'd think. I've never seen anyone have to remove a bumper cover for the tag.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Thanks for your advice eeprete. I take another look at it but as it's up unerneath the Radiator Grille Reinforcement assembly it can't be got at without removing this. To do that don't I have to remove the bumper cover as well? Is it worth the bother?
    aka Terry M Walsh

Terry, that's where I found my Black Magic's buck also. It was a pain to get to if I remember right. There definitely isn't much room on that side of the core support. Mine didn't have the radiator in it at the time which made it easier to get to. Good luck.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Thanks Dave, I'll have another crack at it later on!
    aka Terry M Walsh

Default Buck Tag removed!

G'day all. I've managed to access the buck tag screw by drilling a 1/4" hole through the bottom/back of the RH highbeam headlight bowl. So, the tag is now off and although painted over it reads as follows:

P67BR604513 99D 8

BW A H T
    #
    WUD RB 67D

B CAT Y

Also, at the spot marked with the # there is a reverse R punched through the tag!?

Can foxchassis now please decypher my buck tag, the full VIN 1MEBP67B7BR604513 and the VC label previously posted at the thread "200cid engine number location" http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=115025 at item #8? Thanks, Terry
    aka Terry M Walsh

Terry:

Since the San Jose Assembly tags are way different than Dearborn tags I'm not going to be able to decode as much of this tag as I normally can, but I'll do what I can.

Can you take a picture of the tag and post it here or email it to me? (If you want to email, PM me for my address.) Thanks.

Mick

Buck Tag
    P67BR604513 = partial VIN
    99D = Polar White exterior paint color
    BW = 3.3L I6 engine (B), C4 automatic transmission (W)
    A = air conditioner
    H
    T
    Я = assembly line QC stamp
    WUD
    RB
    67D = Capri 3-dr sedan
    B
    CAT = Black Magic option
    Y
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Mick (FoxChassis), here's the Buck Tag photo. I cheated a little as I've cleaned the reverse side of it first and taken a pic of it then flipped the photo to show it the right way around. As you can see from the actual front side, it needs some more cleaning up! I'm very keen to try and help you in decyphering these as you say 'different' San Jose tags and will collect as much info as possible and report back sometime later.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    aka Terry M Walsh

Here's a little more info, that I had posted in another thread a couple of months ago...

There were two assembly plants (Dearborn and San Jose) from '79 through some time in '81, and each stamped their buck tags much differently...
    • DAP stamped only the consecutive unit number (aka CUN, i.e. last six of the VIN) and SAP either stamped the whole VIN ('79/'80) or stamped the last 13, minus the engine code and check digit ('81)
    • DAP stamped CBR for the Cobra option and SAP stamped COBRA
    • DAP stamped MO for the moonroof (sunroof) and SAP stamped MOON
    • DAP stamped TR for the T-roof and put it on the same line as the CUN and SAP stamped TROOF and put it on the last line
    • DAP used multi-character codes for many items and SAP used single-characters codes
    • DAP used a three-character code for manual transmissions but nothing for auto and SAP used a single code (from the door tag) for all transmissions, and grouped it with the engine code
    • DAP and SAP put the trim level option codes (GT, RS, CAT, etc.) on different lines

Regarding the early ('79-'81) versus the late ('82-'87) Dearborn Assembly tags...
    • the early tags had unique codes (none of which I have figured out), e.g. AA, AF, COM, DCR, III, M, WQM
    • the early tags have EX for an export model, the late tags do not
    • the late tags have an interior trim code towards the beginning of the last line but I can't figure out where on the early tags
    • seems by mid-'81 the tags were looking the same as they would continue to be from '82 through '87
    Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to figure out what the single-character codes on the San Jose Assembly (SAP) tags stand for.

Even the "WUD" code on your tag is a new one for me.

Maybe if I look at all of the SAP tags, how each car is optioned, any available build sheets, and finally all of the factory literature, something might pop out at me. It's happened before with some of the unknown codes on the Dearborn Assembly (DAP) tags.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 08-27-2011 at 01:02 AM.

Terry: Here is all of the info that I have on the limited number of San Jose-built cars in the database...

http://www.foxchassis.com/VCLData/Mu...se/SanJose.txt
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 05-11-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Mick, thanks for the San Jose list, I'll have a good look at all that data!

Could the WUD code on my Buck Tag be for Power Windows and possibly something to do with non power locks on the doors?
    aka Terry M Walsh

It's possible that code WUD has something to do with power windows and or locks being equipped or not. I thought the same thing. As you can see by looking at the data, I have limited info on some of those vehicles. PIGBOY's '81 Mustang Ghia 4.2L V8 T-roof coupe is the only other one, that I know of (again, limited info), that has power windows and manual locks, but I do not have a Buck Tag for that one.

Default Attention all San Jose (SAP) built owners!

Perhaps another part of the problem with these San Jose (SAP) built cars is in the fact that many seem to be having trouble locating the Buck Tag! I found mine on the RH side down low, sought of behind the highbeam headlight, but lower. To get to it you had to come from underneath but it wasn't possible to undo the screw holding it without taking off the whole front bumper assembly OR drilling a 1/4" hole in the right spot through the headlight bowl. See photo attached for where I mean, it's the lower left hole that did the trick! All those SAP built car owners out there may find it by putting there hand way up underneath the front right and feeling around!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    aka Terry M Walsh

hey terry, i couldnt find it when i had it, i tryed looking in the normal places but i gave up.
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 84NAVYCAT View Post
    hey terry, i couldnt find it when i had it, i tryed looking in the normal places but i gave up.
    Joe, I had a small powerful flashlight and just kept creeping around the car until I finally saw what looked like a bunch of numbers on a tag, BINGO, I had found it. Admittedly, I found it on the last corner I looked at after doing the front first, both sides and then underneath with the car jacked up! It wasn't easy to see with the emissions canister in the way. When I removed that I was then able to stick my hand up from underneath and feel a phillips head screw which I managed to get slightly loose by hand. Couldn't get any screw driver in there which is why I drilled a hole (well 3 actually) to gain access to the screw, voila, off it came and dropped down. I'm sure if others read this then they might be encouraged to have another look!!
    aka Terry M Walsh

your a better man then me then.... i thought when they put the new motor and radiator in it they lost it as i was looking for it in the NORMAL places, but under the canister... go figure
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Thanks Joe. Are you in Melbourne on Monday, night, September 12th? If so, we have a big classic car and other stuff auction at Shannons at 321 Warrigal Rd, Cheltenham. Featuring non other than a genuine 1969 XW Falcon Gt-HO with a price range of $80-90,000. Also an XA Falcon GT RPO 83 Sedan, only 4 made I believe! Could be an interesting night.
    aka Terry M Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by terrymwalsh View Post
    Thanks Joe. Are you in Melbourne on Monday, night, September 12th? If so, we have a big classic car and other stuff auction at Shannons at 321 Warrigal Rd, Cheltenham. Featuring non other than a genuine 1969 XW Falcon Gt-HO with a price range of $80-90,000. Also an XA Falcon GT RPO 83 Sedan, only 4 made I believe! Could be an interesting night.
    i wish i was but i lv on the 13th to head home but if your going some pictures would be nice. that XA should bring in some major cash
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 84NAVYCAT View Post
    i wish i was but i lv on the 13th to head home but if your going some pictures would be nice. that XA should bring in some major cash
    Hey Joe, please call me when you hit Melbourne so that we can catch up face-to-face. Cheers, Terry (Home: 0397967988 or Cell: 0408519155)
    aka Terry M Walsh