Close

Default 5.0 to C6 questions

I'm picking up a pair of Broncos after work. One has a is an 85/86 with a 5.0 and an AOD that is sliping. The second on is an 83 and has no motor but does have a C6 for a 302/351W. The C6 has a torque converter but no flywheel. So here is my question:

will the 5.0 and flywheel from the 85/86 work with the C6 from the 83. I know it bolts up but I'm worried about the flywheel not fitting since it's currently bolted to an AOD and I have never delt with a Ford AOD.

If I need a different flywheel would I look for an 83 flywheel for a 5.0/5.8 with a c6? Would that require a different starter? I'm googling for answers but there is a lot of stuff to read through. Just hoping someone knows the answers.

Why go with c6? They weigh a ton and use more HP than a C4.

The C4 is a sweet shifting durable tranny if built right.

Well because the broncos are a two-for-one deal. The guy bought the bronco with a c6 to use as a donor and lost interest in the project. I can swap the 5.0 into the bronco with the C6 since that one has a 9" rear and a better body and interior. The c6 is for a small block. I wouldn't mind a c4 but this is free. Down the road I would really like to go c4 or maybe ZF swap

Ah, my fault, I thought you wanted the c6 for your stang.

Ohh no. lol I would go c4 for a stang but it would have to be a track only car at that point. I love rowing gear way too much to swap from stick to auto, unless it was for track reasons.

Depends if the flexplate is 50oz. Usually if they were behind a 351 they were 28oz flexplates.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Just thought I would up date:

The flywheel would be from the 5.0 and according to the local Napa the same flywheel is used for most of the 3 and 4 speed transmission found behind small blocks. So AOD, c5, c6 and some others all share the same flywheel for my 83 Bronco.