Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who runs coil overs?

Everyone that has front and/or rear coil overs whether it be for autocross, drag or street, please chime in here. What brand are you using? How are they working out for you? I'd consider getting them for my car but I'm concerned that the strut and shock towers are really not designed to carry that much load without additional reinforcement. But, the ability to easily change spring rates and ride height along with a potential weight savings is very interesting.
    1985 Mustang GT, owned since 1989
    2000 Expedition XLT 219k miles
    2011 Expedition XLT

I had them on my 86 for about 4 hours. It rode like a covered wagon, and feelt lie it would come apart with every little bump in the road. I shared your concern about the additional weight on the strut tower so I went back to a stock style setup. The biggest problem is finding a CC plate that is designed for use with coilovers. I can't remember what brand parts I was using as it's been a few years.
    83 GT Turbo

I run Maximum Motorsport CC plates and strut tower brace. I run Bilstein strut/shocks with the MM coil over conversion kit. No complaints.

Talking

I have the QA1 Tubular K-Member with the Coil Over Kit on my 86 GT. I use the 14" 150lbs rated Coil Springs. Topped with the UPR Aluminum Caster/Camber Plates and the 70/30 Lakewood Struts. My car has a Flaming River Manual Rack and Manuel Brakes up front. I like the ride quality up front. In the rear I am using the QA1 Adjustable Shocks with the Drag Launch Springs and Air Bag in the right rear coil. I also installed the Mega bite Jrs. Lower Control Arms with the Adjustable Uppers. Car has the Sub Frame Connectors,8-point Molly Cage,and the Torque Boxes have All the Reinforcements Added and Welded. My Rear Axle Tubes are also welded.

FEP Member

I've had the UPR conv. kit on one of my cars, and QA1 coil over on the other and both rode fine. A friend of mine drove the car because he thought it wouldn't ride to good and said it felt pretty much like my eibach drag launch did. As long as they have been around and as much as you see some of these guys drag the back bumper and then slam the front end down, you don't hear of to many that tore up the strut towers.

ive had coilovers on my '94 for a few years and i can see my drivers side strut tower being distorted .the surface is slightly bowed upwards.so i do believe they are not strong enough to support the cars weight.
    if you cant fix it with a hammer.......you've got an electrical problem

Unhappy

A damaged strut tower... Wow, that is definitely something I would want to avoid. It sounds like that particular area should be reinforced. Thanks!
    2011 Expedition XLT

i've been running mine for a couple years and i haven't had any problems, a buddy of mine has been running coil overs in his big block 86 coupe for over 5 years and hasn't had any problems with strut tower deformation. ( the big block is a lot heavier then any small block )

Quote Originally Posted by 86_Notch View Post
    i've been running mine for a couple years and i haven't had any problems, a buddy of mine has been running coil overs in his big block 86 coupe for over 5 years and hasn't had any problems with strut tower deformation. ( the big block is a lot heavier then any small block )
    his engine weighs more than mine,but his whole front end still probably weighs less.im sure driving situations have something to do with it.i drive mine hard on the street with some wheels up launches at the track
    if you cant fix it with a hammer.......you've got an electrical problem

Quote Originally Posted by 93-331-29PSI View Post
    I had them on my 86 for about 4 hours. It rode like a covered wagon, and feelt lie it would come apart with every little bump in the road. I shared your concern about the additional weight on the strut tower so I went back to a stock style setup. The biggest problem is finding a CC plate that is designed for use with coilovers. I can't remember what brand parts I was using as it's been a few years.
    Sounds like you rate was too much. What spring rate were you using?
    82 Capri RS, 5.8L, solid drop mounts, areomotive fuel system, 3" exhaust, ROD six speed, MM torque arm suspension, "mathis" 90 k-member, 04 cobra control arms, h&r springs, koni shocks, m-2300-k, caged, battery relocate

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 93-331-29PSI View Post
    Do you know the specs on you coil springs, Sounds like they may have been on the stiff side
    Neal

Go to MMs site and read the tech on C/Os, CC plates and spring rates: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/. That should provide you with a basic understanding of the engineering involved and risk of strut tower deformation. FWIW, I have the MM front C/O kit for Bilsteins usiing 300 lb hypercoils with MM CC plates and STB; never going back to standard spring set-up.

Thanks. I read the tech article and it is helpful. They mention how their product distributes the load evenly but they don't address what it does to the strut tower itself. The entire strut tower is really no more than stamped or formed sheet metal even at the upper mounting point of the coilover. The stock spring pocket in the K-member is heavier gage steel where the load is also carried by the front frame rails. It seems to me that the strut tower could use some reinforcement and at the very least, a triangulated strut tower brace. The sheet metal strut tower appears to be the weak link in an otherwise ideal suspension set up. We have an example here with memphis306's car being slightly damaged from coil over use. I'd like to know why and how to prevent the same thing from happening.
    2011 Expedition XLT

My car has coil overs on both ends. The front has had two different setups in the last 10 years. I had a D&D K member, coil overs, and CC plates for about 6 years, and now the front is a fabricated moly k-member and arms with a UPR coil over kit and the same very old CC plates. On the rear the car has Strange coil over shocks (my car is mini tubbed). I have to say if your car is structurally in good shape I would not worry all that much about the strength of the strut towers. My car has had front coil overs for a long time and has left wheels up for the last 10 years (it has been to the bumper a number of times) and the towers are still fine. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ackman70 View Post
    I run Maximum Motorsport CC plates and strut tower brace. I run Bilstein strut/shocks with the MM coil over conversion kit. No complaints.
    I have too mm cc-plates and mm coil over conversion kit and bilstein struts. Springs are 300lb. No going back to old system.
    1979 cobra 331+ t5+ 8.8" 354hp/492nm torq
    1981 t-top "sold"
    1976 gran torino 400 +c6 "sold"
    www.ford-freak.org

FEP User

I run coil overs on the front maximum motorsports coil over hardware strut tower brace and cc plates and bilstien HD struts. I love it would never go back. I do open track stuff with the car as for the strut towers getting messed up This is my cc plate after I took a little trip off road with my car....

Nothing wrong with the strut tower at all.. And mm makes some of the best if not best cc plates on the market. I wouldnt waste your time at all with UPR qai granateli etc etc etc because with all that junk you are just making the car weaker.
    85 GT project
    85 gt T top 24 hours of lemons build
    86 coupe full MM Carbed LS1 Tko Cobra brakes etc in the works.
    92 Mk 7 T-5

Wow, the strut plate absorbed most of the hit instead of the strut tower. Interesting... I wonder if it was designed intentionally to do that. Did it dent your hood? Thanks for the great photos. I've heard nothing but good things about MM products.
    2011 Expedition XLT

I ran upr coil overs and didn't like how the coil overs changed ride quality on the street. At the track though the car launched awesome.

I know a lot of people on here bash upr but I don't think any of the people bashing have actually used them. UPR products have been some of the best suspension products I have used. I used there complete rear suspension and my buddy uses there suspension front to back. Quality is great and there products perform how they are supposed too.
    86 Mustang - Part SVO, Part GT, Part LX but 3 wrecks make one car.

Quote Originally Posted by ZachW04Stang View Post
    I ran upr coil overs and didn't like how the coil overs changed ride quality on the street. At the track though the car launched awesome.

I know a lot of people on here bash upr but I don't think any of the people bashing have actually used them. UPR products have been some of the best suspension products I have used. I used there complete rear suspension and my buddy uses there suspension front to back. Quality is great and there products perform how they are supposed too.
    i run a UPR k member with coil overs and i love it. Their stuff is a huge bargain compared to other products and is extremely light weight. I think the quality is very very good and everything fit exactly as it was supposed to. My car is set up for street and strip action so i can't say how it would perform on a road course, however, it rides better then a stocker and transferrs weight really well. Overall i give them an A + .

interesting assessments of coilovers, i'd like to hear more about possible tower deformation using a 351w and coil overs though.. as MM has informed me that their 4 point strut tower brace is for 302's and won't fit with the 351w.. after looking at other competitors equipment when compaired to the MM CC plates i've purchased i'd have to say they are certainly beefier and were made for extreem street/course duty.. other products might save weight and cost.. but MM quality is second to none and i feel is worth the extra cost.. i'll be going with a full MM suspension fore and aft. i'll certainly be doing more research as time goes on concerning the difference between a stock and coilover setup.. but i am definatly swayed heavily twards coil overs, as i just can't get enough of the twisties..
    83 GT w/ T-Tops (JeffCleaned)
    2021 Turbo Blue Audi S5

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Joshua View Post
    interesting assessments of coilovers, i'd like to hear more about possible tower deformation using a 351w and coil overs though.. as MM has informed me that their 4 point strut tower brace is for 302's and won't fit with the 351w.. after looking at other competitors equipment when compaired to the MM CC plates i've purchased i'd have to say they are certainly beefier and were made for extreem street/course duty.. other products might save weight and cost.. but MM quality is second to none and i feel is worth the extra cost.. i'll be going with a full MM suspension fore and aft. i'll certainly be doing more research as time goes on concerning the difference between a stock and coilover setup.. but i am definatly swayed heavily twards coil overs, as i just can't get enough of the twisties..
    I've been running an iron headed 351 with coil overs for almost 2 years and everythings fine. I'd been debating on getting the UPR stuff for a few months when a buddy of mine took the plunge . I helped him install their stuff and i was really impressed. He's had his stuff for over 5 years and has had no problems what so ever. BTW He is running an iron headed big block and 5 speed. If that won't stress your shock towers or k member then i don't know what will.

My buddies car pulls the wheels about 6" off the line and comes down hard since it doesn't have the power too keep it up and he's never bent anything on his upr suspension including the caster camber plates. There billet aluminum plates are very thick too, that is what I ran on my car as well.
    86 Mustang - Part SVO, Part GT, Part LX but 3 wrecks make one car.

I use Strange adjustable front shocks with QA1 coilover kit #130lb springs. I've also got a QA1 k-member and i'm running UPR steel caster/camber plates. With the adjustable shocks the street ride is great, you can't even tell the springs are that light.

When I put a 351w in the car I think i'm going with Eibach or Moroso front coil springs.
    1986 Mustang GT
    306 H/C/I C4
    67mm Turbo
    10.37@131
    http://www.skilledit.com

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcity View Post
    Wow, the strut plate absorbed most of the hit instead of the strut tower. Interesting... I wonder if it was designed intentionally to do that. Did it dent your hood? Thanks for the great photos. I've heard nothing but good things about MM products.

didnt dent the hood.

What does the OP want to do road racing or drag racing?
    85 GT project
    85 gt T top 24 hours of lemons build
    86 coupe full MM Carbed LS1 Tko Cobra brakes etc in the works.
    92 Mk 7 T-5

This OP would be "street", mainly blasting curves on the back country roads. So, the real risk for my car would be hitting a pot hole or other road imperfection at high speed.
    2011 Expedition XLT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast