Close

Default What are good speakers for the rear area in 85gt Hatch

Hi All, I want to put new speakers in the rear of my 85 Gt hatch, I'd like to keep the stock speaker gills and make it look stock. What size are they or what would you recomend?

I use pioneer 6X8 3 ways. They sound good. But, because of the way Ford designed where the speakers went... they sound is still a bit weird.

BTW: the original speakers were 5 X 7. But the 6 X 8 fits in there.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

If all you are doing is those speakers, I'd recommend a good quality 6x8. If you are planning on adding a subwoofer, I wouldn't bother even putting speakers back there, you won't hear them. Add door speakers and get good quality dash speakers.

I'm replacing the dash speakers as well, Want to keep it stock looking. But I think a 6x8 is the way I'm going to go as long as they fit in the stock fittings and with the factory grills
    Last edited by 85GTPony; 07-08-2011 at 03:38 PM.

They will. I'm running Kicker 3.5's in the dash, they fit perfectly, and sound awesome.

What model number on the Kicker 3.5s?

Some 6x8 Pioneers come with 2 sets of mounting holes, specifically for Ford 5x7 mounting. I have some cheap Pioneers in the back and JL 3.5s in the dash, with a super cheap/barely working Walmart head unit LOL. I listen to the car more than the stereo
    -EVIL SSP-
    '85 KY Highway Patrol SSP Coupe
    Walk around/exhaust clip

-David

FEP Super Member

I have 3 way Pioneer 6x9's in the rear and 1 Audiobahn 5.25" component in the dash with 2 1" tweeters in the outer portions of the dash
    71 Dodge Demon Green/Blk big turbo slant 6 in progress
    83 GT Red/Blk HCI 306/ 3550/ 4.30 8.8
    93 LX Reef Blue/ Grey stock bolts on's/ T5/ 3.55 8.8
    page 1 of my 83 GT build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=85989

93 LX build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...73#post1569973

The stock size os technically 6x8. Alot of people call them 5x7's. There both the same exact size, why i dont know. A 6x8 is quite a bit smaller than a 6x9. Yet every 5x7 and 6x8 i have put next to each other were identical in size. So either will fit in the stock location. I put polk 3.5's up front and i just put in a set of clarion 6x8 3ways in the back. I had never bought anything clarion before but liked the specs. They put out a pretty surprising amount of bass for the size. They go down to 30hz which is also good for there size and are over 90db in sensitivity. The highs are nice and clear.
    2013 Focus ST3 2.0 turbo 6 speed

85 LTD, 90k miles, 3.8/c5,For sale... Or restomod if it doesn't sell

87 Conquest TSI widebody 2.6 Turbo/5speed, also maybe for sale

94 Tempo 3.0v6/5speed 92 GLS clone project

90 gmc sierra 2wd short box. 73k showroom condition, fender flares, 31" BFG All terrain. 350ci 4.10 gear

So 6x8's fit and mount to the factory rear speaker covers? Without any mod's?

I installed some 6x8 Kickers tonight and did zero mods

I have Boston Acoustics in the rear as well as under the dash. I would tell you how they sound but I'm waiting on the faceplate for the head unit to come in the mail, I'll keep you updated.

Quote Originally Posted by jarrettdad View Post
    What model number on the Kicker 3.5s?
    Kicker KS350's.

I just ordered Polk 570's 5x7/6x8's , Have Pioneers 878's in front dash they sound great.

Quote Originally Posted by Marz View Post
    I use pioneer 6X8 3 ways. They sound good. But, because of the way Ford designed where the speakers went... they sound is still a bit weird.

BTW: the original speakers were 5 X 7. But the 6 X 8 fits in there.
    I have the same speakers, but dont know if i increased the size though. however, no matter what you put back there, its all going to be pointless as its after the mufflers. If you have any type of aftermarket exahust (especially Flowmasters), its going to be a waste. since your putting in the time, maybe relocate them to where the 87-93s are in the back seat area.
    1986 Gt: 331, vic jr heads, TFS R intake, custom Camshaft Innovations cam, 75 mm t-body, 80mm MAF, 4.10 gears, 31 spline axles, 5 lug conversion, Anderson PMS, Innovate LM2 wideband.... and a lot of other supporting parts!

Thought I'd revive an old thread instead of starting a new one.

I'm looking into getting a pair of 6x8s for the back of my 85GT. I have a factory tape deck in.

Is it worth upgrading the speakers in the rear?

I'm not interested in cutting the doors. How hard is it to replace the front speakers in the dash?

In keeping with believing in recycling good factory parts from the salvage yards:

Out back, factory 6x8 2 way from the front doors of 94?+ Explorer Limited, Expedition work very good.
    The ones with the sealed back enclosure. Mach, etc. Are next level up from Premium Sound.
    Rated up to 25w rms, which is plenty really without disturbing anyone outside.

Yup got 6 of them back there, 3 per side. Two in panels, 4 across back trim.
    More speaker area, more bass.
    Good clean bass if amped a little.
    Have the same ones in my Ranger. Four in stock locations.
    But with no amp, kind of weak sound, even at full vol, bass, and treble.

Actually little compact box house speakers work too.
    A pair of KLH 970A did not sound bad at all just sitting back there 'loose'.

Factory radios really need a 4 ch amp to get pleasurable sound quality.
    The radios start to roll off whatever bass they have after 1/2-2/3 volume setting.

2 channel on the back will work, but a 4 really wakes the factory radio up.
    Any more wattage is kind of hard to control for low listening levels and sucks up power.
    Most aftermarket front speakers are limited to 25w rms or so anyway.

Connections (phasing and ohms) have to be right for the speakers. So does gain and crossovers if adding amp.
    Easy to do and takes time. Listening to music for hours to get it right.

Fronts are not that hard after removing the dash pad and using a right angle or offset screwdriver.

Use pioneer 6x8 4 way speakers lightweight elastic polymer surround for high sensitivity

I know it's semi-taboo in the bumping of these old threads, but speaker threads are great ones to update, if for no other reason than to look back at how the audio industry has moved along...
    Just installed a set of Rockford Punch series (I believe) 5x7s in an old f150. I usually steered clear of RF, but these blew my teeny tiny mind. I've installed literally over a hundred sets of 5x7 / 6x8 over the years and have always been a Pioneer man (from day one) but these set a new level for me. Crossed them at around 60 HZ. BooYow. Im sold.