Close

Default Roller rocker arms

1990 Mustang 5.0L. Edelbrock Performer heads with studs/guide plates. What relatively inexpensive 1.6 ratio roller rocker will fit with no (or minimal) mods to the STOCK VCs.

Thanks,
    T

Quote Originally Posted by TWR2003 View Post
    relatively inexpensive
    Define that.
    I picked up SVO B351 for $175 used.
    They fit under the stock aluminum covers you see on a 90 5.0 HO engine.
    Yet, those would not work on your heads.
    85 GT convertible

you'll need hardend pushrods to use with giude plates. Found that one out the hard way
    82 Capri RS, 5.8L, solid drop mounts, areomotive fuel system, 3" exhaust, ROD six speed, MM torque arm suspension, "mathis" 90 k-member, 04 cobra control arms, h&r springs, koni shocks, m-2300-k, caged, battery relocate

Quote Originally Posted by Puter View Post
    Define that.
    I picked up SVO B351 for $175 used.
    They fit under the stock aluminum covers you see on a 90 5.0 HO engine.
    Yet, those would not work on your heads.
    The Ford Racing/FMS/SVO rockers for 3/8 stud mount would be the 6564-A351. Yes, I would need hardened pushrods with the stud mount/guideplate heads.

I guess from what Im finding $300-$350 is what you got to pay these days for a new set of roller rockers. The A50s are $260 but are cast aluminum, 1.7, and are bolt down. Anone running these rockers?

Thanks,
    T
    Last edited by TWR2003; 11-26-2008 at 01:40 PM.

the scorpion roller rockers are priced decently, and are of good quality. My bro has been running them for several years now without any issues.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

The Crane 1.6 vacume die cast roller rockers will work fine in your application.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

Define what you mean by "work fine".

The Crane 1.6 die cast rockers are Chevy rockers, and will not have proper
    geometry on any Ford engine.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

from what i hear stud mount you need talled valve covers(or cut the baffles off yours-bad idea i tried it) and pedestal mount you can run stock valve covers.. i run the 160.00 scorpion stud mount 1.6RR and they work great, it was also an excuse to buy some polished aluminum tall valve covers(70.00 on ebay)
    86' Coupe Street/Strip Never Ending Project-351w, 4 Wheel Disk, WC T5, etc...

Link to my car Pics:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/hyper7pbs/

Part # 11746 Crane. For small block fords. 1.6 ratio 3/8" stud mount.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    Define what you mean by "work fine".

The Crane 1.6 die cast rockers are Chevy rockers, and will not have proper
    geometry on any Ford engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by 306gt View Post
    JACook,
    Your advice is usually right on the mark so I have to ask - do you know something about the Crane 11746 that isnt generally known? I wasnt really interested in them until you guys brought them up but now I might be. I know they are cast and not extruded but for a purely street application Im interested. And $130 or so less. Correct me if Im wrong but arent these just the 1.6 ratio version of the vacuum die cast rocker Ford used on the 93 Cobra? But if they really arent right for Ford application Id like to know about that.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...6&autoview=sku

Thanks,
    T

werent 93 cobra's 1.7?

Quote Originally Posted by 306gt View Post
    Correct. Now go look up the Energizer cast 1.6 rockers for Small Block Chevy...

Many years ago, Crane made a Ford-specific Energizer cast rocker. Way I found
    out that they had changed was I had to replace a couple, and when I did, I found
    the new ones were different, and the geometry was wrong. Then I found out why.

BTW, a lot of the early valve guide problems that gave the Twisted Wedge heads
    a bad reputation, were caused by people using these rockers.

You will not achieve anything close to proper valvetrain geometry with these
    rockers on a Ford.

I don't know if the same holds true for the 1.7 bolt-down rockers, since I've sworn
    off the Energizers, but the 1.7 stud-mount Energizer rockers are also listed as the
    same for SBC and SBF...
    Last edited by JACook; 11-30-2008 at 07:52 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by 86fiveoh View Post
    werent 93 cobra's 1.7?
    cobra R's were 1.7 made by crane. They still have the ford part # on them
    82 Capri RS, 5.8L, solid drop mounts, areomotive fuel system, 3" exhaust, ROD six speed, MM torque arm suspension, "mathis" 90 k-member, 04 cobra control arms, h&r springs, koni shocks, m-2300-k, caged, battery relocate

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    Correct. Now go look up the Energizer cast 1.6 rockers for Small Block Chevy...

Many years ago, Crane made a Ford-specific Energizer cast rocker. Way I found
    out that they had changed was I had to replace a couple, and when I did, I found
    the new ones were different, and the geometry was wrong. Then I found out why.

BTW, a lot of the early valve guide problems that gave the Twisted Wedge heads
    a bad reputation, were caused by people using these rockers.

You will not achieve anything close to proper valvetrain geometry with these
    rockers on a Ford.

I don't know if the same holds true for the 1.7 bolt-down rockers, since I've sworn
    off the Energizers, but the 1.7 stud-mount Energizer rockers are also listed as the
    same for SBC and SBF...
    Like I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by TWR2003 View Post
    JACook,
    Your advice is usually right on the mark ...
    And this time is no different.

Im a bit surprised at Crane because usually they would not 'cut corners' like that. A Ford rocker is a Ford rocker and a brand x is a brand x - I doesnt make sense for them to say 'well they are very close...' but it looks like that is what they are doing if what you say is true. And I am going to take your word for it. Its too bad because I dont need an extruded rocker for my street engine and I could have saved some $$ and had a rocker that had more clearance inside the stock cast VCs. But I dont want to save short money at the expense of longer term problems. Thanks for the heads up.

T
    Last edited by TWR2003; 11-30-2008 at 08:44 PM.

i've debated about putting roller rockers on my car, but they kind of scare me, unless you have the proper screens in the engine should they throw a needle bearing.

cale

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    i've debated about putting roller rockers on my car, but they kind of scare me, unless you have the proper screens in the engine should they throw a needle bearing.

cale
    Gee, I guess Ive never heard of that one (screens). Anyone know how likely that type of failure is? Arent there needle bearings inside the rollers in the stock roller lifters or the roller rockers Ford used on the Cobra engine?? Wouldnt that be the same issue. Those engines dont have 'screens'.

T

I've hread of that on high rpm engines the cast style is more likely to throw out a needle because of the flex. A quality machined non-cast wont.

I highly recommend the Harland Sharp roller rockers. They are a very good product and the company is great to deal with. I have ran their roller rockers for about 10 years now.

http://www.harlandsharp.com/

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...Ns=&rsview=sku

--Vince
    + Jalapeņo Red 1985 Mustang GT, 347 in^3, Canfield heads, 650DP, X-Celerator, & 1-5/8" LT's
    + Tremec 3550, D&D shifter, 3.73:1 gears, & TrueTrac differential
    + EVM watts & 3-link, Homemade LCA's, & Koni SA's
    + '00 Cobra R Brembos in front and SN95 Cobra rear brakes, R58 rims, & 275/40R17 Falkens
    www.1985mustanggt.com

avoid yellow-terra rocker. There not bad quality. There are a bad design(unless they changed them). There's too much weight over the valve stem and the tend to cause valve flow at about 6500 because of it.

Anyone ever try Cat Pep rockers? I've never heard anything bad (or good for that matter) about them and they're a little cheaper than Scorpions. Might be an option...
    1979 Base Model Coupe- 351w, C4, 3.73s, the fun machine- Now getting a lot more well deserved mileage put on her!
    2007 Forest River Sunseeker 2200 Class C motorhome on an E-450 chassis. Oh yeah!
    2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV Premium- Marine Blue w/ 5-speed, awesome little car.

I have the CAT shaft mount 1.6 roller rockers on my 302. I wouldn't buy them again but having said that, here is the good and bad.

Good
    The rockers themselves look to be of good quality.
    The pedestals look like decent quality CNC machined parts.
    The basic design is sturdy and shouldn't allow for much deflection.

Bad
    The fasteners that came with mine were of HORRIBLE quality. They heads of the allen screws were not concentric with the shaft and the threads were cut not rolled like any grade 5 or better fastener is required to be.
    I bought a box of grade 10.5 metric socket head cap screws at Fastenall to hold the shafts to the pedestals before I even installed them.
    I tried to find some better quality 7/16 bolts to hold the pedestals to the head but the short head on the cap screw prevented me from finding some that would clear the rockers.
    On the first long drive when I spun the engine up, one of the adjusting bolts snapped where the lock nut clamped it down to the rocker. This allowed the adjuster to back off the push rod but didn't damage anything.
    CAT did send me a half a set of new adjusters and since I complained so much about the 7/16 bolts they sent me a half set of those too.
    It turns out that the new 7/16 bolts were a more proper grade 10.5 fastener with rolled threads and concentric heads.
    Unfortunately, the next long drive broke one of the new adjusters.
    I finally found out that the 3/8 x 24 threaded pushrod cup style adjuster is used by Jessel on their high end Nascar shaft mount systems. I ordered $60.00 worth of Nascar cast off Jessel rockers from ebay and used the adjusters from them. I now have about 4,000 miles on the setup without any failures.
    Last edited by svocapri; 12-03-2008 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by svocapri View Post
    I now have about 4,000 miles on the setup without any failures.
    Update!!!
    They Failed.
    The rocker trunnion shafts were not sufficiently hardened and the roller bearings galled the shaft. I tested the rocker shafts on a Rockwell hardness tester and they were in the low 40's. They bearing manufacture recomends a minimum of rc52.
    Julian

85 Capri - Hydroboost, 2004 rack conversion, Saginaw PS pump, SVO 4wheel disks & suspension Megasquirt.

Quote Originally Posted by v8only View Post
    the scorpion roller rockers are priced decently, and are of good quality. My bro has been running them for several years now without any issues.
    +1 that is what I am running on my new BOSS motor

Quote Originally Posted by 86fiveoh View Post
    +1 that is what I am running on my new BOSS motor
    I'm running them on my GT. No out of the ordinary type of noise.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/