Close

Default "slightly larger" case 3G alternators on 2.3T

So, I've burned out another voltage regulator. Took this one almost a year. Alt still tests beautifully at a real alternator shop (yes, they still exist).

Was thinking about going over to PA-Performance to go to an internally regulated 3G alt.

They show one alt for a 2.3 car: http://www.pa-performance.com/Script...p?idproduct=46

I was thinking about going for the larger 5.0 case: http://www.pa-performance.com/Script...p?idproduct=49 , which I know how to install on a V8 car... does anyone have dimensions or experience with running these on a 2.3 car?

Cause, 130A sounds a lot nicer than 95A for an extra $30.
    1983 GT (white/black) 185k, Dec 07
    1983 TurboGT (white/black) ~200k, Aug 09
    1984 non-GT "mechanic", way too many miles.

The 130G Alt fits with minor grinding on a serpentine equipped car. On V-belt cars its possible that it fits fine, not sure since my car is a serpentine setup.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Good point, this is on a V-belt car.

Anyone tread this path before me? I found the NA Thunder boards talking about the serpentine setup, and I'm OK with being the first to do it on a dual V-belt setup, but I figure it behooves me to ask.
    1983 GT (white/black) 185k, Dec 07
    1983 TurboGT (white/black) ~200k, Aug 09
    1984 non-GT "mechanic", way too many miles.

I've had one on my SVO since I first got it back together in 2007. I didn't have a stocker but had the 3G on the shelf, so I went with it. I first used it with the v-belt setup and later switched to the serpentine after having lower crank pulley issues with the 3rib, then a/c belt slippage using the 2-rib setups. The serpentine belt setup has solved all my belt issues. The 3G has been with me the whole time without issue. Just needs a bit of bracket modifications to fit. And the PA performance regulator so the dash light will still work.

Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Quote Originally Posted by ElaborateDream View Post
    Good point, this is on a V-belt car.

Anyone tread this path before me? I found the NA Thunder boards talking about the serpentine setup, and I'm OK with being the first to do it on a dual V-belt setup, but I figure it behooves me to ask.
    Its been done on a V-belt setup before, because of the lack of the large aluminum bracket I don't believe there is any clearance issue, just need to tighten the alt down in a different position than stock.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Use a 87'-88' Tbird alt.

Quote Originally Posted by cmr63 View Post
    Use a 87'-88' Tbird alt.
    Ick. No. You can keep the fire-prone 2G's if you like.

I've got a 3G on the TBird (2.3T) with just the basic stock (early) V-belt alt bracket. I'm running a manually-tensioned "serp" belt, and haven't had any issues with slippage, etc.

D'OH. I just realized I haven't re-uploaded the TBird pics after the lost of my last webhost, so sorry, no pic at the moment.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Mike Croke

Our '85.5 SVO has a 3G using the stock v-belts. No mounting modifications needed.

Our '84 Capri Turbo RS has a 3G running a serpentine belt and needed some grinding/sanding because the case runs into the mounting bracket. Minor and unseen once the alternator is installed.