Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

After it was recovered from a theft years ago, my '86 GT has a later GT spoiler. It's grown on me a little, but I'd still prefer the original one. When it gets painted next, I'll be going back to the stock one.

Here it after the tail lights got swapped back.

"I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car." - Will Shriner

'86 GT Mustang "Tigger"
    '95 GT convertible (wife's car)
    '86 SVO accursed car (sold)

never been a fan of the 87-93 gt spoiler, buy i've always wondered what my '86 would look like with a pace car/cobra/82-83 gt 3-piece spoiler.

I have to agree with most of the crowd here too. Never really liked the 87-93 GT spoiler, but it looked alright to me on the GT Aero cars.

As a couple of members have already stated, I think if you are going non stock the 93 Cobra spoiler does look pretty good on the 83-86 cars IMHO.

It is your car and if you like the look then go for it. You can never make everyone happy!

Trey

GT wing, depends on your tastes.. I like the SVO bi-wing and the Saleen wing. I also like the naked hatch look (no wing).

Of course, stock wing can look "all business"

I've been thinking about extending the lip a little, not by much but just enough to give it a "WTF - this is off a little" kind of feeling. But that would be days and days of fiberglass work.

Back to the GT wing. I don't think it looks right. Here's why. The lines are very rounded and match the GT body kit but not the straight up GT 4 eyes (without body kits). I also think the lines of the wing are represented better with the cheesegrader tails as well, not sure why but the whole package looks good, the wing itself on an LX or 4 eye GT, doesn't work for me.
    Last edited by 4 eyes; 08-12-2011 at 11:17 AM.
    1980 Cobra Project

Quote Originally Posted by bull-vette View Post
    I'm not a fan, but each his own. The blue Mustang in that link looks good though.
    Very pretty blue.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

I don't care for the later model GT wing, even on later model GT's. It just doesn't look right. To even make it look halfway right, you have to have the rear valance, side skirts, and front air dam. Not necissarily GT stuff.

I loved my 85 Saleen clone. Here it is with no body kit and a saleen stacked wing (bolts to existing early GT/late model LX wing)

And here it is with the rest of the body kit:

Eventually, she went back to "stock":

As with anything non-stock for a particular production year, it's a matter of personal taste. I like the spoiler. If I had a hatchback, it would have to have something there. I had an aftermarket boss 302-like spoiler on my 86 vert. The only reason I put it on was to keep the 3rd brake light after the hideous fake luggage rack was removed. It actually looked good, at least IMHO. My 85 vert is just naked in the back... I'm trying to keep her stock and simple.
    Stock 1985 GT convertible, auto with CFI. Formerly owned an 86 GT convertible.

FEP Super Member

For me, that spoiler only looks good on Aero GT's. It looks out of balance on an LX or 4 eye GT because of the lack of ground effects maybe.
    Former Foxes:
    1983 Fairmont Futura 4dr
    1986 Mustang LX 2.3 4 speed
    1985 Mustang GT
    1985 GT - 357w, T5, 8.8 w/ 4.10's.
    Best ET 13.5639, Best Mph 102.39
    1988 LX 5.0 AOD notch, bone stock no options except A/C
    1980 Mercury Capri RS Turbo, 50k mile survivor.
    1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe....ratty but fun.
    1992 Mustang GT convertible 85k from original owner

post 24 has the best look for the car. if you want to look bad ass. woof!
    HARVESTER OF EYES

DAMN IT! LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES, SAID THE CRIES OF THE CARROT.
    YOU SHOULD NEVER SMOKE IN PAJAMAS, YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE AND BURN YOUR FACE.

I like the look of the 87-93 GT wing on an 86. It's not outrageously different enough to look super out of place and it's different enough to say "hey I'm not just like everyone else".

I've been looking for a T top car to build up and if I can find one it will most likely get either an 87-up GT wing or the 93 Cobra wing.

But hey it's your car do what YOU like.
    Greg

95 Bronco 4WD 5.0, auto, 3:55 rear- daily driver

86 Mustang GT T-tops 5.0, 5 speed, 3:27 gears

68 Firebird 400, ported 6X heads, 068 cam, Muncie 4-speed, 3:55 gears

Quote Originally Posted by Speedofsound View Post
    Hope these help,OP...

That looks pretty bad a$$. Love the wheel choice.
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

I've never been a fan of that either.. though my 79 has a 87 wing on it now.. was on there when I got it.. but its not going to be on there much longer. To each their own as they say though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by escogt View Post
    That looks pretty bad a$$. Love the wheel choice.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Speedofsound; 08-15-2011 at 11:41 AM.

shes a man, man baby! say cheese.
    HARVESTER OF EYES

DAMN IT! LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES, SAID THE CRIES OF THE CARROT.
    YOU SHOULD NEVER SMOKE IN PAJAMAS, YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE AND BURN YOUR FACE.

Quote Originally Posted by mattquerio View Post
    For me, that spoiler only looks good on Aero GT's. It looks out of balance on an LX or 4 eye GT because of the lack of ground effects maybe.
    +1

Justin
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.

Hope these help,OP...

Yep, that is SWEET!

I personally like the GT spoiler on a 85-93 hatch if it is an LX. My old 87 LX had a GT hatch on it because the original one got a little rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by 86capriASC View Post
    I agree with Jeff, '93 Cobra wing.
    Like this one

Last edited by bkoons85gt; 08-15-2011 at 02:25 PM.
    ~Bryan

1985 Mustang GT w/ T-Tops, Original Paint, 160,XXX miles
    Mods: 600cfm Carb, Underdrive Pulleys, Subframe Connectors, 4pt G-Load Brace, MM Strut Tower brace, 8.8 rear w/ 3.55 gears & LCA's

Pics from production of "The Saleen Book"
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1027847075

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/select1271.htm

Quote Originally Posted by bkoons85gt View Post
    Like this one

Now that looks sweet!

Justin
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.

The spoiler was already on my car when I bought it. I considered changing it when I painted the car, but I think it looks alright so I left it alone.

408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    The spoiler was already on my car when I bought it. I considered changing it when I painted the car, but I think it looks alright so I left it alone.

Yes! That is what my 87 used to look like (from the rear!)! Nice combo! If you have a magnifying glass, it is in the background of my avatar pic.

i think the gt and cobra wing both look great, the owner before me put a svo wing on my 85 gt yikes!

Hope these help,OP...

I am falling in love with the way this car looks!
    It is kinda changing my aproach to what i want mine to look like!
    Thanks for the pics!
    86 stang GT hatchback HX35 turbo project ( Gonna call it done....for now! no numbers yet ) now with a blown T5.

**NEW** 00' F250 4X4 supercab short bed PSD!! Straight piped and on 35's. Hoping for a tuner soon!!

02 mountaineer stock! Fiances' ride

Quote Originally Posted by lil86hatch View Post
    pace fever is that ur car?
    looks good the thought is still up in the air but i like the one in that pic
    As Shelby said, that is mine. I did mine when some guy put the bumper of his truck through my tail light panel and hatch. Not sure I would have bothered otherwise but I like it

Quote Originally Posted by kbrandt View Post
    After it was recovered from a theft years ago, my '86 GT has a later GT spoiler. It's grown on me a little, but I'd still prefer the original one. When it gets painted next, I'll be going back to the stock one.

Here it after the tail lights got swapped back.

I have to say that i really like that second pic and for the black gt is just such a bad ass i decided that im going for it and since theres a little rust on my hatch im just going to buy a hatch and all of a 87-93 GT

I bought a aero hatch for my 82 GT (to use while I had the hole in the hatch repaired) and I didn't like it on there at all. And the 82 spoiler won't fit on the later model hatch.
    1982 Mustang GT - Black with Red Interior
    Engine: Former 306 with AFR 185's, F Cam, RPM Air Gap, Barry Grant 650, Ford Racing shorties, and MSD 6AL. Coming soon a 408. Transmission: Broader Performance C-4 with Reverse Manual Valve body and Ultimate Convertor Concepts 3500 Stall.
    Rearend: 8.8 with 3.73 Gears and Moser Axles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast