Close

Default Is it a Black Magic?

So I just bought an '81 and I noticed some remnants of gold pinstripes. What all ways are there to tell whether it is a real Black Magic? Before I bought it I was wanting to go a different route, but now I'm under the spell of Black Magic. I will post some pics later this weekend.

You need to look at the Buck Tag. Many of the identifying items for a Black Magic were also optional on the base Capri without the Black Magic option.

If the Buck Tag is stamped "CAT" at the beginning of the fifth line, it's a Black Magic. If the Buck Tag is still on the car, please post an image of it or type the codes out. Thanks.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

If you think it is ,but not posotive-is there a way to verify a black magic model without the usage of the factory data plate..? Matt

The buck tag is the only way I know of for sure.

I take that back...

There is one other way but you need the build sheet...

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    I take that back...

There is one other way but you need the build sheet...
    Door tag would help clue us in with the interior code but for 1981 it might not be 100% certain.

-Mike

If the car still had gold TRX wheels on it, that might be a good enough indicator. Those wheels were exclusive to the Black Magic.

The code on the build sheet to ID a Black Magic is "GX" (Gold TRX wheels). It is near the beginning of Line F.

The code for 'regular' TRX wheels is "TX".
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 08-22-2011 at 03:26 AM.