Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Ford sold T-roof Mustangs two years prior ('77 and '78 models)
    Learn something new everyday. I didn't know that. I just had to google it to see what they looked like.
    Chris

Had
    Too many that I wish I'd kept!

Have
    69 Mach 1 "M" Code
    82 GT 308(my 1st stang)
    82 GT T-top (a new beginning) Rebuild Thread
    71 Torino GT

Quote Originally Posted by K PONY View Post
    ... with his car being a stock dealer unit and being sold 10/12/82, the '83 Mustangs were on the dealer lots by this point... maybe the person that purchased this GT prefered the '82 over the '83 styling and wanted a '82 GT t-top, dealer didn't have one in stock and couldn't find one on another dealer lot to do a dealer trade so then the selling dealer offered the C&C t-top conversion... I can't see Shanahan Ford sending this GT back to C&C in Michigan to do the conversion, someone local must have done it with the C&C kit that was provided
    That seems logical and matches the exisitng evidence.

Bo

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" - Sherlock Holmes

New User

Hope this sheds a little light on the subject. I bought a 1982 Mustang GT new. The car was supposed to have a factory sunroof , but didn't. The dealer suggested sending the car C&C to have the sunroof not t-tops installed. I drove the car there myself and spent half the day wating for a (poor quality nothing like the factory) sunroof to be installed. The check was made payable to C&C I think I still have the recipt and dome light that was removed. While wating I spent the day watching cars being unloaded from the car carriers and a few reverse holeshots being done from what I remember. The cars did have some kind of very large weather stripping at the tops of the windows (maybe precut doors and moldings for special prep?) Hope this helps.
    Last edited by 28gt; 08-28-2011 at 05:15 PM.

FEP Power Member

This car came with original bill of sale with the owners name and address. I decided to call and talked to him for a few minutes and he told me that he decided to get the T-Tops after he bought. In 1983 the Ford dealer sent it to a local shop called Ontario Automotive who was authourized by Ford to do certain modifications like t-tops. So there you have it...

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer82gt View Post
    This car came with original bill of sale with the owners name and address. I decided to call and talked to him for a few minutes and he told me that he decided to get the T-Tops after he bought. In 1983 the Ford dealer sent it to a local shop called Ontario Automotive who was authourized by Ford to do certain modifications like t-tops. So there you have it...
    Pretty cool that you got to talk with the original owner and find out the story behind the t tops. So question is, How shocked was the person when you called them and told him what you were calling about? I'm sure after that long the guy had to be shocked to hear from someone about his car.
    Current: 81 Cobra T Top, 79 Cobra.
    Past Toys: 1964 Falcon Vert, 1966 Mustang(owned twice), 70 Conv, 1978 Mustang II(first car), 80 Cobra, 81 Cobra, 82 GT T-Top, 85 GT 3,900 miles, 85 Predator/Twister 5S-0149, 86 Saleen 177, 86 SVO, 86 Mustang GT, 86 Mustang GT Vert, 87 Mustang GT, 89 Mustang Notch, 2003 Mustang GT Roush Clone, 2006 Mustang V6(Stainless Works LT's, MBRP cat back, 3.73's, tb, cai), and my favorite 2002 Mustang GT MPH 302 stroker, KB 2.2, TKO 500 640rwhp/591torque.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by 02pnygt View Post
    Pretty cool that you got to talk with the original owner and find out the story behind the t tops. So question is, How shocked was the person when you called them and told him what you were calling about? I'm sure after that long the guy had to be shocked to hear from someone about his car.
    He was very surprised to hear from someone that now owns a car that he had for over 20 years. He warned me about how much power that those little cars have and to be careful not to twist the frame. He took my name and number and wants to come by someday to see it.

OMG.. u guys really DO have it worse than me...lol

Ok, first off... I still have GTT TWO sitting here with a few new parts but it hasn't moved in over a year...lol... so, anyone have a lime green "hairdresser" 82 they wanna trade me for this TR car???! ROFLMAO.. since there's apparently nothing but high option cars left from 82, I figure my hairdresser WOULD be the one at BJ's grabbin 40 or 50k a few years from now! lol... omg, I'm really laughing hysterically as I type this guys!!

Second... and for real. Question. Why is the registry (mustanggt.org) reporting 24,799 GT's made total but boomer's report says 25,739? And.. and.. and.. my redbook says that there were 9,926 GLX hatchbacks, which subtracted from it's reporting of 35,435 (P16F) GT/GLX hatchbacks, equals 25,509?!?!

Furthermore.. my red book that covers '64 1/2 to '04 stangs says there were 35,435 (P16F) GT/GLX hatchbacks made total in '82. So, since they are SO rare..lol.. doesn't that mean according to the new Marti Martierial that about 1 in 3 GLX/GT's were t-roof, and to break down further since about 25k GT's were made then one could maybe assume that 6k or so of them were t-roof. Right? ughh.. I'm glad in the long run it really doesn't matter...lol.

Finally, for now anyway, ... a really dumb question, but my redbook refers to a "TR" performance package offered in 82. This included the TRX wheels, tires, and suspension. Again.. dumb, but is there any way the TR on a buck tag could be related to this option NOT t-roof? h aha haha ahha ah (<--si runs off in the corner and continues to laugh indefinately!)

I have more questions... but I'm gonna let you guys catch up while I start looking for... um... a hairdresser....preferably one that charges less than $80/hr.

SI
    Last edited by SilentInsomnia; 08-31-2011 at 10:55 PM. Reason: cuz I felt like it
    Smile, it's an easy thing you have complete control over that takes less work than the alternative.

Have:

'82 GT T-top #24 Red x 2

Sorry, but I'm gonna add in one more little snippet here... I know this is our hobby, but either it's a yenko, or it's not. Either it's a roush, or mclaren, or steeda, or not. I just can't see an actual conversation ever taking place like this...

"well, you know it's only 1 of 5 lime green hairdressers with no a/c, manual steering, wagon wheels, a plastic gas tank, and an autographed picture of Lee Iacocca on the clutch pedal!... left out there anyways.."

Hope this ...errr.. umm.. helps?

SI

(edit--middle of nightish).... I found my hairdresser... and she's a real knockout!)

http://news.yahoo.com/alaska-woman-s...220558799.html
    Last edited by SilentInsomnia; 09-01-2011 at 01:47 AM.
    Smile, it's an easy thing you have complete control over that takes less work than the alternative.

Have:

'82 GT T-top #24 Red x 2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123